Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

An Interesting Approach to Dual Reg.....

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#101 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

How can it be a step to far by workington? Workington are still playing by the rules, and are exploiting them to the maximum so i dont know how you or any one can blame them?

I think you mean its a step to far by the (rlf)? by allowing this to happen, is it not?

I personally don't think it will work that's why it's a step too far, Workington could potentially have a different 5 Widnes players playing I thier team in consecutive weeks, how can that be good for Workington as a team?, how can that be good for the current players? no continuity, players not knowing if they will be in one week out the next, i honesty think we have got it right at Hunslet by coming out and naming the 4 players who we will have for the season, we know were we stand, as do our supporters, they know the 4 players who could potentialy play, our current squad know the 4 players and will know whos going to have to step up to keep their place in the team. I just think that's the way to go about it, nothing against Workington hope it works but can't see it been healthy for them.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#102 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

All at the expense of the integrity of the second highest standard RL league in europe. You probably have a right to praise Swinton for the move as it saves your club 100k a year.

Just on another point also let's say Widnes didn't make it into the end of season play offs (they likely won't) and Workington do. The RFL surely can't block Widnes' 5 best players playing for Workington as they are registered as their own players for the season.

So clubs shouldn't really think about building their OWN squad they should be thinking about which SL squad will have the highest standard of players who haven't made the play offs, tough decision mind but then again that's what sport is all about...

100k not sure on that, my question, can Swinton afford that??

Widnes not making the play offs is a given , so we'll see in 7 months time.

Did you not read my post? Swinton can bring on their talent with the pooled resources.

#103 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

That doesnt answer his question. Were you happy with the systems in place when you beat Workington in the final at Warrington with 2 dual reg players?

On loan players have been a feature of RL for eons. So two is not so bad but 24, a whole squad, that's just ludicrous.

#104 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

I personally don't think it will work that's why it's a step too far, Workington could potentially have a different 5 Widnes players playing I thier team in consecutive weeks, how can that be good for Workington as a team?, how can that be good for the current players? no continuity, players not knowing if they will be in one week out the next, i honesty think we have got it right at Hunslet by coming out and naming the 4 players who we will have for the season, we know were we stand, as do our supporters, they know the 4 players who could potentialy play, our current squad know the 4 players and will know whos going to have to step up to keep their place in the team. I just think that's the way to go about it, nothing against Workington hope it works but can't see it been healthy for them.

I think poeple are getting caught up with the number of players who can play at one time..... Yes there's a max of five, but who says they'll get a position / place.

It's still up to the coach of the championship club to pick the team, surely a good coach will pick a stable time week in week out... What's best for the club and not the SL club.

It's not a god given right a kid from the old academy system will automatically get a place week in week out.
Even players returning back from injury may not even fit in with the championship coaches plans that week!!

#105 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Come on Swinton, hope the five players you're allowed from Wires get you top of the league!!

If not, hope the shared resources help improve your club, bring on the lions talented players and make a real effort on and off the field.

Here's to Swinton having stability, financial strength and being able to compete with the likes of fax, fev, Leigh etc

If your wish comes true and Swinton win the Cc grand final with Warrington players and no ground and no money or fans at the expense of Fev or Halifax, or Leigh, what good will that do for RL. It might end up with one of the aforementioned clubs suffering a meltdown just so Warrington can save expenses on junior players and it will not help Swinton one little bit.

What would help Swinton would be to get the Agecroft ground built, re establish their roots in Swinton, grow their support base and then look for players and investment and see where they might go but they have no future as Warringtons gofers.

#106 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

On loan players have been a feature of RL for eons. So two is not so bad but 24, a whole squad, that's just ludicrous.

You do know workington arent ever going to loan 24 players, and as yet havent actually taken any players. The facts are keighly made use of dual reg to bring In 2 players who were 2 of their best players to help them. It seems your ok with this but suddenly its not fair.

#107 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

100k not sure on that, my question, can Swinton afford that??

Widnes not making the play offs is a given , so we'll see in 7 months time.

Did you not read my post? Swinton can bring on their talent with the pooled resources.

Scrapping the under 23s and moving into the feeder arrangement saves SL clubs 100k a year which is why they've done, Swintons finances are irrelevant.

Why will Swinton bring through their own players when they can just have Wires? Seems pointless to me. It doesn't encourage to build up your own squad and youngsters as you're just giving SL club players a run out.

#108 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

You do know workington arent ever going to loan 24 players, and as yet havent actually taken any players. The facts are keighly made use of dual reg to bring In 2 players who were 2 of their best players to help them. It seems your ok with this but suddenly its not fair.

"
Did Keighley have the option of going to the parent club of their loanees and saying, loanee #1 is injured, can I have another" or even, "loanee # 2 is not playing so well and anyway he's a stand off and I need another prop this week, can you help me out there?"

That's what is going to happen here. It's a farce. Workington will be Widnes A team and suceed at the detriment of the stand alone clubs, not only Town but all these other artificial,contrived teams assembled to benefit SL player needs.

#109 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

You should be on the telly with a skill like that, not many people can see into the future. As for your question, I have no idea. But the fact is keighly made use of the system to aid their season, as are workington. Its pure hypocrisy for you to be so opposed to it.

