Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Games against our cumbrian neighbours

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

I think it would have been a good idea to change these games to a saturday night to try and increase the revenue streams, there is trains on a saturday up and down the coast whereas on a sunday there is not. imo this would have brought more support from all sides and also an increase in beer/food sales...i for one wont be going away to the Haven/Town games on a sunday but if it was a saturday i would, and i'm sure a lot of their fans would feel the same...what does everyone else think??

#2 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 373 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

I think it would have been a good idea to change these games to a saturday night to try and increase the revenue streams, there is trains on a saturday up and down the coast whereas on a sunday there is not. imo this would have brought more support from all sides and also an increase in beer/food sales...i for one wont be going away to the Haven/Town games on a sunday but if it was a saturday i would, and i'm sure a lot of their fans would feel the same...what does everyone else think??

Excellent idea. I love Saturday night footie anyway even if the sun is blazing into me eyes as it sets over The Wheatsheaf. I'll by a baseball cap if I have to.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#3 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Really, how would they get back? Seen as the last train is 17.25?

#4 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Whatever day you have it on it will suit some and not others..they should order more buses like we do...

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#5 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Stats from all the years since 2005 show more in attendance on Sundays than any other day ? FACT

Edited by D11, 24 January 2013 - 04:29 PM.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#6 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Speedway every Saturday evening at Workington, sorry.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#7 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Why don't the clubs get in touch with the railway companies too arrange decent trains down on the sundays. Have a train which leaves at 12 for a 3 o clock kick off and one which leaves at 5.25? Surely can't be hard to arrange months in advance as there is barely any trains on sundays anyways.

#8 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

I think that has been looked at before and they don't have people working the crossings which in turn means they can't operate the train on that line.

#9 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Im sure our biggest gate last season was a friendly against workington and what day was that on?

#10 UnionMan

UnionMan
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Whitehaven would be doable, last train back to Barrow on a Saturday is 18.50. assume it's about 15 mins earlier from Worky.
You can then get off at foxfield (or millom if your desperate) and have a few Jars in the prince of wales before the last train home.
Bit of a cattle truck usually though so comfort at a minimum

#11 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Would love a the derby games to be on a late Saturday afternoon
Rip the bludgers heads off!

#12 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Why don't the clubs get in touch with the railway companies too arrange decent trains down on the sundays. Have a train which leaves at 12 for a 3 o clock kick off and one which leaves at 5.25? Surely can't be hard to arrange months in advance as there is barely any trains on sundays anyways.

There is a Sunday service between Carlisle and Whitehaven which is subsidised by the County Council which has decent usage but there isn't the demand for a service south from Whitehaven on a Sunday...
"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#13 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Simple solution, play saturday at 2.00 pm.

#14 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 373 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Simple solution, play saturday at 2.00 pm.

That would do for me if it enables the the speccies from up the coast to have a good day out in the Raiders Bar.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#15 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 531 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

would do for me aswell get down early and have a good sesh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users