• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#41 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

Who says we can't see this?
I'd argue that right now we aren't feeding anyone as the only thing we are doing is giving fringe players game time. But who's to say they won't give Brett etc a once over and maybe fancy giving them a go, but the club would never stand in anyone's way if a SL club came knocking anyway so what's the difference?
My view for this season is that there are so many of the clubs in the championship doing it that we can't afford not to. Barrow may be doing it the purists way but what happens if they get relegated and are in Champ 1 next year. Who is right and wrong??
I know what you mean Holymoly but it isn't such a black and white issue.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#42 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

The RFL have set it up to become a feeder system regardless of what they may say. Their attitude is 'if it works in Oz it's bound to work here' and they aren't interested in anything outside super league

#43 casablanca

casablanca
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Just to clarify some of the concerns within this thread. What people may not be aware if is that the RFL have produced a whole list of governance procedures, restrictions and criteria regarding the dual reg arrangements - particularly around salary cap and numbers of games permitted.
Each player has been given a notional value by the RFL (Governed by their parent Club actual salary). So anytime a player (with the exception of U21s) plays on dual reg, the dual reg receiving club has to absorb the players notional value on to their salary cap returns. Thus intending to prevent a glut of top players playing week in week out.
Also, there is a restriction on players being involved in the latter stages of the competition. The player has to have played a defined number of games to be able to play in the last eight weeks of competition - up to the play offs.
These, along with other measures will go a long way to protecting the integrity of the competition.

#44 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Just to clarify some of the concerns within this thread. What people may not be aware if is that the RFL have produced a whole list of governance procedures, restrictions and criteria regarding the dual reg arrangements - particularly around salary cap and numbers of games permitted.
Each player has been given a notional value by the RFL (Governed by their parent Club actual salary). So anytime a player (with the exception of U21s) plays on dual reg, the dual reg receiving club has to absorb the players notional value on to their salary cap returns. Thus intending to prevent a glut of top players playing week in week out.
Also, there is a restriction on players being involved in the latter stages of the competition. The player has to have played a defined number of games to be able to play in the last eight weeks of competition - up to the play offs.
These, along with other measures will go a long way to protecting the integrity of the competition.

Aye and the RFL has such a great track record of governing the salary cap???

Several SL clubs are facing financial ruin and are sticking to the salary cap according to the RFL. I fail to see how that is possible, given that the salary cap limits the amount of money a club can spend, depending on there income/revenue. The RFL also awarded Bradford a Grade B SL license a year later.........
Barrow broke the cap for 2 seasons running before the RFL discovered that a team consisting of umpteen full time ex-SL pro's was costing more than £300k a season to run. Come on get real! The couldn't organise a "pea soup" in a brewery

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 26 January 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#45 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

i dont agree with this feeder idea but wont condemn clubs for doing it ... in the back of my mind I think Raiders not doing it could bite us in the ass?

But I still think you should have a known squad of around 25 players and only need dual reg if there is an injury crisis like we did mid season or Worky did later on last season.

Good luck to all the Cumbrian clubs for this coming season.

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#46 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Don't think anyone has mentioned top players playing onDR week in week out.The point i tried to raise was about registering top players on DR in the first place.I used brown as an example,why register him on DR he will be playing for Widnes week in week out so no chance of playing for town.Unless of course he spends time out injured then give him a 20/30 min blow out on his return that's the only reason I can see to DR him or the whole squad .Widnes see this as a way to keep fringe players fit but give others a run out if they have missed a few games.
This is not a dig at town more the system,if haven were to do the same I for one would not be happy

#47 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

As far as I'm aware Widnes dont pick who Town get they give a list of available players andRown pick who they need for that particular week, is that correct?

Im sure you'd be pleased if Haven did the same and are just worried Town may have an advantage over you.

