Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

midlands premier lineup

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,711 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Just seen this on Facebook:

Birmingham Bulldogs
Coventry Bears A
Coventry Dragons
Telford Raiders
NEW Ravens
Nottingham Outlaws A
Northampton Demons A
Leicester Storm A
Sleaford Spartans
North Derbyshire Chargers

#2 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

We never signed up for Premier!!!!

I hope that this is split regionally otherwise we'll need to reconsider. To be honest, I'd rather this had been put out officially to clubs with an explanation rather than on facebook. I'm now expecting some calls asking why we're in a division with so much travel.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#3 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,711 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

My guess is that there will be a 13 game schedule where clubs play their half of the division twice and the other half once?

I'd have gone with signing Leamington and Derby up and just simple west midlands and east midlands to reduce the travel burden.

#4 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

We never signed up for Premier!!!!

I hope that this is split regionally otherwise we'll need to reconsider. To be honest, I'd rather this had been put out officially to clubs with an explanation rather than on facebook. I'm now expecting some calls asking why we're in a division with so much travel.

Its exactly what was proposed at the meeting, what was sent out by email and what you confirmed your club would be entering.

#5 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

My guess is that there will be a 13 game schedule where clubs play their half of the division twice and the other half once?

I'd have gone with signing Leamington and Derby up and just simple west midlands and east midlands to reduce the travel burden.

But its not fantasy league manager, its about getting games played and neither can commit to the format. Ideal isnt always Ideal.

#6 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

It's very large for the Premier. Is there going to be a Division One with so many clubs seemingly committed to Prem?

#7 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,711 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Surprised by Leamington.

I'm guessing the difference to the meeting is just one of branding as one premier division of 10 looks where not everyone plays home and away is more prestigious looking than division 1 west and east with cross division fixtures?

#8 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,711 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

It's very large for the Premier. Is there going to be a Division One with so many clubs seemingly committed to Prem?

Last I heard there was going to be a merit league with about eight clubs though I don't know if the final line up is confirmed. It was quite West Midlands centred

#9 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Yes the Merit League will underpin this. With the two teams moving to Conference South from last year's Premier line up, this means a very balanced league and plenty of evenly matched fixtures.

The plan was always for one division to be played for, with teams playing the majority of fixtures within their East / West split and a couple of cross-regional games. The highest division in the region is always the Premier league.

#10 LeamingtonRoyal

LeamingtonRoyal
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Before people start to comment on the demise of the Leamington Royals :rolleyes: we are stepping down a level to get our house in order ready for 2014. We have a new committee this season and are moving to a new ground (away from RU). We are not dropping off the map we will be back with a bang post world cup. Looking forward to a trip to Derby in 2013, we havent played up there since loosing to NDC in the 2009 playoff semi final.

Midlands Entry (merit) League is looking like - Leamington Royals, Derby City, Coventry Warriors, Coventry Dragons A, Wolverhampton...and hopefully a few others ala Telford A etc.

#11 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,711 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Yes the Merit League will underpin this. With the two teams moving to Conference South from last year's Premier line up, this means a very balanced league and plenty of evenly matched fixtures.

Yeah I'd expect Birmingham and Telford to be slightly stronger than the others but not by a lot so should be pretty close

#12 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

The plan was always for one division to be played for, with teams playing the majority of fixtures within their East / West split and a couple of cross-regional games. The highest division in the region is always the Premier league.

I'd always thought that there would be a merit league but the three division structure - Prem, Div one, Div two seems to have been abandoned.

#13 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

Yes, the two leading teams have moved to CL South and Glos Warriors have returned to West of England, so the 5 clubs that played Prem became 2.

9 clubs in Div 1 last year, Wolverhampton and Leamington will play in Merit League / Division 2 leaving 7.

The 9 clubs joined by Chargers brings it up to 10. All are much more evenly matched and its impossible to tier the comp to be a) meaningful or B) geographically possible.

#14 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

Glos in the West of England makes sense.

#15 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,711 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

Yeah the All Golds Premier is probably a similar strength to midlands premier so no point the Warriors travelling

#16 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,711 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

Yes, the two leading teams have moved to CL South and Glos Warriors have returned to West of England, so the 5 clubs that played Prem became 2.

9 clubs in Div 1 last year, Wolverhampton and Leamington will play in Merit League / Division 2 leaving 7.

The 9 clubs joined by Chargers brings it up to 10. All are much more evenly matched and its impossible to tier the comp to be a) meaningful or B) geographically possible.

I don't think there's a problem of the premier division being too big this year. I think it was instead too small last year (by necessity of the high standard of Leicester and Northampton) and even then Coventry Bears A should have been division 1 IMO and we needed a non midlands club to even make 5.

Edited by bowes, 25 January 2013 - 07:55 AM.

#17 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

What is the West of England set up looking like then?
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#18 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,711 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

What is the West of England set up looking like then?

On the Bristol website says it will be: Bristol Sonics A, Gloucestershire Warriors, Cheltenham Old Patesians, Oxford Cavaliers, Somerset Vikings, Swindon St George

Apparently it's called the All Golds premier.

Only really London and the South East to be confirmed from England now.

#19 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

'All Golds Premier'?? I like it. Has a nice ring to it. Are we the 'Premier' in the West of England? :D

Going to be a bloody tough season as there will be six strong teams to battle it out. However having seen Swindon's fixtures I'm well up for it! I know its still a fair way away but: Bring it on! :cool:

Edited by HappyDave, 26 January 2013 - 12:27 AM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#20 Janner

Janner
  • Coach
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Any news of a South West League?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users