Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New-look Championships ready for an Extraordinary 2013

RFL media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
105 replies to this topic

#41 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

The spectacle that the championship delivers is great, but its played in a cul-de-sac. Its watched by an ageing hardcore. Sheffield won it with a fan base of 3 men and a dog, if that's considered a success in your world then somebody needs to shake your head, if you are just regurgitating the bull from RH then fair enough, they hadn't a clue when they used that phrase as well.

Your spot on Craig with that post. Our crowds have only grown because people have a dream again by our BOD trying to get us back in the top division. Without the dream of P&R I fear the championship will die a slow and painful death.

#42 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Are you trying to be funny with your first comment? Do you take folk to be thick or is it pure arrogance?

The spectacle that the championship delivers is great, but its played in a cul-de-sac. Its watched by an ageing hardcore. Sheffield won it with a fan base of 3 men and a dog, if that's considered a success in your world then somebody needs to shake your head, if you are just regurgitating the bull from RH then fair enough, they hadn't a clue when they used that phrase as well.

You seem to be confusing crowd size with my reply to detractors of the Championship. I am aware that there major issues with attendances. I don't see what that has to do with the attractiveness of the on-field product.

#43 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

That's what I was thinking. More likely to be Leeds-St Helens

More likely on recent history but not on current squad strength. SH haven't been the same since they got rid of Long, it would be a minor shock if they made it to the grand final.

#44 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

You seem to be confusing crowd size with my reply to detractors of the Championship. I am aware that there major issues with attendances. I don't see what that has to do with the attractiveness of the on-field product.

You seem unable to grasp the difference between detractors of the Championship as a spectacle from Championship fans who are aware of the challenges they face due to the cul-de-sac its played in.

You watch a film because the reviews are good, you leave the cinema and say 'that was a great film' - you dont go back every week to watch it again for 50 years, because thats what sports fans do when they have allegiance to a club. When it becomes no point fans drop off as the passion drops with it. The nervous intensity at GF's that lead to promotion was fantastic, if you ask the few Fartown fans it was the most nervous night of their lives, ask Salford fans about the difference in 2003 and 2008? ask Cas about Headingley etc I have been to many SL GF's - nothing on the old NL GF's. - that passion has gone.

#45 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

In my view, you play much the same teams one season to the next whether you are in SL or the Championship. Most SL clubs have nothing to play for other than the hope that they might get to the play-offs - only to be knocked out in the first round. The teams at the top are much the same as they have always been.

Is that so much better than a Championship grand final with a trophy at stake? Especially since almost any team in the Championship could conceivably win it if not this season then within the next five.

#46 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,037 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

We aren't the problem though are we, we will support our clubs come what may. We will go the extra mile, sponsorships, season tickets, lottery, ISA etc

We know we watch a great comp, we know Thursdays/Premier contract are a joke, but how do we attract new/lapsed fans who say 'whats the point when you win it and go nowhere?'

New\lapsed fsns who say "whats the point...etc.
How many of these are there and what is the basis of this reserch. As you well know there is a properly structured pathway from Champ.to SL. I thunk this is going to be the best ever champ. season.

#47 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

In your view.

In my view, you play much the same teams one season to the next whether you are in SL or the Championship. Most SL clubs have nothing to play for other than the hope that they might get to the play-offs - only to be knocked out in the first round. The teams at the top are much the same as they have always been.

Is that so much better than a Championship grand final with a trophy at stake? Especially since almost any team in the Championship could conceivably win it if not this season then within the next five.

How old are you?

#48 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

How old are you?

He's clearly old enough to make a valid point.
Posted Image

#49 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,724 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

yet he appears confused by thinking Leeds and Wigan will meet at OT again, they have met only once in the gf. He also thinks the teams at the top are the same, ignoring Wire and Catalan.

#50 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

New\lapsed fsns who say "whats the point...etc.
How many of these are there and what is the basis of this reserch. As you well know there is a properly structured pathway from Champ.to SL. I thunk this is going to be the best ever champ. season.

