TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

RUNNING IN THE FAMILY.

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#141 dobber

dobber
  • Coach
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

I remember scrum half, Steve Barker, I'm sure he was a Pontefract lad but not related to the Featherstone family I don't think. Clever half back who didn't quite break into regular first team football. Don't think Geoff and Peter Clarkson are related either. Pete's son plays second row for the Rhinos first team squad on a regular basis.

Steve Barker, is from castleford & was signed from cas u18s, players like Barry Johnson, Bob Beardsmore, Gary Hyde & Gary Price in the same team. Signed for Fev around 1978. Never played any amateur Rugby.

#142 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

Just when you thought the thread had come to an end, I could do with a bit more info. I was in the loft the other evening and I found an old programme. It was the last ever top division game that Rovers were in v Oldham in April 95. I don't usually buy programme's but I remember buying this as it was such a poignant occasion.

I noticed in the team line ups on the programme, that Rovers had a number 7 listed as Alex Thompson. Me with the great memory, not, had totally forgotten about this bloke. He must have been Rovers' last debutante either in that game or one of the games immediately before, in the top division. Can anyone, Mark, Mo, Terry, Dobber, Jimmy, Steve et al remember this guy? And would be able to give any info about him. And as a long shot was he related to the great Jimmy Thompson? I think Jimmy came from Knottingley originally but I have no recollection of Alex,I obviously, wrongly assumedTubby would have played his last game that day at scrum half.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 27 April 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#143 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

Just when you thought the thread had come to an end, I could do with a bit more info. I was in the loft the other evening and I found an old programme. It was the last ever top division game that Rovers were in v Oldham in April 95. I don't usually buy programme's but I remember buying this as it was such a poignant occasion.
I noticed in the team line ups on the programme, that Rovers had a number 7 listed as Alex Thompson. Me with the great memory, not, had totally forgotten about this bloke. He must have been Rovers' last debutante either in that game or one of the games immediately before, in the top division. Can anyone, Mark, Mo, Terry, Dobber, Jimmy, Steve et al remember this guy? And would be able to give any info about him. And as a long shot was he related to the great Jimmy Thompson? I think Jimmy came from Knottingley originally but I have no recollection of Alex,I obviously, wrongly assumedTubby would have played his last game that day at scrum half.

I remember Alex Thompson, he lived down Avon Walk in Fev when he played at Fev, I do believe he then went on to play at Sheffield Eagles. No relation to Jimmy, funnily enough we had a conversation about Alex on Facebook the other week, then lo and behold I bumped into his Dad in Station Lane and I hadn't seen him for years. One of Alex's claims to fame when he was at Fev, was that he broke through a line of defenders and ran down the pitch at Fev and all his wedding tackle fell out of his shorts, it was there on the video tape for all to see. I think Alex will have been about 20 in 1995.

Edited by Maureen T-k, 27 April 2013 - 11:11 PM.

Im Fev and im proud

#144 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

Thanks Maureen.

#145 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Thanks Maureen.

No problems Andrew, that's all I can think of off top of my head for now
Im Fev and im proud

#146 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

I remember Alex Thompson, he lived down Avon Walk in Fev when he played at Fev, I do believe he then went on to play at Sheffield Eagles. No relation to Jimmy, funnily enough we had a conversation about Alex on Facebook the other week, then lo and behold I bumped into his Dad in Station Lane and I hadn't seen him for years. One of Alex's claims to fame when he was at Fev, was that he broke through a line of defenders and ran down the pitch at Fev and all his wedding tackle fell out of his shorts, it was there on the video tape for all to see. I think Alex will have been about 20 in 1995.

I remember him vaguely. Looking him up, he only played four first team matches. I do remember him going elsewhere, but Im not sure about the Sheffield connection. Eagles had a player called Alex Thompson about that time, but he was a prop I think.

#147 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

Steve Barker, is from castleford & was signed from cas u18s, players like Barry Johnson, Bob Beardsmore, Gary Hyde & Gary Price in the same team. Signed for Fev around 1978. Never played any amateur Rugby.

I earlier thought that Steve Barker had played for Jubilee, it was actually another Rovers Barker, Pete Barker that played for Jubilee.

#148 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Steve only ever played 15 games for Rovers first team. I know he was in the A team for a couple of seasons, did he not play anywhere after?

#149 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

Mark, he left Rovers for Hunslet.

#150 dobber

dobber
  • Coach
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

Steve only ever played 15 games for Rovers first team. I know he was in the A team for a couple of seasons, did he not play anywhere after?

Was Better known as Billy, nothing to do with Rugby but he worked at Glasshoughton Colliery & moved to the selby coalfield as a Deputy. where he works now who knows ?.

#151 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

Just to keep the embers burning......I remember a season where two blokes played and had the same surname, one might not have been british I'm not sure. Glen Booth and Craig Booth, I think it was the 91/92 relegation season. A lot of people will know the facts on these two, anyone fill in the gaps?

#152 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

Just to keep the embers burning......I remember a season where two blokes played and had the same surname, one might not have been british I'm not sure. Glen Booth and Craig Booth, I think it was the 91/92 relegation season. A lot of people will know the facts on these two, anyone fill in the gaps?

Both from Fev Andrew, was you thinking of Glenn Bell, who was not British???
Im Fev and im proud

#153 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

yes your right both fev lads think glen boomer booth played with the jube and is craig the son of the late walt booth

#154 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

Both from Fev Andrew, was you thinking of Glenn Bell, who was not British???

Yes it was Mo, you're correct, Glen Bell who was New Zealander, he incidentally was the cousin of Dean and Ian Bell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users