• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

http://matchdaymail....5&c=1673&m=1931

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

There is actually some substance contained within the press release. This paragraph detailing the plan for the Rhinos/Hawks partnership is worthy of further attention. If they meet their ambitious targets, it will have a big impact on the game in Leeds and Yorkshire

The biggest development though will come in schools and community Rugby League under the work of the Leeds Rugby Foundation. Between the Rhinos and Hunslet, there are currently 35 hours of coaching delivered each week in schools with the new structure hoped to raise that to 150 hours per week. The key targets are to have:
• 100 new schools offering Rugby League
• 100 new fully qualified level 2 coaches
• 1,000 new players in primary schools
• 2 new amateur clubs in the city
• 1,000 new fans
• A new heritage facility at Headingley Carnegie Stadium
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#3 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

It dosn't sound like a partnership, more like a master and servant relationship. Come and watch your future Leeds stars develop at Hunslet sums it up. They are a minor league team for the benefit of the Rhinos.

The plan s for the junior game are impresive and welcome and I hope they exceed their wildest projections but, having contributed to any success in improvoig the amateur game in Leeds with the obvious aim of producing future professional stars, Hunslet will still be expected to be merely a stepping stone for the best of these to end up at Leeds. Their fate is sealed. Leeds might as just well annex them, take them over lock, stock and barrel and then they will completely control RL in Leeds.

#4 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

It dosn't sound like a partnership, more like a master and servant relationship. Come and watch your future Leeds stars develop at Hunslet sums it up. They are a minor league team for the benefit of the Rhinos.

The plan s for the junior game are impresive and welcome and I hope they exceed their wildest projections but, having contributed to any success in improvoig the amateur game in Leeds with the obvious aim of producing future professional stars, Hunslet will still be expected to be merely a stepping stone for the best of these to end up at Leeds. Their fate is sealed. Leeds might as just well annex them, take them over lock, stock and barrel and then they will completely control RL in Leeds.

Until Hunslet find a ground fit for SuperLeague and a fanbase to fill it, thats all they will ever be anyway. And thats not a bad thing.

Why shouldn't they get loads of help by a world class club both on and off the field? It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
Posted Image

#5 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

So what?

Who cares really??

All I care about is that in 1971 when I'd got round all 3 Leeds clubs to watch them the combined attendance in Leeds for all three clubs games was about 6,000 fans and the amateur game was dying on it's bum.

Now I'm facing Rugby League in Leeds attracting three times as many fans and a tremendously vibrant amateur game maybe the best in the northern bl00dy hemisphere...

Praise the Lord for he has delivered a dream..............For our wonderful game....

What is up with you??

#6 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

hunslet do have a secure future in the championships were they will have as much chance of suvival as keighley
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#7 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

hunslet do have a secure future in the championships were they will have as much chance of suvival as keighley

Ultimately they will have a secure future even if it's as a series of exhibits in the Leeds Rugby League heritage centre in the Carnegie stand, next to the Bramley exhibit.

I wuz there when we were down to 150 fans being asked to pay more by Stephen Ball to keep the club alive and some of us did some of us didn't but it failed. So we have had to accept the tie in with Leeds. To me it won't be the same Hunslet, but I put the game in the city well before my club. All I ask is that if we go the way of Bramley, both clubs won't be forgotten, their heritage won't be forgotten and above all the attitude from Leeds won't be we saw them off.

Clearly the attitude from Hetherington is that he knows the game has had to change and modernise, but in doing so it's left some of us behind. He is happy to keep my club alive and seemingly happy to preserve the memories. In unfortunate circumstances in sport you look for some understanding from your "foes" after all we are all in the game together.

I see that big style. I appreciate it.

#8 Grebo Guru

Grebo Guru
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

So what?

Who cares really??

All I care about is that in 1971 when I'd got round all 3 Leeds clubs to watch them the combined attendance in Leeds for all three clubs games was about 6,000 fans and the amateur game was dying on it's bum.

Now I'm facing Rugby League in Leeds attracting three times as many fans and a tremendously vibrant amateur game maybe the best in the northern bl00dy hemisphere...

Praise the Lord for he has delivered a dream..............For our wonderful game....

What is up with you??

And in 1961 18000 people were watching RL in Leeds, 11000 of them at Headingley.