#48 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

No I wouldn't be happy and if that is the case and Widnes have no input into who town get then why DR players the likes of brown who if fit you have no chance of getting.Think you are being very naive if you think Widnes don't see players getting a blow.out as an option
You also have to consider the impact that could have on your own players.This where the system is floored ,how can being able to DR a full squad be good for the game,but that's another debate

As for being worried with the 2 props we have just signed and the 2 names mentioned coming from saints one thing I'm not doing is worrying about town

Edited by haven4ever, 26 January 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#49 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

If you weren't worried you wouldn't feel the need to post and yes the system is FLAWED but you have to make the best of it. Wouldn't it be a crying shame if town had a top class super league player playing to get a bit of fitness. That's bound to drive the crowds away.....NOT

#50 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Cheers for the concern Haven , but concern yourself with your own team . Lets not get three steps ahead and see how things develop ,
but as of now we' re quite content . Top class player getting a blow here ... Fine by me . Imagine what our guys will learn by the rub off .
But as I say , let's wait n see . If we see it as supplementing when needed rather than full absorption then great , and our BOD and coaches know the score and will use this wisely . Our guys will get the gig I'm sure , we' re full of quality ,and when numbers are light then we'll use the link , as we'll see early season . Look at the positives involved not the potential negatives down the line.

Edited by DavidM, 26 January 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#51 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

There's a few on the main board who have a real hard on over this, the main 2 being a barra fan and a keighley fan. Fans of clubs who have made very good use of the dual reg system over the past few seasons, which I find to be very hypocritical of them. I suppose the fact neither of their clubs are making use of this system has nothing to do with there bitterness.

#52 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,799 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

No I wouldn't be happy and if that is the case and Widnes have no input into who town get then why DR players the likes of brown who if fit you have no chance of getting.Think you are being very naive if you think Widnes don't see players getting a blow.out as an option
You also have to consider the impact that could have on your own players.This where the system is floored ,how can being able to DR a full squad be good for the game,but that's another debate

As for being worried with the 2 props we have just signed and the 2 names mentioned coming from saints one thing I'm not doing is worrying about town

So if you are not having another dig at Town tell me how Wood's can state that he will have the pick of players at Saints who are not in the first team squad for that week? That could include Roby, say, returning from injury. Would Wood's have no option but to play him if Saints say so? There's no difference other than Town and Widnes have said that the whole Widnes squad (except Hock and overseas visa players) would be dual registered. How can Wood's have the pick at Saints if they aren't so registered? If, you are saying that is not the case then which players at Saints are dual registered as I haven't seen any names publicised.

Edited by Keith T, 26 January 2013 - 04:05 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#53 PLD

PLD
  • Coach
  • 512 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

But who's to say they won't give Brett etc a once over

They have tried, can't afford him.

Rugby League must be a great game to survive the fools at the RFL who run it.

#54 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

None are dual reg at the mo so how can you say its the same ,I think he will assess where we need improvment and then DR or season loan players to compliment that.quite a bit different to me

Edited by haven4ever, 26 January 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#55 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

You're in dreamworld son. Toddle off back to deluded fans and spout your rubbish on there. Jealousy is a funny thing.......

#56 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,799 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

None are dual reg at the mo so how can you say its the same ,I think he will assess where we need improvment and then DR or season loan players to compliment that.quite a bit different to me

Which is what Charlo and Oggy will be doing the only difference is that they don't have to wait until the week before to register the players, which, incidentally, I don't accept for one minute is what Dave Woods will be doing either. He and Saints will know now which players they are talking about and they will be registered now.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#57 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Realy jealous you can't even raise a team,we have a 4 day training camp and game in France you couldn't even have 7 a side match between yourselves
Back to your point Keith
I'm not saying he will wait until each week,I'm saying he will have assessed the squad so far and carrying on doing so then DR /loan players in positions he wants to strengthen ,not DR a full squad and pick at random

I'd expect Adam swift to be one as we have little cover for the wing,also I'd expect a prop/2nd row ,but I don't expect and I'd be very disappointed if we DR the full squad cause to me that is the start of a slippery slope .you may think not and that's fine time will tell how it operates

Edited by haven4ever, 26 January 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#58 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Ah there we go, I knew this cretin couldnt go more than 2 posts without acting the ######. Well done, now sod off will ya, adults are talking.

#59 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,799 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

So how many do you think are registered to play for Haven, 3, 5, 7 ..........? How do you know now what injuries you are going to have that require say a centre or a hooker and so on? You may know where you think your team is light at this moment but the season runs for 6 or 7 months. You still didn't answer my question about whether Woods would allow Saints to dictate to him if say Roby was needing a 20/30 minute cameo role as you expected Charlo and Oggy to bow to with Widnes?

#60 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Ah there we go, I knew this cretin couldnt go more than 2 posts without acting the ######. Well done, now sod off will ya, adults are talking.

think you will find geordie town started the slagging not me

Edited by haven4ever, 26 January 2013 - 05:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users