Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RUNNING IN THE FAMILY.

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#61 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

In my playing days I played at Ackworth with Fred Agar who had also been on the Rovers books and is related to Alan.

Interesting. Yes, Fred Agar played for Rovers 64 to 66 around 10 matches. Allan's older brother perhaps? Could you find out for us Mick? Ta.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#62 Bazzer

Bazzer
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Fred is Alan's older brother. Used to be caretaker at Willow park school in Pontefract.

#63 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Fred is Alan's older brother. Used to be caretaker at Willow park school in Pontefract.

Cheers Bazzer

#64 getting2old

getting2old
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Didn't we have the Tuff Brothers and Butt Brothers too.

#65 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

The Butt bros have been mentioned earlier on I think. The interesting thing about the Tuffs brothers was that they played for Rovers over a three decade span. Neil and Robin in the 70 s, Neil came back for a brief spell in 83/84 and Simon played in the mid 90s alongside Jon Sharp who's is the brother of Tim and Robin.

#66 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

The Butt bros have been mentioned earlier on I think. The interesting thing about the Tuffs brothers was that they played for Rovers over a three decade span. Neil and Robin in the 70 s, Neil came back for a brief spell in 83/84 and Simon played in the mid 90s alongside Jon Sharp who's is the brother of Tim and Robin.

Yes, Tony BUtt managed a game or two I believe.

I think Im right in saying (waits for Maureen.....;)) that Mrs Tuffs who was our post-lady had four lads and Neil, Robin and Simon were 2nd 3rd and 4th. The oldest lad, Monk (don't know his real name) didn't play,

#67 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,123 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

I think Im right in saying (waits for Maureen.....;)) that Mrs Tuffs who was our post-lady had four lads and Neil, Robin and Simon were 2nd 3rd and 4th. The oldest lad, Monk (don't know his real name) didn't play,

His name is Philip, had a fish shop on Finkle street in Ponty
Neil is oldest, same age as me, then Robin and Philip are twins then Simon the youngest :-))))

Edited by Maureen T-k, 18 February 2013 - 10:45 AM.

Im Fev and im proud

#68 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Ta Maureen.

Today's family is the Williams'.

http://marklaspalmas...-and-jimmy.html

Posted Image

#69 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Monk, used to be a reasonable amateur player with Jubilee ARLFC. What I remember most about him was that he used to bring his Alsatian to the Rovers games. I also remember being stood near him and his dog in Jan 83, well before the cup campaign, I overheard him say to his mate, that he was convinced that Rovers would win the cup that year, despite their lowly league position at the time he was saying it. I don't know whether or not he followed his hunch and had a bet but He would have won a tidy sum. I think that we were at least 100-1 at one bit, antepost.

#70 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

Cheers Andrew, Ive included a snippet of your info in today's blog.........

Three brothers whose contribution to the Rovers cause spanned over twenty years.

http://marklaspalmas.blogspot.com.es/

I can't find any photos of today's boys. Can you help??

Ta.

#71 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,123 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Three brothers whose contribution to the Rovers cause spanned over twenty years.

Ta.

Good reading so far Mark, but I do believe you still have Robin down as the oldest and it is Neil who is the eldest. Neil as lived in Australia for many years now, I've put a photo on your Facebook page of Neil for you

Edited by Maureen T-k, 19 February 2013 - 03:03 PM.

Im Fev and im proud

#72 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

Good reading so far Mark, but I do believe you still have Robin down as the oldest and it is Neil who is the eldest. Neil as lived in Australia for many years now, I've put a photo on your Facebook page of Neil for you

Oh stuff it, you are right, I thought I'd changed that. Ta. As ever. ;)

#73 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Mark, do you remember Neil Tuffs coming back to Featherstone, after his spells with Fulham and Kent? I think that he played at loose forward ( don't know where "bosh" was that day) in a home league game against Hull on New Year's day 1984, or thereabouts. We were beaten narrowly on a really murky afternoon. I think I remember Richard Marsh scoring in the corner from a Neil Tuffs pass. Incidentally wasn't it Neil Tuffs who was nicknamed "sailor"?

Edited by Andrew Vause, 20 February 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#74 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Ta.

Great read as usual check your pm mate.

#75 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Mark, do you remember Neil Tuffs coming back to Featherstone, after his spells with Fulham and Kent? I think that he played at loose forward ( don't know where "bosh" was that day) in a home league game against Hull on New Year's day 1984, or thereabouts. We were beaten narrowly on a really murky afternoon. I think I remember Richard Marsh scoring in the corner from a Neil Tuffs pass. Incidentally wasn't it Neil Tuffs who was nicknamed "sailor"?

Ha! What a memory! I've just looked it up, and it was as you said. I was definitely there that day, but I don't remember a single thing from that match! I guess AA must have coaxed him out of semi-retirement for one last game. Lyman wasn't really establsihed at LF in 83/4. Mostly it was Tex Hudson at 13 that year.

#76 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Ha! What a memory! I've just looked it up, and it was as you said. I was definitely there that day, but I don't remember a single thing from that match! I guess AA must have coaxed him out of semi-retirement for one last game. Lyman wasn't really establsihed at LF in 83/4. Mostly it was Tex Hudson at 13 that year.

I had a feeling that Paul hadn't made it at that point, mate. That explains it thanks.

#77 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Come on you Spurrs!!

A bit of a milestone today with 10-yard Bob and his lads. It's my 100th blog post on the Rovers!

http://marklaspalmas...hris-spurr.html

Posted Image

#78 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Eric Batten, his dad and his brothers....
http://marklaspalmas...ric-batten.html

Posted Image

#79 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Featherstone Rovers' Founding Father:

http://marklaspalmas...ohnson-jnr.html

Posted Image

#80 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

Was George Johnson Jnr the same guy who was the team manager for Cas & District juniors in the late sixties/early seventies? The bloke I'm thinking of would have been in his sixties when I played for the district side around that time. It would tie up with him signing for Rovers in 1931?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users