RFL media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
105 replies to this topic

#101 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,440 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

In addition Oldham, Barrow , Whitehaven, Leigh and Crusaders have been in the final.

Now p and r has been removed, however, dominant teams will not be removed so we will see if that theory holds water going forward.

Yep - I almost added that last line to my post, it now becomes a better comparison to SL on this front.

#102 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

It was sh***! 4 up and 4 down (a quarter of div one teams were relegated!) was a disaster for the game. I watched Hornets during that yo-yo period and I think it knocked the stuffing out of the club (and I don't think it really ever recovered). It was a constant chasing promotion, battling relegation, chasing promotion - no development as a club, dispiriting for the fans, and, financially, very costly.

Rochdale only went up once as I recall since the 70s so they were hardly a yo-yo team. Who exactly outside SL is doing better without P&R? I would argue no-one

#103 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,949 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

I am suprised you are not familiar with the joint study undertaken by Clayton Christensen of Harvard in conjunction with Jeffrey Pfeffer of Stanford, arguably the worlds two greatest professors of Business. A detailed insight was obtained regarding the motivation of Global sports fans and the direct link with benefit selling in maximising attendence at sports stadia.

Arguably.... well, yes. I will argue with them as they never paid me for my contribution. Doncha just HATE plagiarists?

#104 brooza

brooza
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

You watch a film because the reviews are good, you leave the cinema and say 'that was a great film' - you dont go back every week to watch it again for 50 years, because thats what sports fans do when they have allegiance to a club.

You may not be aware that a film at a cinema doesn't change if you view it a second time or a third. It stays exactly the same and that's why most of us watch it only once.

Each rugby league game and every season is a unique experience.

Very good point.

I go to the cinema every week. I see a different film each time but I always go to the same cinema. If I particularly enjoy a film, I'll get it on DVD and watch it again.

I go to the rugby every week. I see a different match each time but I always go to the same ground*. If I particularly enjoy a match, I'll get it on DVD and watch it again.

*Disclaimer: I actually go to several grounds at all different levels of the pyramid, but the point remains
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#105 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Very good point.

I go to the cinema every week. I see a different film each time but I always go to the same cinema. If I particularly enjoy a film, I'll get it on DVD and watch it again.

I go to the rugby every week. I see a different match each time but I always go to the same ground*. If I particularly enjoy a match, I'll get it on DVD and watch it again.

*Disclaimer: I actually go to several grounds at all different levels of the pyramid, but the point remains

I am impressed by your fanatical support of your chosen cinema. Do you also own the replica shirt, polo, scarf and hat of said cinema. You may also sponsor a few films, pay into its lottery and attend fund raisers. Go home to kick the cat after a bad film or have a smile like a Cheshire cat after a great one.

Edited by sweaty craiq, 28 January 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#106 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,548 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

As this thread has ended up as yet another argument about P & R, I'm locking it and pointing the protagonists who are still interested in arguing about that subject to the existingt P & R argument thread here:

http://www.totalrl.c...-debate-thread/

Also, I'm adding a general request for people to avoid allowing their comments becoming personal on this issue. Just because someone has a different opinion does not make them stupid, and idiot, or warrant any other term of personal abuse. If it continues, warnings and suspensions, even bans will start getting dished out because there is absolutely no need for it.

Thank you.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users