• 119 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

http://www.townrlfc....le.php?id=10313

#2 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Great news, this effectively means that after Widnes have named their 18 man squad each week then we can take our pick of the remainder. This will give us plenty of flexibility to choose players that will suit our game plan for that week depending on the opposition, instead of being told who we are getting and having to fit them in. A very good deal for both clubs IMO.

#3 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,269 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Good news were we saying ?... It's always worth waiting for !!! Role on and people of allerdale and beyond ROLE UP !!!

Edited by DavidM, 25 January 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#4 goingupthetown

goingupthetown
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

So technically Hock could be playing for Town next week, seeing as he's just coming back from injury ??????

"Having spoken to our players about their recovery from non-selection or injury,
playing for Workington is seen as a big step back into the Widnes first team.
The players believe that this is something they will want and need''

Edited by goingupthetown, 25 January 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#5 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Don't like the dual reg set up, but if everyone else is doing it then I suppose we have to as well. My only concern is the league position could be decided by who gets the best quality players loaned out to them. IMO it demeans the competition.
Still, on a bright note, it looks like Widnes are fully commited to it.

#6 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 696 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Cant see Hock playing but if he does .uffft! That would be class.

#7 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

I think it will be more likes of mellor Gilmore Lawton ect but if hock did come would be awesome

#8 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 879 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

It is great news and it doesn't mean that we will have 5 every week as when we have a fully fit squad we have a great 17 but like next week we are still light but can field a 17 I hope can bring us Back 3 points!! Do swinton play at leigh do we know?

#9 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Don't like the dual reg set up, but if everyone else is doing it then I suppose we have to as well. My only concern is the league position could be decided by who gets the best quality players loaned out to them. IMO it demeans the competition.
Still, on a bright note, it looks like Widnes are fully commited to it.

Sums up how I feel about it. Its not something I`m happy with but we have little choice other than to use it if we want to compete.

#10 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,269 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'd take 5 this first month with our personnel problems and the start so vital . Give us a power boost early doors . It's good news - it's on Sky Sports News ticker , and the publicity ahead of the season is great . Get the club in the spotlight , get people talking and interested . And if we see big names that's a talking point and will get fans in . Whatever the rights n wrongs we just couldn't afford to be left out of this whole link up system , and whoever comes will be a very good standard in our league . This is positive , very much so now when we're desperate , and later in the season to when we can steroid up our good squad with targeted injection of even more quality . This is a good news day . Well done to both clubs . Credit where it's due.

Edited by DavidM, 25 January 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#11 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,269 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Just out of interest this is their squad ...1) Shaun Briscoe 2) Willie Isa 3) Cameron Phelps 4) Stefan Marsh 5) Patrick Ah Van 6) Kevin Brown 7) Rhys Hanbury 8) Ben Cross 9) Jon Clarke 10) Steve Pickersgill 11) Frank Winterstein 12) Dave Allen 13) Hep Cahill 14) Joe Mellor 15) Chris Dean 16) Eamonn OCarroll 17) Ben Kavanagh 18) Lloyd White 19 ) Ben Davies 20) Paddy Flynn 21) Danny Craven 22) Gareth Hock 23) Phil Joseph 24) M Leuluai 25) Alex Gerrard 26) Jack Owens 27) Grant Gore 28) Tom Gilmore 29) Adam Lawton 30) Declan Hulme.

#12 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Excellent news that Widnes are fully commited to this partnership. Like others I'd rather not have it but if it means the difference between staying up or getting relegated then I'm all for it. I'm sure our BOD and coaches have weighed up all the pro's and cons. The Vikings BOD and coaching staff have to be applauded for treating us and the partnership with the respect it deserves.
I'm sure we will all be following the Vikings season very closely from now on, as any member of their first team squad may just appear in a Town shirt over the season!!
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#13 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Cant see Hock playing but if he does .uffft! That would be class.

Hock wont be playing for us. it says the entire widnes squad "Excluding" hock will be on dual reg to town.

#14 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

BBC twitter just said Gareth Hock and overseas players requiring Visa`s wont be involved. Makes a lot of sense, I would prefer it was young English players really.

#15 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Well Hock is only on a season long loan so isn't a Widnes player. He's not as good as Stacky and Brett anyway !!! (it's a joke my conserve muching friends!)
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#16 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

i honestly dont know if i could bring myself to cheer for hock anyhow.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#17 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,973 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Wow. I said I thought the announcement would be to name the players that we were likely to get on dual registration but to get the entire squad registered really is a good deal. As I have said in other posts I am not a lover of the link up system because there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules other than only 5 players at any time can be used, but we don't want to be left behind and end up back in Championship 1.

Hopefully, our own 17 lads will get plenty of game time but some weeks I can see that it will be down to our coaches to get the perfect balance between them and dual reg players. It all adds up to an interesting season.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#18 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

wether you are for or against these arrangements ,you cant escape the fact that the team is struggling with injuries and bans at present ,so for me its the shot in the arm we needed before the season finally gets under way.

Edited by bomber is god, 25 January 2013 - 04:22 PM.

COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#19 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

fair play to Widnes for getting right behind this venture.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#20 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

Mouth-watering when you split the squad into probable position possibilities:
Full back - (4) Briscoe, Phelps, Craven, Owens
Centres - (6) Isa, Phelps, Marsh, Ah Van, Dean, Hulme
Wings - (4) Isa, Phelps, Ah Van, Flynn
Stand offs - (4) Brown, Mellor, Craven, Gore
Scrum half - (4) Hanbury, Mellor, Gilmore, Gore
Second Rows - (5) Winterstein, Cahill, Allen, Joseph, Leuluai
Props - (8) Cross, Pickersgill, Gerrard, O'Carroll, Kavanagh, Lawton, Davies, Joseph
Loose Forwards - (2) Clarke, Joseph
Hookers - (3) Clarke, White, Joseph

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users