Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Young ladies barred from the workplace because of...!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,079 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

One job I had, we got a £20 book of luncheon vouchers every month, and one bloke used to head off down the road to a shop that would exchange them for a bottle of vodka. He was not a lot of use for the rest of the afternoon.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#22 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,716 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

I used to work on the demolition in the mid 80's and the things that went on would see them shut down asap. I worked on a concrete crusher (ie huge lumps of concrete floor smashed up for hardcore) and when I say there was no H&S, that's being kind. Scary to think about it now!!

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#23 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

I used to work on the demolition in the mid 80's and the things that went on would see them shut down asap. I worked on a concrete crusher (ie huge lumps of concrete floor smashed up for hardcore) and when I say there was no H&S, that's being kind. Scary to think about it now!!

It appears H&S is being ignored in today's financial climate!

#24 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,716 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

It appears H&S is being ignored in today's financial climate!

In certain places it is ignored and even when its applied, its when it suits. I'm H&S fan but when you get idiots walking round with a clipboard citing 'hazards' like a piece of paper not in the bin then it gets on my t its. Because all they are doing is justifying a unnecessary (well paid) job.

Edited by Johnoco, 24 January 2013 - 04:46 PM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#25 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Looking at the entertainment industry, St Helens folk once had a choice of at least twelve cinemas in the town. Today, there is just one multi-screen. Likewise, I just wonder how many more pubs will disappear in the future? Many of my old haunts are now either boarded up, turned into apartments or demolished.

I heard someone recently moan about too many charity shops in town centres. Even they are now feeling the pinch from a decline in customers.

#26 BD92

BD92
  • Coach
  • 7,938 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

I served my time at a bottle factory, the batch plant was the height of 2 or 3 houses one on top of the other. We used to stand at the edge of the roof with our heels on the edge, step into the roof a certain number of paces. Then we would turn round and walk the same number of paces back to the edge blindfolded of course.

Another good bit was in the cullet cellar, just to keep us on our toes we'd done safety glasses and throw bottles from 50/60 feet away at each other.
And so the future begins.....

#27 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

I served my time at a bottle factory, the batch plant was the height of 2 or 3 houses one on top of the other. We used to stand at the edge of the roof with our heels on the edge, step into the roof a certain number of paces. Then we would turn round and walk the same number of paces back to the edge blindfolded of course.

Another good bit was in the cullet cellar, just to keep us on our toes we'd done safety glasses and throw bottles from 50/60 feet away at each other.

Was it Foster's? I worked both at Revenhead Glass and UGB. Many people lost their pension rights when the company went bust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users