Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RL on TV - General discussion (merged threads/posts)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Used to and that why I don't now it's enough t put any off, get sky it's not tht expensive doing good offers I'll even refer you

En Englais ,sil vous plait
Just used google translate.I have sky ,thank you.
Surely any exposure on tv is good.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 22 January 2013 - 08:10 PM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#22 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

It's progress. It has gone from "the North only" to "the North only plus late night slot on Sunday" to "the North only plus Tuesday afternoon". It could be that a few years from now, it will be treated decently.

I think the improvement in production values of the SLS is partly responsible for this. It was probably difficult to make a decent case for the SLS back when it was cringingly bad.

Agreed, though in a few years from now it probably won't matter one jot as we will all just download the programmes from our internet TV's and watch at our own leisure.

Agree on your second point too.
Posted Image

#23 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

I enjoyed Backchat an awful lot - maybe more than I should have done. I'd rather forego Boots & All and have Backchat extended from 30 mins to one hour - this would mean that Rod Studd can continue asking difficult/needling/ridiculous questions without sounding as if he's hyper-ventilating and on his way to a full-blown anxiety attack.

The main problem of this show is that, somewhere along the line, the Sky producer convinced himself that the presence of Stevo was vital to the show's success - leading to the incessant, phoney Punch and Judy flavour of Stevo & Studd's exchanges. With the eradication of the rugby league press from our national newspapers, this is a show that can at last redress the balance, even if only a little.

As for Biffy Clyro, I've just had to look them/he/she/it up... I thought, for one horrible moment, this might be a reference to the love child of Buffy St Marie and Miley Cyrus...

Agree with this. The Stevo element is what drags Backchat down, otherwise its about the only decent debate we get on rugby league anywhere.

I assume Biffy Clyro provide the music to one of the Sky RL programmes? Even having looked them up, I'm none the wiser, except they appear to be some kind of music combo from Scotland. No doubt my children have heard of them

#24 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

2.38 in is the SL music

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 22 January 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#25 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

I Don't agree with that, the programme is rubbish simples!!!! IMHO

#26 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Ah. Now I see. OK 'til they start singing.

#27 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

I Don't agree with that, the programme is rubbish simples!!!! IMHO

Yet you think boots n all is good,what we need is a British version of the footy show.

#28 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Ah. Now I see. OK 'til they start singing.

Spot on.

#29 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

I love Hullfan's posts, top quality.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#30 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Now your talking sense, see I knew you had a bit of it!

#31 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

Boots and all, super league full time back chat!!!!! Get sky

i have sky and i like all of them, to me the super league show is a refreshing change :D that's just my opinion though.
1,sl back chat
2 sl show
3 boots and all
that is the order i like it in.

watchin the games is enough of eddie and stevo for me

Edited by shun, 22 January 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#32 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

I love Hullfan's posts, top quality.

Your welcome, think all the smoke from the kc on Sunday gone to my head

#33 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

While we're chatting about televisual presence, I hope there's a revamp of sky. Get rid of the Iron Man (Man of steel) intro and god awful Biffy Clyro, I much preferred the Two Tribes pedastal opening. Re-do Backchat so it isn't just Rod Studd shouting at Stevo. Fix Boots N All, keep SL Fulltime. In fact loan Rod out permanently to darts. Work around Bill Arthur, Brian Carney and John Kear. With ideally Dave Woods, Brian Noble and the lady from Premier Sports.

I'll just be happy if they don't show the full time score before the highlights start. I've usually forgotten the scores by the time I watch the higlights shows, let me learn the scores as the game progresses!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#34 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

I'll just be happy if they don't show the full time score before the highlights start. I've usually forgotten the scores by the time I watch the higlights shows, let me learn the scores as the game progresses!

I'm assuming you mean primarily on Fulltime? That's the only one I watch religiously anyway. I do agree it does take something away, but neither do they have the progressive score either, the final score is in the bottom left through out. It's not too much of a nuisance for me as I only want to see the tries themselves. I'd happily bin Boots N All for a feature length Fulltime a la MoTD. But perhaps there's a time issue for the staff at 10pm on a Sunday night.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#35 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

More highlights and analysis, not just tries. Boots n All and Backchat are horrific tabloid trash. Nothing wrong with Biffy Clyro though.

#36 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

To be fair, with Sky+/V+ and BBC iPlayer now available on TV/Virgin/Sky and becoming more common in the majority of homes around the country, hopefully this won't be as much as an issue as it was a few years back.

It is still an issue. Those outside the North of England who watch the show do it because they've made the effort to record it or to go on line and search iPlayer for that particular programme. In other words, it preaches solely to the converted.

If it was shown nationally at a sensible time, new fans would discover the game. How many people stumbled upon the SLS when it was shown at 4am, apart from the occasional shift worker watching BBC2's News 24 slot? How many people discover the show on a Tuesday afternoon?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#37 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

I'm assuming you mean primarily on Fulltime? That's the only one I watch religiously anyway. I do agree it does take something away, but neither do they have the progressive score either, the final score is in the bottom left through out. It's not too much of a nuisance for me as I only want to see the tries themselves. I'd happily bin Boots N All for a feature length Fulltime a la MoTD. But perhaps there's a time issue for the staff at 10pm on a Sunday night.

Fulltime and SLS. SLS in particular, as by the time I get to see it on a Tuesday, it's been 4 days since some of the matches and my memory really isn't great

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#38 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Fulltime and SLS. SLS in particular, as by the time I get to see it on a Tuesday, it's been 4 days since some of the matches and my memory really isn't great

I sense Webby may drop in an advert for League Express in a minute or too... :D

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#39 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

While we're chatting about televisual presence, I hope there's a revamp of sky. Get rid of the Iron Man (Man of steel) intro and god awful Biffy Clyro, I much preferred the Two Tribes pedastal opening. Re-do Backchat so it isn't just Rod Studd shouting at Stevo. Fix Boots N All, keep SL Fulltime. In fact loan Rod out permanently to darts. Work around Bill Arthur, Brian Carney and John Kear. With ideally Dave Woods, Brian Noble and the lady from Premier Sports.

I actually really like the 'Iron Man' intro on Sky - it gets me pumped up for games and I think it does a good job of reflecting the tough nature of rugby league.

#40 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Yes, I quite like it too. It could be worse, we could go back to that guff we used to have with them making a SL player in a science lab
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users