Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Discussion topic - SL Feeder club effect on us

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Its only going to get worse. Lets say for example, you have a couple of local players who aren't getting a game for a few weeks, then they said sod it. ' I'm not going to come and train, whats the point of me coming me 3-4 times a week, slogging my ###### off if I'm not going to get a game anyway '. Then these players turn to somewhere else, because they love playing rugby. What happens if the dual reg players get called back because they've had a few injuries in the team, and then the the local team has no other players to call on.
I'm all for dual reg when we've got injuries, thats what it was meant for wasn't it.
Its like a certain number of people have said, the Championship is a way for SL Teams to get rid of their surplus players without paying them, and then using them because they can !
I just hope we can hold our heads high at the end of the season and say we played to the best of our ability without the ' help ' of SL Teams. I really hope supporters understand this.
FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#22 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

Its only going to get worse. Lets say for example, you have a couple of local players who aren't getting a game for a few weeks, then they said sod it. ' I'm not going to come and train, whats the point of me coming me 3-4 times a week, slogging my ###### off if I'm not going to get a game anyway '. Then these players turn to somewhere else, because they love playing rugby. What happens if the dual reg players get called back because they've had a few injuries in the team, and then the the local team has no other players to call on.
I'm all for dual reg when we've got injuries, thats what it was meant for wasn't it.
Its like a certain number of people have said, the Championship is a way for SL Teams to get rid of their surplus players without paying them, and then using them because they can !
I just hope we can hold our heads high at the end of the season and say we played to the best of our ability without the ' help ' of SL Teams. I really hope supporters understand this.

I think your right. IF the fans stick with the club we will emerge stronger than those clubs that have gone or DR.
They will be forking out big money and for most of them that will be a huge drain on their resources as they don't get the crowds to sustain that. Hunslet for example cannot pay the sort of money that their dual reg players would expect on the low crowds they get. ( unless Leeds are still picking up the bill? And if they are how is that a level paying field?)
There are going to be a lot of teams that don't finish with anything to show for the season, there are only 3 prizes on offer( NR Cup, league leaders shield and play off winner) how will those teams justify that?
The key is for the fans to realise that whilst we might lose a few games ( or a lot) as long as they still come the club will emerge the stronger. This is no time for the faint hearted!
Please everyone lets just support the Raiders what ever. Those of you that travelled to Gateshead and the two Welsh teams last year will have witnessed what a great atmosphere can be generated even in adversity.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#23 IanFalkiner

IanFalkiner
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

Hi,speaking as a Fev fan I agree with the above points and just have patience. I think this season,for Barrow, may be about survival but then you will come out of it stronger. Think about it come Easter the SL clubs will want all their squads available for themselves. In addition the young SL players may be full of enthusiasum now but are they physically up to a full and long season? Best of luck (except when playing Fev of course}

#24 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

Its ok for Fev to go solo, and i agree with you guys doing so, since you are strong enough to win the title yet again without reliance on SL clubs. However, a club like Barrow isnt in the same position. I feel that pride has come before our fall.
How long till fans start calling for a change of coach if the team constantly loses?

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#25 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Oh what a great spirit on here. Are you's really fans? Lets just shut the place down and fold the club because of 1 heavy defeat.

#26 STW

STW
  • Coach
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

I read with interest in this weeks League Express that EVERY Warrington squad member is duel registered with Swinton. Also the 4 Wolves players who have signed for The Lions ''permanantly'', including Ryan Shaw, can be loaned back to Warrington if needed. If that's not a feeder club then what is?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Steve W

#27 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

its a discussion thread mate if you dont like it dont read it anymore

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#28 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

the feeder system is very much alive and well at Hunslet as well....Keinhorst recalled due to other injuries and two full blown SL props going to Hunslet for the Leigh game....

At least the old DR system was named players..... not a full squad to go at

Lee Morton

#29 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

its a discussion thread mate if you dont like it dont read it anymore

Relegation this and that. What's the point?

I thought the whole point of the link up was for the younger "fringe" players? Not the entire first team squad?

#30 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Hi,speaking as a Fev fan I agree with the above points and just have patience. I think this season,for Barrow, may be about survival but then you will come out of it stronger. Think about it come Easter the SL clubs will want all their squads available for themselves. In addition the young SL players may be full of enthusiasum now but are they physically up to a full and long season? Best of luck (except when playing Fev of course}

except when playing Feth is about right you wont give a rats asss if barrow go down thats why these lower clubs are going down this route to survive and Feth would have done the same thing a few years back when they nearly went bust clubs do what has to be done in this day and age if people where honest no body wants to go down to div1 if truth where known
chappy

#31 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

except when playing Feth is about right you wont give a rats asss if barrow go down thats why these lower clubs are going down this route to survive and Feth would have done the same thing a few years back when they nearly went bust clubs do what has to be done in this day and age if people where honest no body wants to go down to div1 if truth where known

You're quite right, the clubs are going down this route in order to try to prevent being relegated. So if no clubs did it, we'd be in pretty much the same situation as we are now. So why not get rid of the DR system, and let's see which teams are the best using their own players, rather than which has access to the best players from another club?

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#32 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

keighley the latest team loining up with cas

#33 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

You're quite right, the clubs are going down this route in order to try to prevent being relegated. So if no clubs did it, we'd be in pretty much the same situation as we are now. So why not get rid of the DR system, and let's see which teams are the best using their own players, rather than which has access to the best players from another club?

