Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tetley’s to sponsor the Challenge Cup

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#81 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

12/13 BBC LIVE TV matches this is taking the p--s.

I count 12 matches in total, 8 on BBC

Edited by brooza, 23 January 2013 - 09:34 AM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#82 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

The new deal according to SL club sources will be made up of £400K cash and a similar amount in promotion.

A lot a people's complaints in the past has been with sponsors not doing anything to promote the game. This will be a pleasant change
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#83 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

I count 12 matches in total, 8 on BBC

Indeed, fewer matches on terrestrial since last year, so less exposure. On the upside, Sky are now acknowledging the existence of the tournament. I'll be interested to see what Tetleys have planned as regards promotional work.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#84 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

Indeed, fewer matches on terrestrial since last year, so less exposure. On the upside, Sky are now acknowledging the existence of the tournament. I'll be interested to see what Tetleys have planned as regards promotional work.

Same amount on the BBC as last year - it's the second year of BBC/Sky sharing the cup
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#85 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Apparently Leeds Brewery is becoming very popular and growing .It will look amusing if they ever got the CC sponsorship gig

Good beer. Their brewery tap by the station is bally expensive though.

#86 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Carnegie's deal was reported as being between £6m and £10m over 6 years

I think you have to be careful when talking about Carnegie, which after all is part of a public sector organisation. For a number of years Leeds Met had a Vice Chancellor who was busy spending large sums of essentially taxpayers money on vanity projects such as buying into a professional rugby union club, paying for a new stand at Headingley as well as his wife enjoying very generous perks on 'university business'.

And then there was the generous sponsorship of the Challenge Cup, done in an era where public sector spending was going through the roof. I know the Stobart no cash deal doesn't help, but to expect to get anything near the over-inflated £'s of the Carnegie deal in these economically challenging times is completely unrealistic IMO.

#87 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Same amount on the BBC as last year - it's the second year of BBC/Sky sharing the cup

Yep; I said "since last year", not "compared to last year".

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#88 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Yep; I said "since last year", not "compared to last year".

Yeah sorry, although to be fair it can be read both ways and if you look at the post as a whole it did look as if it was new info to you. I thought that you would have known that, and you do, so please ignore me!

Edited by Amber Avenger, 23 January 2013 - 10:08 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#89 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

I hope its a realisation of our strengths, subsequently 'sold' to prospective partners. We also Bank, own cars, have insurances, Mobiles, media/broadband, utilities, shop, go on holiday,etc

I have said numerous times we are bigger than Wales and Scotland combined, and are the second most watched team sport on Sky - lets tell more people of the partnership benefits, especially if we can unite the sport.

#90 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Beer & Fags sponsorship back on board again then?
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#91 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Marriott hotels announced as an official partner of the World Cup.

That is all.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#92 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,069 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

That is NOT all. You missed: Farce, shambles, embarrassment.

#93 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Heads must roll. A bloke I know who knows a bloke who knows everything about this deal says it's a disaster, FACT. ;)

#94 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

My Source says that this "deal", if you can call it that, is only allowing the players and tourists the opportunity to stay in standard twin, double and family rooms. We should have aimed for executive and junior suites all round - farce.

Who needs a hotel sponsorship anyway, this makes RL look like a laughing stock to my work colleagues who know nothing about RL, but for some reason want to know about the sponsorship deals we have in place

#95 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

D'oh. I meant 'that is all' as in 'carry on'. A quick interjection and continue with the thread. Until Webby piped up!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#96 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Gareth Walker on Twitter:

Wood conceded that the SL and Champs seasons might start without title sponsors but it was to ensure the right deals are found

#97 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Gareth Walker on Twitter:

Wood conceded that the SL and Champs seasons might start without title sponsors but it was to ensure the right deals are found

I would have thought potential sponsors will pay less if they come in board during the season? Good to see they are holding out for what they think it's worth. Wonder if the Stobarts deal is having an impact on what companies think it's worth though.?

#98 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

I would have thought potential sponsors will pay less if they come in board during the season? Good to see they are holding out for what they think it's worth. Wonder if the Stobarts deal is having an impact on what companies think it's worth though.?

The fact is that can work both ways. The deal ended because the RFL said they wanted cash deals instead.

The RFL have demonstrated that they are prepared to either not take a deal, cancel a deal or go with no cash if the offers are not right. Personally I don't get the how the Stobart deal has weakened it. There is a very valid argument that the actions of the RFL have shown sponsors that they will take deals that suit them only.

#99 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 494 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Just an idea here for some one to develop for publicity for the World Cup based on the fact that Tetley's is now brewed in Wolverhampton.
Have a few supporters doing something stood outside the brewery and all speaking in various different Midlands accents.i

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#100 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Seeing RL being taken for a ride with things like this deal i find depressing the poster after this has just quoted 800K for 2 years (400K a year) which is the exact amount that was being bounded about by the SL clubs last week.

Just to be clear, various news outlets today (seemingly from the same PA story) have been reporting the two-year deal as being "seven figures."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users