I am suprised you are not familiar with the joint study undertaken by Clayton Christensen of Harvard in conjunction with Jeffrey Pfeffer of Stanford, arguably the worlds two greatest professors of Business. A detailed insight was obtained regarding the motivation of Global sports fans and the direct link with benefit selling in maximising attendence at sports stadia.

#51 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

He's clearly old enough to access a computer, his worldly experiences seem limited but if he is a youngster with an interest in the game then he will have plenty time to feast at lifes tables and learn from his time there - and should be encouraged to do so.

#52 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,440 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

I am suprised you are not familiar with the joint study undertaken by Clayton Christensen of Harvard in conjunction with Jeffrey Pfeffer of Stanford, arguably the worlds two greatest professors of Business. A detailed insight was obtained regarding the motivation of Global sports fans and the direct link with benefit selling in maximising attendence at sports stadia.

And yet sport in the USA seems to get along just fine without P&R.

Maybe their backwoodsmen don't have internet access yet?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#53 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

yet he appears confused by thinking Leeds and Wigan will meet at OT again, they have met only once in the gf. He also thinks the teams at the top are the same, ignoring Wire and Catalan.

Do me a favour and tell me how many times Wire and Catalans have won SL.

Or appeared in the grand final.

I don't think the fact that Pies and Rhinos have only met once in the GF changes the probability that they will this year. You'd have to be mad to bet against Leeds being there and who has a better chance than Wigan for being their opponents?

Edited by Northern Sol, 25 January 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#54 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

And yet sport in the USA seems to get along just fine without P&R.

Maybe their backwoodsmen don't have internet access yet?

You are excused due to your location - may your God bless you.

#55 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

You seem unable to grasp the difference between detractors of the Championship as a spectacle from Championship fans who are aware of the challenges they face due to the cul-de-sac its played in.

You watch a film because the reviews are good, you leave the cinema and say 'that was a great film' - you dont go back every week to watch it again for 50 years, because thats what sports fans do when they have allegiance to a club. When it becomes no point fans drop off as the passion drops with it. The nervous intensity at GF's that lead to promotion was fantastic, if you ask the few Fartown fans it was the most nervous night of their lives, ask Salford fans about the difference in 2003 and 2008? ask Cas about Headingley etc I have been to many SL GF's - nothing on the old NL GF's. - that passion has gone.

You may not be aware that a film at a cinema doesn't change if you view it a second time or a third. It stays exactly the same and that's why most of us watch it only once.

Each rugby league game and every season is a unique experience.

#56 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,440 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

You are excused due to your location - may your God bless you.

You can't cope with logical arguments can you?

(FYI I have been a supporter of a current CC team for nearly 40 years.)
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#57 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

How old are you?

Given that I've stood on the terraces at non-SL grounds, I must be part of the ageing hardcore. Or at least I might be if I didn't live in Turin.

#58 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,724 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Do me a favour and tell me how many times Wire and Catalans have won SL.

Or appeared in the grand final.

I don't think the fact that Pies and Rhinos have only met once in the GF changes the probability that they will this year. You'd have to be mad to bet against Leeds being there and who has a better chance than Wigan for being their opponents?

well Wire are bookies favourite and appeared in the last GF.
You suggested monotony by saying Wigan would probably meet Leeds 'again' at OT. Set up a prediction thread, I suspect you'd get a minority predicting Leeds v Wigan - yet you suggest this is likely 'again' - 14ish years after their only ever meeting in the final.

#59 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

I love sweaty craiq

Anyone who doesn't at least go half way to agreeing that the removal of P&R has had a detrimental affect on Championship clubs is just plain argumentative for arguments sake.

I can't see it coming back, even though I wish it would.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#60 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,796 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

I love sweaty craiq

Anyone who doesn't at least go half way to agreeing that the removal of P&R has had a detrimental affect on Championship clubs is just plain argumentative for arguments sake.

I can't see it coming back, even though I wish it would.

Well I wont be taking sky sports and premier sports up again until it comes back. I wonder how many other disillusioned people there are?

A second tier with no promotion for the best team is a joke and a turn off. Its a shame because the actual second and third tier this year would be fantastic with that ultimate carrot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users