Then it all boils down to who spends most money achieving just the same outcome only then clubs over spend and go under anyway no sugar daddy and small gates means these clubs dont have much choice Gazza Barrow are a shining example you where riding high until the monies dried up and now you are on a slippery slope as we saw on Sunday are you prepared or want to go down that route well The Hawks and such dont thats why its the only option left for them
chappy

#34 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Then it all boils down to who spends most money achieving just the same outcome only then clubs over spend and go under anyway no sugar daddy and small gates means these clubs dont have much choice Gazza Barrow are a shining example you where riding high until the monies dried up and now you are on a slippery slope as we saw on Sunday are you prepared or want to go down that route well The Hawks and such dont thats why its the only option left for them

All clubs will always be better off than others though, no matter what the system is. Fev may be in a fortunate position now, as Barrow showed, this doesn't always last.

I accept the Hawks don't want to get left behind by other clubs who have access to players from SL sides, which is why they have the agreement, however in my opinion, it would be far better to stop the system and have a level playing field. Keighley have today announced they are going to enter an arrangement with Cas. I'd doubt they'd get the same standard of players as the Hawks are getting from Leeds, as the Cas squad is not as strong as the Leeds one. Shouldn't the results for the Hawks and the Cougars (and others) be based upon the quality of their own players and coaching staff, rather than by which SL club is prepared to lend their partner club the best 1st team squad members?

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#35 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

All clubs will always be better off than others though, no matter what the system is. Fev may be in a fortunate position now, as Barrow showed, this doesn't always last.

I accept the Hawks don't want to get left behind by other clubs who have access to players from SL sides, which is why they have the agreement, however in my opinion, it would be far better to stop the system and have a level playing field. Keighley have today announced they are going to enter an arrangement with Cas. I'd doubt they'd get the same standard of players as the Hawks are getting from Leeds, as the Cas squad is not as strong as the Leeds one. Shouldn't the results for the Hawks and the Cougars (and others) be based upon the quality of their own players and coaching staff, rather than by which SL club is prepared to lend their partner club the best 1st team squad members?

Gazza there will never ever be a level playing field thats my point is all down to money if everyone had the same gates the same overheads then fine but they dont its dog eat dog live or die thats life im afraid but i wish it was all a matter of a level playing field mate
chappy

#36 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

I thought the whole point of the link up was for the younger "fringe" players? Not the entire first team squad?

Precisely mate this whole squad business is a bleedin joke I too thought it was only the U-23's ??????

Lee Morton

#37 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Gazza there will never ever be a level playing field thats my point is all down to money if everyone had the same gates the same overheads then fine but they dont its dog eat dog live or die thats life im afraid but i wish it was all a matter of a level playing field mate

I agree it is survival of the fittest, in to a certain extent, that's the whole point of competitive sport. My point is that I feel that we would be better with a system of independence rather than the results of teams in the Championship potentially being down to simply being the ones that have the richest SL partner.

I'm happy to agree to disagree though, especially as I think that over the season, the effect on the DR teams will be detrimental, due to disruption caused by the constant changes to the players available.

Please view my photos.

#38 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Precisely mate this whole squad business is a bleedin joke I too thought it was only the U-23's ??????

All the clubs are turning into a super league A team. Sad times.

#39 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

I think we've been quite unlucky how it has panned out so far. If we had been in CC for the last 4 years and had built up a squad then we would have a much greater chance in staying up in the division. But now we are having to build up a squad of our own players on the back of a promotion not only too compete with CC level sides but now we are having too compete with SL quality players when we play teams reserve sides.

I think we will steadily improve as the season goes on as we'll have a more together squad. For example 2 hunslet props are now going to be dropped for Leuleuai and Richard Moore this week after they played in a winning side and didn't do anything wrong? How are these players going to feel about this? If they're on a pay as you play basis I'd imagine they'd be very annoyed, so when it gets to easter and the end of the season will these lads give 100% when they are forced to play? I'm not too sure.

Also the salary cap makes these link ups even more of a joke. How can we possibly afford the likes of Paul Wood, Kylie Leuleuai under a 300k salary cap. It gives the reserve sides a massive advantage which we just can't compete with. Players which are on 100k+ at SL level are an equivalent too £1500 a game under the Championship salary cap. So if they played every game thats £39k a season. Are we going to be able to find international players who will pay for £39k a year, no we arn't.

So the result of this is that Hunslet who had around 300 of their own fans when they played us can afford the likes of Kylie Leuleuai and Richard Moore which is an absolute joke. It's a disgrace to the competition if I'm honest, whilst if we get 4 times the crowds Hunslet do we can't afford the same caliber players they can because we don't want to be a sides reserve team.

Hunslet fans can say it wins us games so there isn't anything wrong with it. You arn't going to be winning the games Leeds most likely are. If you want to go see Leeds players win games why don't you go to watch them in SL. Which in hindsight is what the RFL want you to do.

#40 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

They will be forking out big money and for most of them that will be a huge drain on their resources as they don't get the crowds to sustain that. Hunslet for example cannot pay the sort of money that their dual reg players would expect on the low crowds they get. ( unless Leeds are still picking up the bill? And if they are how is that a level paying field?)...

That's one of the issues as the DRs are paid by their parent club not the CC club, with a notional salary cap value for each game depending on their actual salary eg a SL player on £100k+ pa has a salary cap value of £1500 for each game he playes for the CC club.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users