Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RUNNING IN THE FAMILY.

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#101 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

Paul Hughes played down at POR a few weeks ago, he and Liam Hood sharing the hooking duties for Hunslet.

Carl's best game in my opinion, was in Rovers' promotion season of 2007. We played Oldham at the beginning of June that year at POR. Oldham were pushing for promotion that year and defeating Rovers at home would have been a massive body blow. I recall Oldham leading comfortably at half time when 2 things happened. 1) Tony Tonks was sent off for Oldham. 2) Carl Hughes came on for Rovers and in a magnificent second half display he turned the game on its head with two lovely tries enabling Rovers to win narrowly. Oldham were not so much of a threat to Rovers in the league, that year, after that.

#102 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

Paul Hughes played down at POR a few weeks ago, he and Liam Hood sharing the hooking duties for Hunslet.

Carl's best game in my opinion, was in Rovers' promotion season of 2007. We played Oldham at the beginning of June that year at POR. Oldham were pushing for promotion that year and defeating Rovers at home would have been a massive body blow. I recall Oldham leading comfortably at half time when 2 things happened. 1) Tony Tonks was sent off for Oldham. 2) Carl Hughes came on for Rovers and in a magnificent second half display he turned the game on its head with two lovely tries enabling Rovers to win narrowly. Oldham were not so much of a threat to Rovers in the league, that year, after that.

there you go again Leslie, lol
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#103 Bazzer

Bazzer
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Don't know if you've done them yet Mark but I remember the Ogdens, Jack and Maurice from the early 50's

#104 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Don't know if you've done them yet Mark but I remember the Ogdens, Jack and Maurice from the early 50's

Yes Bazzer, they are on the list, but truth be told, once you get back to the 1950s information on players is a bit scarce, and I'd have to visit the P&C archives to find out more about those two and others too.

A Fev Blog

#105 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Tim & Jon....

http://marklaspalmas...-tim-sharp.html

Posted Image

A Fev Blog

#106 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

I went to Wakefield College in 1983. The first thing I did was join the RL team. I was Fev mad, and I'd only played Rugby Union before.
The team that formed was out of my league. John Liley, Chris Hale, Richard Gunn, Tony Chapman, Mark Milner and Paul Wild were the heart of this team. The first player ending up being a Leicester Tiger legend in RU and the others all eventually playing for my beloved Rovers. Then there was one other. Jonathon Sharp. He was a collosus. 17 years old, teeth missing, could play any of the 13 positions could kick goals from any position on the field , was as hard as nails, but seemed about 30 years of age in his demeanour. A born leader, if ever there was one. But one thing stuck out about Jonny, away from the Rugby field he was a really smashing unassuming guy, who, even though I was ######, still made a mate of me.

I lost touch with him after 84. When he became advisor to Rovers in 2008, we crossed paths. I said, ' Jon, you probably won't remember me but well done in all your achievements"' as obviously he'd been involved with Saints and GB.

He turned around and said " Thank you very much, you're Andy from college all them years ago".

That's summed up the lad for me, legend. I just wished he'd have played for his home team in his prime.

#107 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Three brothers who upheld the finest traditions of Featherstone rugby in the 1940s and 50s.....

http://marklaspalmas...ant-nelson.html

Posted ImagePosted Image

A Fev Blog

#108 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

Three brothers who upheld the finest traditions of Featherstone rugby in the 1940s and 50s.....

http://marklaspalmas...ant-nelson.html

Posted ImagePosted Image

There Dad, my Grandad, played for Hull K R during his professional career, but his career was cut short after breaking a leg.
Im Fev and im proud

#109 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Nice one Cyril. And his brother. And his son......

http://marklaspalmas...-and-brian.html

Posted ImagePosted Image

A Fev Blog

#110 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Im wrapping up my Running In The family series now, but there's still plenty more names out there........

http://marklaspalmas.blogspot.com.es/

Edited by marklaspalmas, 22 March 2013 - 10:44 AM.

A Fev Blog

#111 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

More names to conjure with from the Running In the Family series. If you can help with info, I'd be happy to hear from you.....

A Fev Blog

#112 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Mark,
One person that might have slipped under your radar from a family already mentioned, was Trevor Bailey, the brother of Tommy Smales (loose forward). I don't think Trevor played professionally due to a serious knee injury with Rovers U17's in 1967, I was there when he did it. He was a brilliant back-rower and tactition, with a similar style to Keith Bell, and his knowledge of the game was second to none. Trevor played alongside Phil Cookson, Billy Harris and Barry Kear in one of the best packs the U17's ever had.
Trevor was undeterred by his dodgy knee and made his name as a top amateur coach, until he became 1st team coach of Wakefield in the mid-80's, a very rare event for someone who never played professionally

#113 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

Mark,
One person that might have slipped under your radar from a family already mentioned, was Trevor Bailey, the brother of Tommy Smales (loose forward). I don't think Trevor played professionally due to a serious knee injury with Rovers U17's in 1967, I was there when he did it. He was a brilliant back-rower and tactition, with a similar style to Keith Bell, and his knowledge of the game was second to none. Trevor played alongside Phil Cookson, Billy Harris and Barry Kear in one of the best packs the U17's ever had.
Trevor was undeterred by his dodgy knee and made his name as a top amateur coach, until he became 1st team coach of Wakefield in the mid-80's, a very rare event for someone who never played professionally

Cheers Steve. Not the father of Howard Bailey, or even Andy Bailey by any chance?

A Fev Blog

#114 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

Some more 'hidden connections' in the Running In The Family series.

Steve, I bet you didn't know that Frank Hemingway............ ;)

A Fev Blog

#115 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

Cheers Steve. Not the father of Howard Bailey, or even Andy Bailey by any chance?

Not sure Mark, Terry Mullaney might know, he was a big mate of Trevor in our youth and went to Normanton Grammar School with him. I don't see much of Trevor these days, but his elder sister Ursula goes to the same church as me. I'll ask her when I see her.

#116 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

is this the same trevor bailey who used to run the disco's in the old rovers where the car parks are now and did't it change its name to the posh penquin ???

#117 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Monk, used to be a reasonable amateur player with Jubilee ARLFC. What I remember most about him was that he used to bring his Alsatian to the Rovers games. I also remember being stood near him and his dog in Jan 83, well before the cup campaign, I overheard him say to his mate, that he was convinced that Rovers would win the cup that year, despite their lowly league position at the time he was saying it. I don't know whether or not he followed his hunch and had a bet but He would have won a tidy sum. I think that we were at least 100-1 at one bit, antepost.

you were 150/1 antepost as after the final going round london , met up with quite a few fev fans who had a nice touch at 150/1 and were buying everybody in the pub drinks
Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#118 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Some more 'hidden connections' in the Running In The Family series.

Steve, I bet you didn't know that Frank Hemingway............ ;)

Mark, I bet that you didn't know that besides Tommy Smales (scrum-half) and Jackie Fennell being brothers-in-law, so was Ron Bradley to them both.
Ron played for Rovers in the 50's so not many will remember him.

#119 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Mark, I bet that you didn't know that besides Tommy Smales (scrum-half) and Jackie Fennell being brothers-in-law, so was Ron Bradley to them both.
Ron played for Rovers in the 50's so not many will remember him.

NO, I didn't know that. Funny you should mention Ron as he's in the very last Running In The Family post, due this weekend. It's all the loose ends and unknown possibilities. Ron may be related to Bill Bradley who played back in the 20s.

A Fev Blog

#120 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

More names for Running In The Family. If you can help me out, please let me know.......

A Fev Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users