Widnes dual reg players agreement

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#61 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Yeh the cover slipped there for a tad and the bile came to the fore ... Who cares what happens in preaseason . We'll raise a competitive team when the music starts , no worries. Keith's right , don't get carried away with this ' full squad ' stuff . It's just words , in practice it'll work the same as other link ups . Supplementing when necessary . You have us down as Widnes A ! It's just a way of giving room for manoeuvre , not to be taken literally . Our guys have faith in our squad . It's more to do with numbers available being maintained and not getting in to the situation from the back end of last season . We're being prepared ... Haven will be on to Saints if they hit problems I bet , we're just being upfront .Talks cheap and easy before a balls been kicked .

Edited by DavidM, 26 January 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#62 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

I see the inbred obsessives down the road actually have more pages on their forum about this than we do, how pathetic is that :lol:

#63 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

H4E do you know for certain how the Haven/Saints link up will work or are you just going from what was reported in the Haven fanzine??
I don't think anyone on here is naive as nobody knows exactly how our two clubs will work it, but I'm certain our BOD and coaches won't sell themselves short. You are fishing again mate!!

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#64 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

There's a few on the main board who have a real hard on over this, the main 2 being a barra fan and a keighley fan. Fans of clubs who have made very good use of the dual reg system over the past few seasons, which I find to be very hypocritical of them. I suppose the fact neither of their clubs are making use of this system has nothing to do with there bitterness.

Being a Keighley supporter who is not bitter,I just don't want this to happen to our league.Surely you can see the many flaws in this agreement and I feel it is just a slippery road to disaster .If we (Keighley) did as you and many other clubs have done then I would walk away from the game I love.

#65 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

So how many do you think are registered to play for Haven, 3, 5, 7 ..........? How do you know now what injuries you are going to have that require say a centre or a hooker and so on? You may know where you think your team is light at this moment but the season runs for 6 or 7 months. You still didn't answer my question about whether Woods would allow Saints to dictate to him if say Roby was needing a 20/30 minute cameo role as you expected Charlo and Oggy to bow to with Widnes?

Keith for some one who is supposed to be opposed to these links ups your putting up a good defence for it ill give you that

Lets look at why DR was introduced
It was to give championship clubs access to young players who have the potential to play SL but are not ready for it week in week out
It was to give the player a chance to play at a higher level than academy and develop further as a player
it was to give the SL club a chance to look at how they perform and develop at a higher level

Did it work? well if you look at kyle amor or dave petersen,Zak hardacker i would say yes
clubs benefited from have a quality player to select
players certainly developed playing at a higher level
SL clubs got to see if they could make it or not

This is what DR was introduced for and it did work, players had to been under a certain age you could only have so many registered and it did not resemble in any way what is happening now

tell me if brown from widnes or robey from saints were on DR would any of the above apply

you may think they would,but the club would not benefit from a 20 min cameo to get some game time under the belt, in fact i would say that kind of disruption would do more harm than good.
Player is already playing at a higher level so no benefit there
SL club is fully aware of how they perfom at a higher level so no benfit there

As for coaches being dictated too ,unless you have another reason why the likes of brown etc are on DR other than to get game time if they get injured then i would say that's exactley how any SL club will see it working Widnes,saints,hull and that's why i don't like the link ups full stop , would rather have the old DR system

#66 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Being a Keighley supporter who is not bitter,I just don't want this to happen to our league.Surely you can see the many flaws in this agreement and I feel it is just a slippery road to disaster .If we (Keighley) did as you and many other clubs have done then I would walk away from the game I love.

Of course there are flaws, just like there were flaws In dual reg yet your club and I'm guessing the majority of your fans were happy to see It used. As for this agreement, I've said I'm not happy with us having to make use of it, but I do understand why we are. How will it go? I have no idea, and neither do you. Lets just see what happens shall we.

#67 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Haven4ever, do you think saints will be able to dictate to your mob who they have to play?

#68 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Haven4ever, do you think saints will be able to dictate to your mob who they have to play?

no cause as yet we have no DR's and if we get say 3 or 4 young players on DR i would say no they wouldn't as long as they are being used, but it we had robey or wellens on DR and they were coming back from injury i would expect that if saints wanted to give them game time before SL then we would haveto accomadate that wether we liked it or not
other wise what is the point of them being DR as they are not going to play for us on a regular basis are they
can anyone come up with any other reason why these top players would be registered on DR, if you can ill listen but i can think of any other

Edited by haven4ever, 26 January 2013 - 05:45 PM.

#69 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

How many players during the season can be dual regged by a club? Do you not think saints could send a recovering roby with explicit Instructions that you will need to obey? How Is It in any way different to towns set up with widnes.

#70 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,793 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

With due respect Holymoly, I think you are talking to the wrong people. You should be talking to the clubs that started all this as we joined at a very late stage because of what had gone before starting with the Leeds/Hunslet link up, then Saints/Rochdale/Haven link up and so on. After 10 years in Championship 1 for us it was damned if we do and damned if we dont join up. Many of us didn't want this system but we have had no say in it as it was all decided by the SL clubs at a meeting up here in Cumbria, followed by the Leeds/Hunslet announcement before the Championship clubs had had a meeting to discuss it. Us Town fans are happy enough with our squad of players when they are all fully fit and available but last season by the end of the season we had lads playing carrying knocks and we lost the title through that. This gives us a little bit more of an insurance that we will not be forced to put out weakened teams, which attracts no-one.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#71 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

DKW yes i do think they could that's why i preffer the old DR andwhy i hope we dont DR the saints squad, i would rather have 3 or 4 young players on DR that can be rotated and if you need say a hooker fine but you have to unregister one before you can get another , would also like the age limit to be applied again to stop clubs being used to give top players game time after injury.You seem to think this is all against town but its not , its this all link up as a whole, i except at the moment its a case of your in or you miss out, but the rules are such that i think clubs could end up losing there identity
there's no limit to how many you can DR but you can only use 5 at any one time (which again i think is too many) potential a third of a team could be made up of players from another club how is that a good thing

Edited by haven4ever, 26 January 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#72 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,793 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Haven4ever, I am opposed to the system and that has been my stance since it was first talked about. Like you, I thought that the Under 23 dual registration system was the way forward with a few minor adjustments but once the SL clubs decided that they didn't want the cost of running an Under 18's and an Under 20's team to save £100k, we all got lumbered with what we have.

