Top eight

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Rammo23

Rammo23
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Personally i think that these playoffs are a farce, it's just something else that we have coppied off the Aussies. A team that wins the league gets hardly any recognition for thier achievement, but win the Grand Final and you may as well of won the World Cup. Lets face it, it seems to me that winning the Grand Final is better than winning the Challenge Cup Final these days. The league is won over a season not a few games, for example the GF, come the end of the season who's to say the top sides have players out with injuries and one of the lower sides has a good run and wins the GF, competitions are there to be won by who ever are in them not just your so called "top 5" that's the beauty of it.

#22 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

Personally i think that these playoffs are a farce, it's just something else that we have coppied off the Aussies. A team that wins the league gets hardly any recognition for thier achievement, but win the Grand Final and you may as well of won the World Cup. Lets face it, it seems to me that winning the Grand Final is better than winning the Challenge Cup Final these days. The league is won over a season not a few games, for example the GF, come the end of the season who's to say the top sides have players out with injuries and one of the lower sides has a good run and wins the GF, competitions are there to be won by who ever are in them not just your so called "top 5" that's the beauty of it.

+1
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#23 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

On a serious note, completely agree with you but do we know it's the clubs' idea?

Can't say that they came up with the idea but they have the vote. The RFL might recommend but, at the end of the day, only the clubs have the power to make the decision.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#24 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Why all the fuss? Last year it was 6 from 10 = 60% and this year it is 8 from 14 = 57.143% - same sort or ratio - just about.

I thought that was #### as well. We should be aiming at around 33% - tops. Four would be great. 1v4, 2v3, Final. No drawn out process which - by and large at our level - doesn't bring in the crowds.

#25 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

The perfect league to me is the championship 1 & that's how the leagues should be.

Surely the league contradicts itself. They say the team that wins the end of season cup is the best team, but the team that finishes bottom of the league is the worst team. Maybe they should bring in the bottom 8 relegation play offs, if you win a game you stay up, and the losers go to the next round until you have 2 teams left.

Then you could have the eighth placed team classed as the champions but also relegated as the worst team aswell.

#26 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

so i guess its ok when you finish 6th in the championship you can jump straight into superleague .,surley this never happens does it? ask a widnes fan for the answer.lol

#27 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 635 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

Think you'll find that the the Aussies ain't the only ones using play-off systems. They are about generating money, nothing more.

I thought that was #### as well. We should be aiming at around 33% - tops. Four would be great. 1v4, 2v3, Final. No drawn out process which - by and large at our level - doesn't bring in the crowds.

Personally I'd go further - league placings to decide the champions, and if you want a play-off series, what was wrong with the old Premiership system (top 8 by the way), the crows for those including Old Trafford weren't so bad.
I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#28 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Think you'll find that the the Aussies ain't the only ones using play-off systems. They are about generating money, nothing more.

Of course they are. Even Ken Davy's pocket is not bottomless.

And we had play-offs before the Aussies even had Rugby League.

#29 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Personally I'd go further - league placings to decide the champions, and if you want a play-off series, what was wrong with the old Premiership system (top 8 by the way), the crows for those including Old Trafford weren't so bad.

Clubs want to keep the season open. They want play-offs but it's about getting the balance right too.

The Grand Final has more than double the crowds the Premiership Final used to get - bolstered as it was by being a triple header. You can't argue with facts like those.

I'm not one for picking up on typos but "crows" is funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Griff, 26 January 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#30 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Of course they are. Even Ken Davy's pocket is not bottomless.

And we had play-offs before the Aussies even had Rugby League.

Play-offs to determine the Champions were a neccessity in those days because we didn't have a balanced fixture list. In Super League the Magic Weekend makes it so that clubs play one other 3 times, so they have a valid case. The Championship doesn't!

#31 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 593 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Absolutely right, play offs - historically the top four playoff - came about because in the days of one division of 30 clubs, fixtures were regionalised into Lancashire and Yorkshire leagues.
i.e. Yorkshire clubs would play all the other Yorkshire teams plus three Lancashire clubs.
Lancashire clubs would play all other Lancashire teams plus three Yorkshire clubs.
To balance the numbers one Yorkshire club ,say Huddersfield or Haliax would play in the Lancashire league.

So the top clubs from Yorkshire might not meet the top clubs from Lancashire in the regular season.
A top four playoff was a logical and legitimate way to determine who would ultimately be Champions.
This system was totally acceptable and lasted for many many seasons, finally being abandoned in 1962/63 when two divisions were brought in.

With Championship clubs to-day playing every other club home and away, a play-off to determine who is the Champion Club is unnecessary - the club at the top of the pile at the end of the regular season are the Champions. - Simple.
Our present day play-off is merely a money maker or season extender call it what you want. I have no objection whatsoever to a top eight play off, but for heavens sake call it something other than a championship play off.

Edited by Jimmy B, 26 January 2013 - 08:49 PM.

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

#32 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

If im honest, Id much rather get rid of the play offs and go towards a football system.

But if were gonna have a play off system it may as well be one that gives a game each week instead of 2 matches in.a month.

Cummins Out.

#33 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

If im honest, Id much rather get rid of the play offs and go towards a football system.

But if were gonna have a play off system it may as well be one that gives a game each week instead of 2 matches in.a month.

Soccer has play-offs.

#34 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 593 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

When did they last determine who were going to be called the Champions by play-off ?
But they do have promotion play-offs.

Edited by Jimmy B, 29 January 2013 - 05:50 PM.

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

#35 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Soccer has play-offs.

I know it does, but not to determine the champions... and I'm not getting into the validity of champions from play offs scenarios, because they're both credible ways... I prefer the football system.

Cummins Out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users