#110 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

If your wish comes true and Swinton win the Cc grand final with Warrington players and no ground and no money or fans at the expense of Fev or Halifax, or Leigh, what good will that do for RL. It might end up with one of the aforementioned clubs suffering a meltdown just so Warrington can save expenses on junior players and it will not help Swinton one little bit.

What would help Swinton would be to get the Agecroft ground built, re establish their roots in Swinton, grow their support base and then look for players and investment and see where they might go but they have no future as Warringtons gofers.

Come on, my first part of my post was tongue and cheek......... Loaning 5 players won't make Swinton into world beaters..... It's all a learning curve, we need to see what happens.

League is on its ass, I'd love Swinton to be back in the big league, it's been 30 years iirc

#111 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

i agree with every thing you have said, but worky have the pick out of widnes' main squad and hunslet have what 4 of leeds u21 or academy players dnt u?(i dnt know). and about the continuity and players not knowing weather they make the squad or not, i think the coaches will have told the worky players (if they dont know already) that this is the arrangement and be prepared that some weeks you may not get a game. dont u?

#112 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Scrapping the under 23s and moving into the feeder arrangement saves SL clubs 100k a year which is why they've done, Swintons finances are irrelevant.

Why will Swinton bring through their own players when they can just have Wires? Seems pointless to me. It doesn't encourage to build up your own squad and youngsters as you're just giving SL club players a run out.

Of course Swinton finances are relevant, can they afford the salaries of the DR players??

Swinton have to bring their own through the system, last time I went to a rugby match a team needed 17 players not 5

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 25 January 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#113 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,357 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

It may well be an end game and it may well end badly for the totality of the game, even SL.

And it may well end fantastically for the totality of the game even SL.

Hetherington is the smart cookey (with apologies to Cookey :D ) he has trebled the RL fanbase in Leeds during my time in the game, and he has created a vibrant amateur scene in the city well in excess of what I could ever have dreamed of.

AND he has plans for more of the same.

Mr. Hetherington really is the only choice to lead RL into the future and his management of the game in Leeds should be extended to him managing it across the country.

#114 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

This thread has turned into another vision of doom and gloom, predicting all sorts of ridiculous scenarios that are extremely unlikey ever to come close to happening.

When people talk about feeder clubs they should look at who is feeding who players.

Of course its a cost cutting exercise, its a cost cutting exercise for the whole game, we are not immune to what is going on in the wider world, in fact we are probably more vulnerable than most other pro sports.

Its depressing listening the consistent whiners predicting doom and gloom that never actually materialises.

The game, and clubs, has its ups and downs but generally it, and the clubs, pull through, and that is despite the so called supporters of the game continually telling anyone that will listen that its kr@p..

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#115 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,357 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

1. Hunslet will be so interwined and symbiotically meshed with Leeds that there is no way they could ever get to a position tp be "allowed" to challenge for a SL place.

2. However, for York, Doncaster, Barrow,Oldham, Rochdale and the other Cumbrian clubs, it is a bad thing. They should be "allowed" to develop to be potential SL clubs in their areas.

1. Wake up and smell the coffee and listen to BH. Hunslet will NEVER be an SL club.

2. York Donny, Oldham and Rochdale have decided that's it. Accept it. It's their choice.

Barrow are a different case, but several years ago the RFL declared Cumbria as not viable for SL after a study. Before you have a go at me I still champion the area but Cumbrian fans themselves put me down.

#116 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Come on, my first part of my post was tongue and cheek......... Loaning 5 players won't make Swinton into world beaters..... It's all a learning curve, we need to see what happens.

League is on its ass, I'd love Swinton to be back in the big league, it's been 30 years iirc

I would like to see Swinton back in the big league but where are the necessary finances going to come from whilst they are mascarading as Warrington A and their players, or a key core of them, are available or not at the whim of the senior club. What top players will sign for an feeder club ?

Nobody will invest in Warrington A or any other A team. Cumbria have been touted many times for a SL club. Being Widnes A team will not get one.

#117 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

I would like to see Swinton back in the big league but where are the necessary finances going to come from whilst they are mascarading as Warrington A and their players, or a key core of them, are available or not at the whim of the senior club. What top players will sign for an feeder club ?

Nobody will invest in Warrington A or any other A team. Cumbria have been touted many times for a SL club. Being Widnes A team will not get one.

Where have the necessary finances been for the last 16 years? Having 5 Warrington or Widnes players makes no difference whatsoever.
Posted Image

#118 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

5 players ain't an A team.

#119 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

1. Wake up and smell the coffee and listen to BH. Hunslet will NEVER be an SL club.

2. York Donny, Oldham and Rochdale have decided that's it. Accept it. It's their choice.

And of course, nothing is permanent. :)
Posted Image

#120 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

How long do you think it will take Swinton, as they stand now, to build themselves a ground or become financially viable enough to be able to afford to have a long term lease on a suitable ground.

Give me your prediction, you are very good at offering predictions on lots of other stuff.

Edited by Padge, 25 January 2013 - 08:40 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.