Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

An Interesting Approach to Dual Reg.....

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#61 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Don't you think that's sad and depressing.? I do.

I will tell you in 20 years time if we are both still around.

If the game is much bigger and in better health I won't find it sad and depressing.

All I want is what is best for Rugby League as a sport in general. Look at the plans for the game in Leeds announced today.

That is NOT depressing. It's very very exciting.

#62 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Fev. Leigh, Sheffield and Halifax have had the integrity to refuse to get involved.

Using your own question what integrity? Did it not affect their integrity last season using dual registered players and loanees from SL clubs?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#63 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

That's the answer I was looking for. The changes imposed by the rich over the impoverished is kind of a "now you have nothing to do and nowhere to go why not make yourself useful"........

Exactly! Championship clubs are evolving to the environment we find ourselves in, i know for a fact Hunslet RLFC will NEVER be allowed to play in Super League as long as i live, so what do we do just continue as we are hoping that this season isnt our last and roll over and die? or do we try something new to try and make the best of the situation we find our selves in.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#64 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Who knows what the future holds, the only thing il say in the partnership we have built with Leeds and continue to do so is that its not ALL about players joining on dual reg agreements.There is a clear strategy earmarked by both clubs to help improve the game of rugby league at all levels within the city of Leeds. We have plans in place with Leeds which you have outlined above which are ground breaking and is something Hunslet RLFC are proud to be involved in, it can only be beneficial for our club to be involved in such a great scheme and the benefits of it will not only benefit us as a club and Leeds, but will encourage more and more people in Leeds to play this great sport and create player pathways.

This is why I have always believed you are doing an excellent job, and believe it all the more.

#65 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Using your own question what integrity? Did it not affect their integrity last season using dual registered players and loanees from SL clubs?

Great point Keith, they're not that pure, but of course they are jockeying each other for a 2015 SL place.

They'll sell their grannies for that :lol:

#66 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

There we go again. Where does it state that Town will be using 4 or 5 different Widnes players every week?

It doesn't. What it says is that any of the Widnes players will be available for Town if they are not in the first team squad for that week. I'm sure that will be the same for any of the SL players in any of the link ups.

Well if Town only had four dual registered loanees there could be no chopping and changing at will. If all the Widnes players are available to Town, it is highly unlikely that the same four will be picked every week. If one of the loanees gets injured or is wanted by Widnes on any given weekend, Workington will just pick some else from the Widnes squad.

It's just logical that this will happen. How can you not see that or are your blue and white spectacles blurring your vision?

#67 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Its not up to me to point you to the rules of the RFL, My club is well within the rules of the dual reg agreement, that's

The problem is the rules, published on the RFL's website, are those applying to last year. If there is a copy of this years anywhere I'd certainly be hugely grateful for a shove in the right direction to find them.

#68 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

And Keighley even though it might cost us our CC place with the main contenders for the relegation spots having signed on the A team list.

Weren't two of your star players in the Championship 1 play-off at Warrington against Town in 2011 dual registered players?

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#69 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Is Wigan loanee Gareth Hock included in the deal?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#70 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

I know for a fact Hunslet RLFC will NEVER be allowed to play in Super League as long as I Live.

Then I must get a hit team to bump you off BH!! ;)

Seriously, appreciate the reality quote BH.

Could you just give me the other names on the blacklist? PM them to me if you like.

#71 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

This is why I have always believed you are doing an excellent job, and believe it all the more.

Thanks Parksider, we are trying our best and its not easy, and we may not succeed, but we will give it all we've got! So we shall again.

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#72 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

The problem is the rules, published on the RFL's website, are those applying to last year. If there is a copy of this years anywhere I'd certainly be hugely grateful for a shove in the right direction to find them.

I have to be honest the rules have changed since the initial dual reg agreement was proposed to us at the end of last season, we were under the impression it was a max of 8-9 dual reg with 4-5 only playing at anyone time, hence why the Widnes Workington announcement came as a bit of a shock :)

But if its being sanctioned by the RFL then i can only presume its with in the rules (whatever they maybe) :)

#73 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

I will tell you in 20 years time if we are both still around.

If the game is much bigger and in better health I won't find it sad and depressing.

All I want is what is best for Rugby League as a sport in general. Look at the plans for the game in Leeds announced today.

That is NOT depressing. It's very very exciting.

Yes, those plans are great. Why can't Leeds do that on their own. Why turn Hunslet into an enabler to Leeds ambitions.?

If all CC clubs end up as apendages of SL clubs, I cannot see the game being bigger and better in 20 years.

The key to any success is a bigger league but the aims and ambitions seem to be to stifle all competiton and consolidate all power in the current SL clubs. There will be no expansion to create a bigger, more successful league. The entrenched moguls running SL will not ever share their Sky money to encourage expansion either numerically or geographically.

Even the new expansion clubs in CC1 are looked on as nothing more than player production nurseries for SL teams. There is no intent to ever see them at the top end of the game.

The SL is going well thanks to the new money coming in but it is still a stagnant pond, drying up rather than spreading out. This marginalsing of the current CCb competitons is all about stifling rivals and keeping the upstarts in their place.