There are no more people watching RL in Leeds now than 50 years ago. It's just that they're all watching one club. Teams that have a meaningful competition and win that competition regularly have the biggest crowds. It was ever thus.

I have a soft spot for Hunslet and watched them when I lived in Leeds. While I accept that the future of the game involves everyone watching six clubs play each other all the time for the silverware, I miss the broader competition of years gone by.

#9 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

And in 1961 18000 people were watching RL in Leeds, 11000 of them at Headingley.

There are no more people watching RL in Leeds now than 50 years ago. It's just that they're all watching one club. Teams that have a meaningful competition and win that competition regularly have the biggest crowds. It was ever thus.

I have a soft spot for Hunslet and watched them when I lived in Leeds. While I accept that the future of the game involves everyone watching six clubs play each other all the time for the silverware, I miss the broader competition of years gone by.

Well go back to the 1940's and strengthen your point even further, but you put your finger on the problem.

We as a game have to survive in the 2010's. Not 50 years ago.

Yes we nearly all watch one club in Leeds and it's damn successful.

But when I expand the point you may appreciate if they all watched one club in Hull It'd be a monster club.

If they all watched one club in Calder it's be bigger than Hull United.

You may have liked the past, but can we recreate it for you or me (as much as I'd love it) in 2013?

Share the SKY money 30 ways and watch the game do what?????

Edited by The Parksider, 25 January 2013 - 10:25 PM.

#10 Grebo Guru

Grebo Guru
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Well go back to the 1940's and strengthen your point even further, but you put your finger on the problem.

But when I expand the point you may appreciate if they all watched one club in Hull It'd be a monster club.

You may have liked the past, but can we recreate it for you or me (as much as I'd love it) in 2013?

I accept the future and will continue to watch my club. Having said that I'm irrationally attached to them and would under certain circumstances watch a merged club or watch them if they switched sport completely.

Without wishing to start another merger thread having the rivalry of two clubs in Hull strengthens the game there. It's all people talk about on a Monday morning. When Hull KR spent 13 years in "oblivion" to use Eddie Hemmings word for the Championship, Hull were not averaging 20,000 every week.

#11 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

I accept the future and will continue to watch my club. Having said that I'm irrationally attached to them and would under certain circumstances watch a merged club or watch them if they switched sport completely.

Without wishing to start another merger thread having the rivalry of two clubs in Hull strengthens the game there. It's all people talk about on a Monday morning. When Hull KR spent 13 years in "oblivion" to use Eddie Hemmings word for the Championship, Hull were not averaging 20,000 every week.

HKR will be fine as long as they are needed in SL i.e. SLE can't find enough "big" clubs to stock SL. The current money problems can't help though. No, of course Hull didn't average 20,000 when HKR were out.

Given Leeds fantastic success one wonder why they don't average 20,000 now you mention it?

Must be a limit to the number of people interested in our game. Thank you for the reply.

#12 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Until Hunslet find a ground fit for SuperLeague and a fanbase to fill it, thats all they will ever be anyway. And thats not a bad thing.

Why shouldn't they get loads of help by a world class club both on and off the field? It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

I think it's more a case of Leeds helping themselves than any altruistic concern for Hunslet.

#13 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

So what?

Who cares really??

What is up with you??

Sky sports has delivered most of that dream.

#14 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

I think it's more a case of Leeds helping themselves than any altruistic concern for Hunslet.

Really,if that was the case don't you think Leeds would have done what Widnes have done re. dual reg players etc.
Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#15 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

More chance seeing as how their survival is in Leeds interest. That's not necessarily a good thing.

#16 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

So what? Hunslet are still getting the assistance they need.
Posted Image

#17 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

More chance seeing as how their survival is in Leeds interest. That's not necessarily a good thing.

Why isn't it?
Posted Image

#18 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Contract to a small rump league and watch it do whaT ????

#19 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

A

And Leeds are not averaging 18,000 with the city to themselves, so this mega club theory is just that and an unproven one to boot.

#20 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Really,if that was the case don't you think Leeds would have done what Widnes have done re. dual reg players etc.

Now that the precedent has been set by others I think Leeds will probably jump on that bandwagon. It looks like the other SL clubs have one upped them for once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users