• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

http://www.examiner....86081-32625707/

It's all gone very quiet regarding our dual reg signings, but I saw the link above and thought it might be of interest.

2 wingers (by the look of it, although 1 of them is reputed as being 6'2") have been made available. A position where I think we have looked very strong in the friendlies.

Has anyone else heard anything regarding possible signings?

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 22 January 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#2 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Slight Edit to the post above, Ben Blackmore is listed as a scrum half on the Giants squad page on Wikipedia (can anyone confirm this, or know anything about him?).

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 22 January 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#3 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

http://www.examiner....86081-32625707/

It's all gone very quiet regarding our dual reg signings, but I saw the link above and thought it might be of interest.

2 wingers (by the look of it, although 1 of them is reputed as being 6'2") have been made available. A position where I think we have looked very strong in the friendlies.

Has anyone else heard anything regarding possible signings?

Now this is where it gets interesting with these aggreements. Do we need a new winger? I would suggest no. Will he be better than Campbell, Potts or anyone else we have at the club who can play there. It may be me, but the tone of the article suggests that Huddersfield expect them to play. Maybe it's me just feeling paranoid. It may not matter for a friendly, but will two young lads who have played nothing more than reserve team rugby at best be good enough to get in the team, and if not, then they should not be selected.

#4 Chris_T

Chris_T
  • Coach
  • 398 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Any winger getting a starting shirt for us once the League starts would have to be a Superleague first teamer not a fringe player. In Potts and Johnson, with Campbell and Greenwood as back up we must have the strongest outside backs in the Championship. I still cant believe Alex Brown has gone to superleague before Pottsy, hes twice the player Brown is in my opinion.

#5 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Dual reg will cause unrest in the camp in my opinion Time will tell I suppose

#6 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Matty Dawson is a winger/centre who when signed by Huddersfield from Castleford was a stand off. Batley lack cover at halfback with Gareth Moore recovering from his operation and Danny Whitmore not looking good enough at halfback (He did ok against Keighley at Hooker). I am assuming half-back is where Batley might play Matty Dawson in a friendly.

Ben Blackmore is a winger. If Greenwood gets injured then Potts or Campbell will have to play at fullback. I am not convinced by Johnson's ability to take a high ball in winter/wet conditions .Playing Blackmore in a friendly will give Batley a chance to look at him and to judge if Batley have another option if Johnson continues to struggle under the high ball.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#7 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Matty Dawson is a winger/centre who when signed by Huddersfield from Castleford was a stand off. Batley lack cover at halfback with Gareth Moore recovering from his operation and Danny Whitmore not looking good enough at halfback (He did ok against Keighley at Hooker). I am assuming half-back is where Batley might play Matty Dawson in a friendly.

Ben Blackmore is a winger. If Greenwood gets injured then Potts or Campbell will have to play at fullback. I am not convinced by Johnson's ability to take a high ball in winter/wet conditions .Playing Blackmore in a friendly will give Batley a chance to look at him and to judge if Batley have another option if Johnson continues to struggle under the high ball.

Thanks for the input Trev.

It should be interesting to see how Dawson plays along side Black, I must admit I haven't been overly impressed by either Whitmore or Hemingway.

Whitmore's distribution was too slow against Keighley IMO and Hemingway didn't do much until the letter stages of the game, even his kicking game was poor. However, that said it must be very difficult, if not impossible, to join a new club and be at full speed right from the word go; especially in the half back and hooker positions.

#8 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 677 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

I`d be prepared to give players more that two friendlies to prove themselves!

#9 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 671 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Hemingway has played well for me. Hard working and quick. Also it'll be greenwood at FB with Potts and JC on the wings. Johnson will start out as backup. I doubt any Huddersfield fringe players will deserve to walk into the team and if they do we will know strings are being pulled by the Giants.

The dual reg players looked out of their depth against Fax.

Walton and Black stood out for me.

#10 greydog

greydog
  • Coach
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Hemingway has played well for me. Hard working and quick. Also it'll be greenwood at FB with Potts and JC on the wings. Johnson will start out as backup. I doubt any Huddersfield fringe players will deserve to walk into the team and if they do we will know strings are being pulled by the Giants.

The dual reg players looked out of their depth against Fax.

Walton and Black stood out for me.

I thought that Blackmoore looked promising

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users