Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

rugby league heritage project

old players

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

http://www.rugbyleag...ns/players.html By no means a comprehensive list but some of the names brought happy memories back.

#2 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 412 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

The oldest was born in 1959.
That's not old!
Posted Image

#3 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Looking at this, I'm really annoyed by the apparent sole usage of Australasian terms when naming the positions in RL.

Five-Eighth (Stand-off), Half Back (Scrum-half), Lock (Loose forward).
And to make things worse when you go through anything British thesed days such as players' heights and weights are overwhelmingly given in metric (centimetres/kilograms) instead of the traditional British Imperial (stones & pounds/feet & inches).
Why oh why is this the case? Haven't the people involved got the guts to stand up to this Southern Hemisphere juggernaut?

#4 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 412 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Looking at this, I'm really annoyed by the apparent sole usage of Australasian terms when naming the positions in RL.

And to make things worse when you go through anything British thesed days such as players' heights and weights are overwhelmingly given in metric (centimetres/kilograms) instead of the traditional British Imperial (stones & pounds/feet & inches).
Why oh why is this the case? Haven't the people involved got the guts to stand up to this Southern Hemisphere juggernaut?

If you go to the home page I think you will see the website originates in Sydney. Most of the collaborators appear to be Aussies.
Posted Image

#5 PaulT

PaulT
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Keith, the website is Australian!

Posted Image

#6 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Keith, the website is Australian!

OK, fair enough, but I'm still right about the rest aren't I?
And for Geoff's benefit, whatever you say about the Yanks, they still use 'old money' terms like us, miles, Fahrenheit, gallons (US), pounds (not stones) and inches, feet and yards etc.

#7 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 412 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

OK, fair enough, but I'm still right about the rest aren't I?
And for Geoff's benefit, whatever you say about the Yanks, they still use 'old money' terms like us, miles, Fahrenheit, gallons (US), pounds (not stones) and inches, feet and yards etc.

We do! Now I'm going to drive the 2 miles to my office because the temperature is -8F and I'd get frost bite if I walked!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users