#74 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,655 posts

This being a salary cap that doesn't allow any club to build a Superleague side before getting promotion?

The level of the salary cap ain't the issue. Its the salary cap principle that is potentially being thrown out of the window.

#75 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Is Wigan loanee Gareth Hock included in the deal?

No, Hock is excluded as he's not Widnes's to lend and any overseas player on a visa is also excluded as their visas stipulate they can only play for Widnes.

As a Town fan I'm not ecstatic about the whole partnering system but if it helps us stay up and consolidate, keeping us away from the graveyard that is C1, then I'll put up with it for now. As I said earlier, if we are going to have the system then we might as well exploit and make the best of a bad situation.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#76 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Great point Keith, they're not that pure, but of course they are jockeying each other for a 2015 SL place.

They'll sell their grannies for that :lol:

And SL clubs will kill off their friends to preserve their elite status as this initiative will show long term.

#77 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Then I must get a hit team to bump you off BH!! ;)

Seriously, appreciate the reality quote BH.

Could you just give me the other names on the blacklist? PM them to me if you like.

I will half of South Leeds with bounty on my head after that quote :) but on a serious note that's the reality of the situation, whether people want to hear it or not, its just how it is, its sad and hard to take, but again, you cant sit back and sulk and feel sorry for your self as a club we have to use that negative as a positive if that makes sense and try and get us to be the best we can at this level. If the Leeds partnership makes us the best club in this competition in 5-10 years time great, if it dosnt then what have we lost, in realty not a lot.

#78 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Weren't two of your star players in the Championship 1 play-off at Warrington against Town in 2011 dual registered players?

I will take your word for it. It won't happen again though, will it. All loanees will be going to the requiste A team.

#79 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

When this system was announced after the link up between Leeds and Hunslet, I stated that I was not happy with the idea and that there needed to be some hard and fast rules to regulate it. Since then almost every other link up has had differing benefits for the "junior" partner with such as Batley getting free medical services from the Giants, others using SL club facilities and services on a regular basis, etc, etc.

Having said that I now cannot believe some of the claptrap that is being spouted by some posters. Last season Championship and Championship 1 clubs were allowed to recruit 4 dual registered players as well as take "loanee" players from SL clubs. Doncaster won the Championship 1 title with I believe 3 or 4 dual reg players and many other clubs had 4 dual reg players in their 17 most weeks. Barrow reached the Championship 1 final with 3 or 4 dual registered players!! Did Fev not have some dual reg players? What about Halifax? Leigh?

As it has been said Town can only play 5 players at any one time and I don't believe for one minute that they will either do that or even want to do that each week. We have a good squad of young players with a sprinkling of good experienced players (Jamie Thackray, Ewan Dowes, Peter Lupton, Mark Calderwood) and I'm sure that our coaches will want to play our own lads as much as possible.

We have 23 players signed on but because several had operations during December and are still recuperating, plus we have had 3 players carrying over suspensions from last season, we haven't been able to play a friendly pre-season game. We had a run out at Widnes when we had to include two triallists and play our conditioner on the wing, and I can see that for our first few matches we may require upwards of 3 or 4 players from Widnes.

Our coaches will have identified the positions where we will be weakest and will no doubt look to Widnes for players to cover but I don't see how it is any different to what many clubs did last season, when dual reg players trained with their own SL clubs and came to the Championship club for one session before the weekends match.

So what's in it for Widnes then if you're only going to use three? Fev didn't have any DR players last season as far as I can remember btw
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#80 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Well if Town only had four dual registered loanees there could be no chopping and changing at will. If all the Widnes players are available to Town, it is highly unlikely that the same four will be picked every week. If one of the loanees gets injured or is wanted by Widnes on any given weekend, Workington will just pick some else from the Widnes squad.

It's just logical that this will happen. How can you not see that or are your blue and white spectacles blurring your vision?

There's nothing blurring my vision and I am don't intend to get personal like you. I don't like the system. When it first came out i wrote to Jonathon Roberts at the RFL asking him all sorts of questions about it including how does it affect the salary cap for the championship clubs, etc, and I was told that they would monitor the link ups and more or less would play it by ear.

Since then as I said there has been different things in each link up and just to keep you right after the clubs named plus Keighley and Barrow who you missed, Town were the next last to link with anyone. It was pretty obvious that clubs linking up with SL clubs were going to have advantages that could affect the integrity of the competition. The choice then was do Town join or get left behind? Having just spent 10 year in Championship 1 it was a no-brainer. Either we jump in to bed with someone or we bury our heads in the sand and end up back where we came from!!!

I still don't like the system but if the majority are using the system to the best advantage for their own club then I can accept it for us as well.

At the end of last season Town had 4 dual registered / loanee players from SL clubs. One got suspended and the other 3 weren't available for a midweek game at Gatehead. Town had 4 or 5 players out injured and we went to play that game with 10 fit players, brought 2 out of retirement and had put two of the injured players names on the team-sheet to make the 17 so that we didn't get a fine. We lost in what was Gatesheads first win for 60 odd games. so we know more than anyone what it is like when SL clubs don't make their dual reg players available. That shouldn't happen this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users