Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RUNNING IN THE FAMILY.

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#1 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Righto.

Ive just finished my series on Rovers full-backs on the blog, here:

http://marklaspalmas.blogspot.com.es/

and the next series is going to be Running in the Family, all the various families where brothers, father and son, etc have played for Fev.

If you have any information on any Rovers family, especially these:

Anderson
Barraclough
Barker
Dooler
Downs
Kellett
Jones
Morgan
Smith
Tonks
Ward
Wooley

please drop us a line. Thanks.

A Fev Blog

#2 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

New blog series starts today. It's called "Running In The Family" and first up are Tommy and Ian. If you have any info on people who should be in this series, please get in touch.......

http://marklaspalmas...ian-smales.html

Posted Image

A Fev Blog

#3 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Tommy's lads....

http://marklaspalmas...x-neil-fox.html

Posted Image

A Fev Blog

#4 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

The Clawsons....

http://marklaspalmas...il-clawson.html

Posted Image

A Fev Blog

#5 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Jim & Sid..........

http://marklaspalmas...sid-denton.html

A Fev Blog

#6 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Great stuff !!
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#7 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Great stuff !!

Thanks Griff.

Today, two brothers who both became Head coach at Fev....

http://marklaspalmas...evin-hobbs.html

A Fev Blog

#8 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

We nearly had the Beatles. John, Paul, Richard and Shaun. Will they be in your blog Mark? By the way I enjoyed the Smales blog, great stuff.

#9 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

I enjoyed the Smales blog too, and it brought back visions of a photograph I remember seeing somewhere :- It is of Rovers' juniors from sometime around 57/58. It contained Tommy and Neil Fox who signed for Wakefield and Wigan respectively, plus Brian Shaw who played for Hull KR. Brian is a Rovers' life member, and his son Chris was a fast bowler for Yorkshire in the 80's. He was tipped to play for England but his career was cut short by injury.Chris is also a keen Rovers fan, and I can remember him bringing along half the Yorkshire team in his cricketing days.
I'm sure there were other future stars in the line-up but my memory fails me, has anyone else seen it?

BTW, I also thought that loose-forward was Ian's best position, but with Tuuta in the side he was equally as good at centre, he often played there when Newlove was absent, and he was almost as good. He didn't have the same pace, but his side-step was un-equalled.

Edited by Steve Slater, 03 February 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#10 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

We nearly had the Beatles. John, Paul, Richard and Shaun. Will they be in your blog Mark? By the way I enjoyed the Smales blog, great stuff.

Oh aye, they're in.

A Fev Blog

#11 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

I enjoyed the Smales blog too, and it brought back visions of a photograph I remember seeing somewhere :- It is of Rovers' juniors from sometime around 57/58. It contained Tommy and Neil Fox who signed for Wakefield and Wigan respectively, plus Brian Shaw who played for Hull KR. Brian is a Rovers' life member, and his son Chris was a fast bowler for Yorkshire in the 80's. He was tipped to play for England but his career was cut short by injury.Chris is also a keen Rovers fan, and I can remember him bringing along half the Yorkshire team in his cricketing days.
I'm sure there were other future stars in the line-up but my memory fails me, has anyone else seen it?

BTW, I also thought that loose-forward was Ian's best position, but with Tuuta in the side he was equally as good at centre, he often played there when Newlove was absent, and he was almost as good. He didn't have the same pace, but his side-step was un-equalled.

I remember seeing Chris at matches when he played for Yorkshire and he had his sponsored car (nowt flash) parked outside. I never knew his dad played professionally.

A Fev Blog

#12 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Mark, around about 83/84 I seem to recall Rovers had an occasional substitute called Chris Welburn, I think he went on to play amateur soccer. His nickname was 'Wizzer', a speedy winger as I think. I just wondered if he was related to Kenny Welburn? Rovers had a few sons around at that time. 'Chocco' Woolford and Tony Nicholson to name a couple more, and I remember Jason Ramshaw being a ballboy then before he went to play for Halifax.

#13 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

i wish my memory was as good as yours Andrew
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#14 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

It's full o ###### though OR.

#15 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Mark, around about 83/84 I seem to recall Rovers had an occasional substitute called Chris Welburn, I think he went on to play amateur soccer. His nickname was 'Wizzer', a speedy winger as I think. I just wondered if he was related to Kenny Welburn? Rovers had a few sons around at that time. 'Chocco' Woolford and Tony Nicholson to name a couple more, and I remember Jason Ramshaw being a ballboy then before he went to play for Halifax.

I do remember the name Welburn but whether he's related to the great Ken I don't know. Grandson perhaps. The Woolfords of course, and Tony is Stan's son, so they'll be in too. Ramshaws also, though Jason dedicated his career to Keighley rather than his home town team.

A Fev Blog

#16 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,199 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

I do remember the name Welburn but whether he's related to the great Ken I don't know. Grandson perhaps. The Woolfords of course, and Tony is Stan's son, so they'll be in too. Ramshaws also, though Jason dedicated his career to Keighley rather than his home town team.

Whizz isn't Kens Grandson, think they may be related somehow, and Tony is Arnies son, not Stan,s son
Im Fev and im proud

#17 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 596 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Another family connection albeit Uncle/Nephew is Paul Coventry and Jamie Coventry.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#18 Bazzer

Bazzer
  • Players
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

What about Jackie and Dale Fennell

#19 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Whizz isn't Kens Grandson, think they may be related somehow, and Tony is Arnies son, not Stan,s son

Not the first time you've had to correct me Maureen! Now you mention it, I think Arnie was on the A team coaching staff while Tony was playing. So, are Stan and Arnie brothers?

The Fennells and Coventrys are also included in the series.

A Fev Blog

#20 Smithy

Smithy
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

I believe Whizz is Ken's nephew.