Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Runners and Riders!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

In this weeks League Weekly there is a short piece about each of the clubs in the Championship and the un-named uthors "prospects" for each club.

Towns piece reads, "Promoted comfortably in 2012, Town will hope to again finish above their deadly rivals Whitehaven but might find that difficult.

The pack appears to be a strength for coaches gary Charlton and Martin Oglanby, particularly with 2005 Challenge Cup winner Ewan Dowes, re-uniting with his former Hull prop partner, Jamie Thackray.

Haven's advantage, however, appears to be their new partnership with SL giants, St Helens. Town too have entered in to a similar link up but are unlikely to be able to call upon the same calibre of talent from Widnes Vikings.

Not having been in the Championship for a few years,much of Town's squad may need some time to adapt to the higher division but, with competition so fierce, they may not get too much of it.

Experienced figures like Dowes, Thackray, Peter Lupton, Graeme Mattinson and mark Calderwood may well be key in dragging them through.

With a bit of the bounce of the ball and some luck with injuries, Town do potentially have the tools to survive but it is likely to go down to the wire.

Prospects - Will face a struggle to keep their heads above water but just might manage it."

Haven's prospects are - "Might just have enough to survive"

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Which clown writes for them? Might struggle to finish above haven??!!!

#3 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Seems a pretty fair outlook for both clubs. Keeping your best on the pitch is key for us. Given that we have the ammo to compete well. Idargue with the prominence of finishing above haven , survival is all that matters.

#4 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

Well this Clown does not realise how talented Tom Gilmore and Alex Gerrard are to be honest.Jack Owens and Gilmore have a big future.

#5 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

Yeah I suppose it's fair enough, given the author may not have watched us last year every game but did see us struggle at the end with injuries and suspensions. The same applies this year with injuries, we start the season with both and quite a difficult start, so could possibly be footing the table early doors.
Then again as the article alludes to it will all depend on the quality of players available from the SL link up.
I personally think we will do ok if we can field a strong team and compliment them with Widnes players.
This year I don't care where haven finish, good luck to them. We just need to finish one place clear of relegation and it will have been a successful season for me!
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#6 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

When did Choccy start writing for 'League weekly' ?

#7 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

We just need to finish one place clear of relegation and it will have been a successful season for me!

Same sentiment for us guys down the coast at the Raiders.. just need to stay up nothing more. We may struggle going it alone and having no tie up with a SL club but im sure Holty will have the guys pumped up to compete right up to the final whistle of every game.Lee

Edited by morty, 24 January 2013 - 09:57 AM.

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#8 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

Of course staying up is the priority but its good to have ambitious goals and with the RFL confirming that the play offs will be Top 8 this season then it's not a forlorn hope of making a play off spot given an injury free run.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#9 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Of course staying up is the priority but its good to have ambitious goals and with the RFL confirming that the play offs will be Top 8 this season then it's not a forlorn hope of making a play off spot given an injury free run.

Speaking from a Raiders point of view...and I hope im wrong....but I dont think we are strong enough this year for top 8 !

Another goal as far as I am concerned is for all 3 Cumbrian teams to stay up !

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#10 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Speaking from a Raiders point of view...and I hope im wrong....but I dont think we are strong enough this year for top 8 !

Another goal as far as I am concerned is for all 3 Cumbrian teams to stay up !

The same author gives Barrow's prospects as :- "2009 champions may find it hard to recapture their former glories but 2013 should at least be a year of consolidation".

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#11 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Does he put his neck on the block and say who's gonna go down?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users