Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tetley’s to sponsor the Challenge Cup

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#21 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Lets hope all players,coaches,administrators,journalists,broadcasters and supporters all refer to it as the Tetley's Challenge Cup and not the Challenge Cup - ru seem to be able to do it with Heineken.

#22 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

How do I add an image from My Pictures?

On the RFL site their scrolling news pic thing has a photo of this with a backing board which looks like it has Super League logos on too... Tetley double whammy?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#23 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

I prefer the bottom version. Do we get to vote?... :D

Fantastic News. The logos remind me a little of 'League of the Extraordinary' too. :)
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#24 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Lets hope all players,coaches,administrators,journalists,broadcasters and supporters all refer to it as the Tetley's Challenge Cup and not the Challenge Cup - ru seem to be able to do it with Heineken.

or Eddie Hemmings' "distraction of..."

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#25 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Excellent news

Just wait for the deluded gang to come along and mump on about it being too northern and "flat cap"

#26 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

How do I add an image from My Pictures?

On the RFL site their scrolling news pic thing has a photo of this with a backing board which looks like it has Super League logos on too... Tetley double whammy?

No,Tetleys is the official beer of SL.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#27 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Oh, sod it. Go on the RFL site to see what I mean for yourselves.

Edited by hindle xiii, 22 January 2013 - 01:41 PM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#28 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Excellent news. Where is it brewed (if that is the correct word!) there days?

Marsdons brewery in Wolverhampton.

A decent sponsor for the cup - seems to have been a 180 degree change in strategy at the RFL as last year they were firmly against gambling and alcohol companies as sponsors. Maybe they're finally waking up to the fact that the game's northern working class roots are a strength and not a weakness to be ashamed of as seems to have been the case recently.

Tetley are a good fit, well done whoever brought them on board.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#29 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,724 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Great news - very nice logos!

#30 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Great news, love the logo; the Challenge Cup appearing next to a monocle clad huntsman, proof that we are appealing not just to the Jeremy Kyle demographic. ;)
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#31 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

No,Tetleys is the official beer of SL.

Ahhh of course, it'll say 'official beer' underneath. D'uh brain.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#32 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Fantastic News. The logos remind me a little of 'League of the Extraordinary' too. :)

I think that might have been done on purpose mate. Great if so!
Posted Image

#33 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Here's a better picture of the logo...

That looks great. More good news!

#34 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,724 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Marsdons brewery in Wolverhampton.

A decent sponsor for the cup - seems to have been a 180 degree change in strategy at the RFL as last year they were firmly against gambling and alcohol companies as sponsors. Maybe they're finally waking up to the fact that the game's northern working class roots are a strength and not a weakness to be ashamed of as seems to have been the case recently.

Tetley are a good fit, well done whoever brought them on board.

Irrespective of the fit with the sport, we seem to have been the only sport in this country certainly, that have avoided these sponsors.
I think it is fine if you have two sponsors offering the same package that you can have these principles, but when football and RU are going round with sponsorship from Budweiser, Carling, Tetleys etc and we are being stubborn then it doesn't make sense.

#35 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,381 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Irrespective of the fit with the sport, we seem to have been the only sport in this country certainly, that have avoided these sponsors.
I think it is fine if you have two sponsors offering the same package that you can have these principles, but when football and RU are going round with sponsorship from Budweiser, Carling, Tetleys etc and we are being stubborn then it doesn't make sense.

Maybe it was unneccessary stubbornness, but finding sponsorship is tough in the current financial climate. My personal prejudices find a beer company significantly more acceptable than a loan shark or gambling company.

And compared to Budweiser, Heineken, Carling, etc., at least we're not linking our wonderful game with a nasty fizzy lager! :D

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#36 brooza

brooza
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

That's because it's the Heineken Cup rather than the Tetley's Cup. Do they refer to the Amlin Challenge Cup by its full name?
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#37 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

That's because it's the Heineken Cup rather than the Tetley's Cup. Do they refer to the Amlin Challenge Cup by its full name?

They do, as it happens. And the Magners League too.

But thats for another forum...
Posted Image

#38 brooza

brooza
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

They do, as it happens. And the Magners League too.

Fair enough. Honestly had no idea if they did or not
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#39 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

I think it's because our cup has a far longer heritage than those comps - like how stadium naming rights are most expensive when it first opens as people will forever call it that regardless of future sponsors

Edited by Amber Avenger, 22 January 2013 - 02:04 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#40 Lionheart_merged

Lionheart_merged
  • Coach
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Good news and agree that Tetley's is a good fit for the sport. We had the Stones Bitter Championship for many years which was a similar fit. Great logo also. Let's hope the RFL can come up with a recognised main sponsor for Super Lwague and then we can kick on to the world cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users