Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Comparing WC attendances

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Whilst browsing Wiki i came across the 1970 WC info. What surprised me most (apart from we were favourites!) was the attendances for the matches. I had always thought that the 1970s was one of RLs most popular periods. Considering the matches were played in the "heartlands" at a time when we could realistically beat the Aussies the crowds were pretty poor. Average attendance 9816 and the final watched by a meagre 18776. We would be in serious trouble if we had the same crowds this year. Perhaps the past wasn`t always as rosy as we remember.

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

we won't have the same crowds at way back when.....

im very confident we'll comfortably beat the numbers from the 2008 world cup in australia

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 633 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

im very confident we'll comfortably beat the numbers from the 2008 world cup in australia

To beat the average we need to sell 460k tickets (that includes counting the double headers as separate tickets). Selling out the two double headers would ensure we were 2/3rds of the way there!

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,128 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

We'll comfortably beat the aggregate number by the fact there are more games, but to beat the average of 16k(ish) will be a challenge. Doable, but definitely a challenge, and it will be very difficult to 'comfortably' beat the number.

#5 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

we'll do it.....:lol:

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#6 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

The target is to sell 500k tickets for the World Cup to get 80% occupancy. It is ambitious, which it should be, but it's also achievable.

#7 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 435 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

I've got my final tickets and am taking a friend, new to the game to a pool game

#8 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

The seventies were probably the worst time for attendances, the lowest point after the great crowds of the fifties fell away.

#9 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,344 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

I had always thought that the 1970s was one of RLs most popular periods.

Exactly the opposite. In terms of crowds, the game was at its lowest ebb that decade.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users