RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

An Interesting Approach to Dual Reg.....

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#1 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,616 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Widnes and Workington have today announced that the full Widnes first team squad will be dual registered with Workington. Instead of having 5 allocated players, after Widnes have named their 18 man SL squad each week Town will be free to choose any 5 of the remainder of the Widnes squad (apart from injured players of course). It's a novel approach and one which will serve both partners well.
Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

#2 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

This is getting very much like feeder teams now.

#3 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,493 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Yep - don't like this approach at all. Guess that answers the question about how many players can be DR'd at any one time.

#4 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

This is getting very much like feeder teams now.

Agree.

Too far down the road......

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#5 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Didn't think we'd ever be playing a Widnes reserve side in a cumbrian derby, but life goes on I guess.

#6 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Surely this wasnt the intention? I can see this being either the creation of feeder teams, ot the end of dual regs as we know it, maybe with a more strict approach to how many can be registered.

#7 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,616 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

I'm not a fan of it myself but its a case of if you can't beat them join them. If we're going to partner with a SL club then we may as well exploit it to the full on terms that are advantageous to us. This means we can dictate who plays for Town rather than Widnes telling us. We can still only play a maximum of 5 at any one time but it gives us the flexibility to choose who those 5 are each week (if indeed we play 5 every week). Can't wait to see Hock playing for Town to get fit after his first suspension of the season :-)
Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

#8 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

People's reaction to this news is that Town are becoming a feeder team for Widnes?

Where was it mentioned that all of the Town team are dual registered with Widnes? It's the other way round according to the OP.

This gives Town dibs on the 5 players that aren't picked in Widnes' first team......the only problem I foresee with this is the Widnes fringe players may get a bit peeved not knowing whether they are coming or going up the M6 on a weekly basis

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,493 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

People's reaction to this news is that Town are becoming a feeder team for Widnes?

Where was it mentioned that all of the Town team are dual registered with Widnes? It's the other way round according to the OP.

This gives Town dibs on the 5 players that aren't picked in Widnes' first team......the only problem I foresee with this is the Widnes fringe players may get a bit peeved not knowing whether they are coming or going up the M6 on a weekly basis

Nobody on this thread has mentioned Town becoming a feeder team for Widnes.

#10 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

full on feeder team............told ya it would head that way.......wheres gav? lol

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#11 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Nobody on this thread has mentioned Town becoming a feeder team for Widnes.

Oops....sorry, forgot to switch on my sarcasm detection unit.....

Edited by chuffer, 25 January 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#12 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

full on feeder team............told ya it would head that way.......wheres gav? lol

I'm here. They can still only play up to 5 at a time. They still need their own squad of Workington players.

Posted Image

#13 Michael Bates

Michael Bates
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Absolutely ridiculous, this added to York registering the whole population of Hull for their squad too is just a step too far. All to save the Super League clubs money so they don't have to run under 23s?

#14 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Absolutely ridiculous, this added to York registering the whole population of Hull for their squad too is just a step too far. All to save the Super League clubs money so they don't have to run under 23s?

COuld not agree more! Bang on
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#15 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

They can only field five players at the moment but we all know that it's merely a starter for five. I dread to think what the situation will be in a few years time. The integrity of a fine competition has been destroyed. Very sad to see.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#16 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,686 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

SL clubs didn't run u23's anyway.Although I do agree it's ridiculous that Widnes have registered their whole squad.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.

#17 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,100 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

This is surely not the way the system is supposed to operate?

Having said that, the system was brought in with insufficent prior thought and analysis for largely economic reasons, so who knows how it's actually supposed to operate?

Buy the official Rovers 2013 Yearbook, out now!!!  ;)

http://feathers.rlstore.co.uk/product/2013YEARBOOK

#18 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

So is there anything to stop Widnes allowing Workington 5 of their top players if say Workington had a key game in the bid to avoid relegation and Widnes had a weekend free? If not, surely this is just the modern equivalent of having ringers in your side.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#19 Michael Bates

Michael Bates
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

So is there anything to stop Widnes allowing Workington 5 of their top players if say Workington had a key game in the bid to avoid relegation and Widnes had a weekend free? If not, surely this is just the modern equivalent of having ringers in your side.

Or to get into the playoffs! Wouldn't want everyone to label us Rovers' fans as arrogant again ;)

#20 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Wouldn't picking a different 5 players each week just cause disruption?

The chance to train with team mates and know the game plan is essential, this could be a good idea and Workington may well pick the same 3 or 4 regardless of who else is available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users