Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League - don't ya just love it

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Chief Exec Nigel Wood on the new season

http://www.independe...on-8462299.html

Is there any other sport where the Chief Exec is quoted, not only saying we've got a the opportunity "to put our best frock on", but also that " We are not going to circle the wagons".

Good on ya Nigel. Real rugby, real people!

#2 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

yup!!

#3 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

The journalist's name rings a bell. I might be wrong, but I think he has caused a commotion in the past with an article in the Independent mocking the game. It was established later - coincidentally - that he had some background in rugby union... let's hope the greatness of the game can, in turn, make a mockery of journalists who might be hell-bent on trashing it in this World Cup year.

#4 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Seemed like a fairly reasonable piece to me. It shows that Wood realises the current status of the game, and what he hopes the game will achieve with tentative expansion and full houses at the World Cup.

Fair play I say.
Posted Image

#5 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Just needs a can of Tetleys in his hand and the picture is complete ! Good man.

#6 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Seemed like a fairly reasonable piece to me. It shows that Wood realises the current status of the game, and what he hopes the game will achieve with tentative expansion and full houses at the World Cup.

Fair play I say.

i pray we will have full houses but i fear we will not, the opener for a start is a no brainer 40,000 if we get the weather.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#7 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

i pray we will have full houses but i fear we will not, the opener for a start is a no brainer 40,000 if we get the weather.

I imagine the roof will be closed that day. If we get 80% upwards attendance across the board as hoped for then I would consider that a success.
Posted Image

#8 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

I think a big factor in the first game and opening ceremony being in Cardiff is the roof. They can plan the big opening to the World Cup safe in the knowledge that the weather's not going to spoil it.

#9 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

The journalist's name rings a bell. I might be wrong, but I think he has caused a commotion in the past with an article in the Independent mocking the game. It was established later - coincidentally - that he had some background in rugby union... let's hope the greatness of the game can, in turn, make a mockery of journalists who might be hell-bent on trashing it in this World Cup year.

He is, one and the same. Guilty of recycling months old news on all that was rotten in the game.
Not too bad a piece today. Did any other paper bother to print the same press release?

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#10 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

I went to Cardiff Arms Park on Saturday to see the Blues v Sale and there were a few adverts for England v Australia One Day International Cricket around the city but I didn't see any ads for the Cardiff World Cup Opener.

Why?

#11 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

He is, one and the same. Guilty of recycling months old news on all that was rotten in the game.
Not too bad a piece today. Did any other paper bother to print the same press release?

I thought so. A former publicity/public relations man in rugby union who gathered together all his years of learning and expertise... to trash rugby league. Money for old rope.

It's a shame that the Independent now has not one dedicated rugby league correspondent - for all the criticism that some have heaped on Dave Hadfield's perceived negativity, I'd rather the article carried his by-line. He loves the game. This chap, on the other hand, would love to see it flounder.

#12 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Just needs a can of Tetleys in his hand and the picture is complete ! Good man.

....darts in the other, racing post under his arm and a GB shirt from 1992 on covered in banjo sandwich.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users