Photo
- - - - -

RL on TV - General discussion (merged threads/posts)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Certainly more of a gamble, however if the objective of this campaign is brand awareness (they stated this last year with extraordinaryrugby) then it isn't that much of a gamble to be fair, as you aren't necessarily linking the ads to direct sales.

Being efficient isn't always the best way in marketing, although it is naturally what most would lean towards.

You can also reach the Granada and Yorkshire regions for cheaper than TV too.

We complain when the BBC refuse to show the SL Show nationally - on what grounds do we complain about this? It seems to me that we agree with them that we are a Yorkshire and Granada region sport.

What is galling is that the BBC show Cash in the Attic or a re-run of 'Allo 'Allo instead. I could understand if they had to drop something of significance to accomodate RL but it would cost them absolutely nothing to show SLS nationally, it would even simplify their schedule and even if the bulk of the audience would be in the north I cannot imagine that they would lose viewers because the alternatives to SLS are so very dire.

The situation is somewhat different for the RFL as they would like to advertise nationally if it cost no more than to advertise solely in the Yorks and Granada regions.

Edited by John Drake, 23 January 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

What is galling is that the BBC show Cash in the Attic or a re-run of 'Allo 'Allo instead. I could understand if they had to drop something of significance to accomodate RL but it would cost them absolutely nothing to show SLS nationally, it would even simplify their schedule and even if the bulk of the audience would be in the north I cannot imagine that they would lose viewers because the alternatives to SLS are so very dire.

The situation is somewhat different for the RFL as they would like to advertise nationally if it cost no more than to advertise solely in the Yorks and Granada regions.

Yep - of course we know that (and agree on this) but the black and white of it is that it strengthens the BBC's argument, irrespective of the fact that things are more complicated than that.

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Yep - of course we know that (and agree on this) but the black and white of it is that it strengthens the BBC's argument, irrespective of the fact that things are more complicated than that.

Super League Show returns to BBC One in North on Mon 4th Feb with the network repeat transmitting nationwide on BBC 2 on Tuesday afternoons

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Tuesday afternoons, now? Better - a bit, but not a lot.

Edited by Futtocks, 22 January 2013 - 04:43 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

While we're chatting about televisual presence, I hope there's a revamp of sky. Get rid of the Iron Man (Man of steel) intro and god awful Biffy Clyro, I much preferred the Two Tribes pedastal opening. Re-do Backchat so it isn't just Rod Studd shouting at Stevo. Fix Boots N All, keep SL Fulltime. In fact loan Rod out permanently to darts. Work around Bill Arthur, Brian Carney and John Kear. With ideally Dave Woods, Brian Noble and the lady from Premier Sports.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Still seems mental that they will move a Tuesday afternoon programme, but not a Monday night one!

#7 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

To be fair, with Sky+/V+ and BBC iPlayer now available on TV/Virgin/Sky and becoming more common in the majority of homes around the country, hopefully this won't be as much as an issue as it was a few years back.
Posted Image

#8 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

While we're chatting about televisual presence, I hope there's a revamp of sky. Get rid of the Iron Man (Man of steel) intro and god awful Biffy Clyro, I much preferred the Two Tribes pedastal opening. Re-do Backchat so it isn't just Rod Studd shouting at Stevo. Fix Boots N All, keep SL Fulltime. In fact loan Rod out permanently to darts. Work around Bill Arthur, Brian Carney and John Kear. With ideally Dave Woods, Brian Noble and the lady from Premier Sports.

I enjoyed Backchat an awful lot - maybe more than I should have done. I'd rather forego Boots & All and have Backchat extended from 30 mins to one hour - this would mean that Rod Studd can continue asking difficult/needling/ridiculous questions without sounding as if he's hyper-ventilating and on his way to a full-blown anxiety attack.

The main problem of this show is that, somewhere along the line, the Sky producer convinced himself that the presence of Stevo was vital to the show's success - leading to the incessant, phoney Punch and Judy flavour of Stevo & Studd's exchanges. With the eradication of the rugby league press from our national newspapers, this is a show that can at last redress the balance, even if only a little.

As for Biffy Clyro, I've just had to look them/he/she/it up... I thought, for one horrible moment, this might be a reference to the love child of Buffy St Marie and Miley Cyrus...

#9 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

The longest discusion in super league!

Super League Show returns to BBC One in North on Mon 4th Feb with the network repeat transmitting nationwide on BBC 2 on Tuesday afternoons

Posted Image

#10 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Tuesday afternoons? Weirdos
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,624 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

No Weirdos, just workingfromhomeos. Good move!

#12 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

No Weirdos, just workingfromhomeos. Good move!

lol, I meant the bbc not the homeos! I work from home on occasion, it'll be Tuesdays from now on obviously :)
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#13 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

How many regions will get to see it ?

#14 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

It's the worst rugby show going, the coverage is atrocious. Never watch it

#15 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

It was very poor until a couple of years ago. It's not badly put together these days.

#16 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,603 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

How do you know if you never watch it?
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#17 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

better than no rugby league show!

#18 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Boots and all, super league full time back chat!!!!! Get sky

#19 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

It's progress. It has gone from "the North only" to "the North only plus late night slot on Sunday" to "the North only plus Tuesday afternoon". It could be that a few years from now, it will be treated decently.

I think the improvement in production values of the SLS is partly responsible for this. It was probably difficult to make a decent case for the SLS back when it was cringingly bad.

#20 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

How do you know if you never watch it?

Used to and that why I don't now it's enough t put any off, get sky it's not tht expensive doing good offers I'll even refer you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users