Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New Sky SL promo

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Well Westwood was included on the extraordinary campaign, so I'll disagree with you there.

My point on Tomkins was hardly a negative, I already commented that I like the ad - just an aside.

It's great but....

Isn't that negative. Why would ignore using Sam Tomkins whilst he is playing the sport. It's like saying I've got a lovely sports car that gets attention but I'm going to sell it maybe in a few months so I'll leave it in the garage and use my old car that no one gives a toss about.

Your average punter ,may just, have heard of Tomkins, they will not of heard of Ben Westwood.

Edited by scrape_goose, 25 January 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#42 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

It's great but....

Isn't that negative. Why would ignore using Sam Tomkins whilst he is playing the sport. It's like saying I've got a lovely sports car that gets attention but I'm going to sell it maybe in a few months so I'll leave it in the garage and use my old car that no one gives a toss about.

Your average punter ,may just, have heard of Tomkins, they will not of heard of Ben Westwood.

Nobody said ignore Sam Tomkins, so I can't comment on your point.

#43 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

It's great but....

They would probably think Ben Westwood was a golfer, or britains fastest getaway driver.

Edited by Manx RL, 25 January 2013 - 01:31 PM.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#44 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Nobody said ignore Sam Tomkins, so I can't comment on your point.

Ok maybe I read more into your comment than you intended

One point which does make me slightly nervous is putting all our eggs in one basket with Tomkins as the face of Rugby League. We are already hearing his coach saying he will probably leave SL, maybe as soon as next year.

But this is one advert, they haven't released several adverts with Tomkins in it, so it's one egg in the basket so far. Currently he's RL most recognisable face so why not capitalise on that?

#45 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

From the Mail, a bit about the promo and some glowing words from Bradley Wiggins.

I think the following will go down rather well on here: "Everyone knows it is a physical game but I had only seen union up to that point, but league... just how fast it was, how athletic the players were."

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#46 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

I like it. Saying that it doesn't start like a Rugby ad I think is misguided.

Wiggins is the man of the moment. People will know its an ad and will therefore watch to see what he gets up to (he's known for his sense of fun). Then the punch line that he's not talking about cycling grabs you.

Brilliant!

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#47 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

From the Mail, a bit about the promo and some glowing words from Bradley Wiggins.

I think the following will go down rather well on here: "Everyone knows it is a physical game but I had only seen union up to that point, but league... just how fast it was, how athletic the players were."

There's a proper green-crayon-all-caps rant in the comments.

That's the world's most popular newspaper website giving us top coverage by the way.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#48 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

There's a proper green-crayon-all-caps rant in the comments.

Ain't there just! Quite alarming...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#49 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

But this is one advert, they haven't released several adverts with Tomkins in it, so it's one egg in the basket so far. Currently he's RL most recognisable face so why not capitalise on that?

Fair point - it was a casual comment reflecting my nervousness around Tomkins future in RL, fueled by his coach.

#50 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,694 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

I like it. Would've loved it to be about RU. This will make people sit up and take notice.
Fides invicta triumphat

#51 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Hopefully Wiggins at Salfords opening game? Plus a couple from Man U?

#52 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Now up on YouTube, should you want to post comments.

#53 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Fantastic advert for the game.

#54 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

I like it. I think people get used to the 'big tackle, tries' ads, lovely though they can be. This one will catch people's attention who may normally tune out. More to come I reckon
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#55 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Excellent advert, seeing as though the whole country is cycling mad at the moment it would have been stupid not to get wiggins involved in promoting rl, great stuff!

#56 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Next should be Dynamo up against some kind of show and go.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#57 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Souperb.

rldfsignature.jpg

#58 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Team SKY tweeted a link to the ad to their 150k followers yesterday.

#59 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

if theres one thing which is a 100% certainty in this world, its RL fans moaning about things such as this.. which is an excellent promo. Facebook, twitter, the various RL forums..

Naturally everyone has an opinion but it seems certain fans react like they've just been robbed at gun point, not having just watched a TV promo.. i'm sure some of these fans would find fault with winning the lottery.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#60 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

if theres one thing which is a 100% certainty in this world, its RL fans moaning about things such as this.. which is an excellent promo. Facebook, twitter, the various RL forums..

Naturally everyone has an opinion but it seems certain fans react like they've just been robbed at gun point, not having just watched a TV promo.. i'm sure some of these fans would find fault with winning the lottery.

TBF I haven't seen anybody say they don't like this ad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users