RUNNING IN THE FAMILY.

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#41 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Yes, he has the no.19 shirt at the Giants this year. Keal Carlile is at Hull KR, he played yesterday. I thought he was at Bradford, and then was seriously ill, wasn't he?

Yeah , Keall was ill, I think it was when he was at the giants, nice to see him back. He is from Chequerfield / Willow park.
as is Zak, Tom Carr, Gaz Raynor and Larne Patrick.

Mark, there were seven Ropati brothers who played the six as you said and the eldest Feu.

#42 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

Maureen, would David be about 46/47 years of age,?If so this could be the one who played at Rovers Jnrs in the early 80s.

#43 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Ex - Featherstone coach Andy Kelly's brother Neil played for Rovers in the mid 80s.

#44 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Maureen, would David be about 46/47 years of age,?If so this could be the one who played at Rovers Jnrs in the early 80s.

I do believe he is Andrew
Im Fev and im proud

#45 barney

barney
  • Coach
  • 917 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Yeah , Keall was ill, I think it was when he was at the giants, nice to see him back. He is from Chequerfield / Willow park.
as is Zak, Tom Carr, Gaz Raynor and Larne Patrick

Dont forget Dale Ferguson think he's a local lad too.
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if its late.

#46 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

The Woolfords, father and son.

http://marklaspalmas...l-woolford.html

Posted Image

#47 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

The Woolfords, father and son.

http://marklaspalmas...l-woolford.html

Posted Image

another one of my heroes. because of his try scoring exploits, people seem to forget about his defensive capabilities. a great tackler and hard as nails. whenever he got the ball though, we were all on our toes expecting a score. i think Terry Clawson names him in his team of greats that he played with.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#48 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

What about ......Mick Gibbins and

Bluebeard :-)))))
Im Fev and im proud

#49 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

What about ......Mick Gibbins and
Bluebeard :-)))))

The Gibbins will be featured. mick's brother Brian played a bit for the first team. Not sure if Bluebeard qualifies......... :D

#50 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

another one of my heroes. because of his try scoring exploits, people seem to forget about his defensive capabilities. a great tackler and hard as nails. whenever he got the ball though, we were all on our toes expecting a score. i think Terry Clawson names him in his team of greats that he played with.

Yes, I was talking about Cyril to my dad, and he loved his whole-hearted style. Very very hard man. They lived at the end of our street all my childhood.

#51 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

Going back a day or two for today's family, the Metcalfes.

http://marklaspalmas...n-metcalfe.html

#52 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Going back a day or two for today's family, the Metcalfes.

http://marklaspalmas...n-metcalfe.html

thanks Mark. some interesting stuff behind the facts and figures.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#53 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

thanks Mark. some interesting stuff behind the facts and figures.

I think Don was quite a cultured chap. He was a Maths lecturer at Wakefield College after playing.

#54 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

I had Don at Wakefield college.1984/85. Don't want rain on anyone's parade here, but I was quite excited to learn that he'd once been a Rovers player and told him so. He somewhat disappointingly replied that he preferred Wakefield a d wasn't that fond of Rovers. I thought maybe he was saying it tongue in cheek but after a few weeks of his lessons I realised that he didn't do tongue in cheek.

#55 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

I had Don at Wakefield college.1984/85. Don't want rain on anyone's parade here, but I was quite excited to learn that he'd once been a Rovers player and told him so. He somewhat disappointingly replied that he preferred Wakefield a d wasn't that fond of Rovers. I thought maybe he was saying it tongue in cheek but after a few weeks of his lessons I realised that he didn't do tongue in cheek.

During my time as working as a carer I visited a couple in Wakefield to provide care, we got talking and they asked where I came from and when I replied Featherstone the gentleman asked me if I followed Rovers, naturally I told him yes, his wife then informed me that her brother used to play for Rovers. This brother turned out to be Don Metcalfe, I told them about my family's involvement with the Rovers etc and we shared some memories, but I too got the distinct impression that Wakefield was the favourite.
Im Fev and im proud

#56 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

let's be fair though, wakey were a top club at the time
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#57 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Fair do's. Not every ex-player has to love the club. All his family were from Wakefield and he started out at Sandal RU. I think he had serious differences with the committee too before leaving. Something to do with him being club captain but asked to play in a position he didn't want to.

#58 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

You're of course correct Mark. I don't want to speak ill of the departed and I am perhaps digressing, however, my first hand memories were not of a very nice man. Still he wore the Rovers' colours with pride and when all is said and done when he coaches you in the open age side that included Messrs. Gunn, Sharp and Liley (RU), of whom I couldn't lace their boots, no wonder he thought of me as a Fool. Still I topped his Maths class.

Edited by Maureen T-k, 12 February 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#59 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

The Agars....

http://marklaspalmas.blogspot.com.es/

Posted Image

#60 Mick Thornton

Mick Thornton
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

In my playing days I played at Ackworth with Fred Agar who had also been on the Rovers books and is related to Alan.
M.J.Thornton

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users