They had their meeting, Leeds joined up with Hunslet and before the Championship clubs had even held their meeting the ball was rolling. I think I am right in saying that your club was next with Rochdale and Saints to link up and at one point I thought that Town were not going to go down that road.

However, seeing the quality of some of the players that other clubs were going to be getting to play against us it was a case of dow we want to be left behind here or jump on the wagon. I admire the lesser clubs like Keighley and Barrow who have decided not to link up even though they are not as strong as Fev, Fax, Sheffield and Leigh, but I also think that at some point during the season they will be approaching SL clubs for one or two or three dual registered players.

I think a lot as been made of the fact that Widnes have elected to make all their squad (with exceptions) dual registered but I think that is more to do with Betts showing all his players that coming to Town is a step to getting back in to the first team and that includes his star players. No-one at Town expects any of those players to ever pull on a Town shirt but it suits others, like you, to have a dig on that score.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#73 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

I sense bitterness and potential jealousy from blackcurrant preserve chowing part of the county. Must be demoralising to be more worried about what your near neighbours are doing rather than your own band of merry trophy dodgers lol.
Anyway after alot of years of lost interest i'm looking forward to getting down to the world cup stadium of cumbria to see whats what this season....cant wait in fact, i've even decided to register on here instead of just looking from the outside!
On another note its a shame Hock hasn't been DR'd. In june when widnes play wigan Town are at home, imagine what it would've been like if Hock played for Town that week as he's not allowed to play against wigan

#74 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

So the only difference between towns deal and the jameaters deal is we potentially have more flexibility and choice. Yet that apparently is wrong. How very odd.

#75 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

The difference is we have no DR's yet and read my posts again the issue is with the link ups in general not just how town have approached it

#76 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

did haven sign another prop today?? i believe they did ,yet some haven fans are more concerned about Workington Town.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#77 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Haven4ever, I am opposed to the system and that has been my stance since it was first talked about. Like you, I thought that the Under 23 dual registration system was the way forward with a few minor adjustments but once the SL clubs decided that they didn't want the cost of running an Under 18's and an Under 20's team to save £100k, we all got lumbered with what we have.

They had their meeting, Leeds joined up with Hunslet and before the Championship clubs had even held their meeting the ball was rolling. I think I am right in saying that your club was next with Rochdale and Saints to link up and at one point I thought that Town were not going to go down that road.

However, seeing the quality of some of the players that other clubs were going to be getting to play against us it was a case of dow we want to be left behind here or jump on the wagon. I admire the lesser clubs like Keighley and Barrow who have decided not to link up even though they are not as strong as Fev, Fax, Sheffield and Leigh, but I also think that at some point during the season they will be approaching SL clubs for one or two or three dual registered players.

I think a lot as been made of the fact that Widnes have elected to make all their squad (with exceptions) dual registered but I think that is more to do with Betts showing all his players that coming to Town is a step to getting back in to the first team and that includes his star players. No-one at Town expects any of those players to ever pull on a Town shirt but it suits others, like you, to have a dig on that score.

The teams mentioned Keith can not have any DR players. The teams that haven't linked up can only loan players no DRs allowed. We won't be loaning though as we have depth all over. We have cover for every position this season which we haven't had any other season. I know you don't agree with the link ups Keith and you know how I feel about them. But I also know it was a must for the so called lower teams in our league and I accept that. My beef isn't with the champ clubs Its more to do with where the system is heading.

#78 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

did haven sign another prop today?? i believe they did ,yet some haven fans are more concerned about Workington Town.

Mentioned it in an earlier post but thanks for keeping up with all things haven;-)

#79 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 853 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

I, there saying on their forum that they have signed up someone else, wonder if this one is Local!!!!
The fans are picking there 13 for next weeks game, and guess how many locals are in the 13? the grand total of wait for it -----3
I was talking to an ex coach of theres the other day and he was disgusted in how many travellers they now have compared to locals.
Well I suppose it will fillup a couple of houses on Mirehouse :lol:

#80 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

I, there saying on their forum that they have signed up someone else, wonder if this one is Local!!!!
The fans are picking there 13 for next weeks game, and guess how many locals are in the 13? the grand total of wait for it -----3

I was talking to an ex coach of theres the other day and he was disgusted in how many travellers they now have compared to locals.
Well I suppose it will fillup a couple of houses on Mirehouse :lol:

I really wouldnt go down the local route mate given your best chance of actually feilding a team next week depends on who Denis Betts lefts you have

As for 3 locals
Maca
Calvert
Newton
Palmer
Cullnean
Sice
There's 6 just for starters
So far out of a squad of 25 we have 7 who will not be or living local ,you will have more travellers in your team next week

never let the truth get in the way of a good #####

Edited by haven4ever, 26 January 2013 - 08:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users