Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where's Gav?

Feeder clubs

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#1 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Still convinced we're not going down the path of feeder clubs then Gav?

http://www.widnesvik...le.php?id=10314

"Widnes Vikings today announces the majority of its first team squad have been dual registered with our partner-club, Workington Town."

#2 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

I think we'll see now just how well - or not - this works.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#3 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Still convinced we're not going down the path of feeder clubs then Gav?

http://www.widnesvik...le.php?id=10314

"Widnes Vikings today announces the majority of its first team squad have been dual registered with our partner-club, Workington Town."

I'm here. And yes. They can still only play up to 5 at a time. They still need their own squad of Workington players.
Posted Image

#4 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

I'm here. And yes. They can still only play up to 5 at a time. They still need their own squad of Workington players.

Five this year Gav! Do you really think it will stay at that?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#5 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

playing 5 at a time or not.... this looks and smells like a feeder club system to me! Absolutely bloody ridiculous.
Do away with the 23's and get a load of fringe players....

Another right load of crapola from the RFL.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#6 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

But they don't need a full squad anymore as there are 5 Widnes players available every week - not just 5 named DRs.

#7 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

As I just posted in the main forum, what happens if Workington have a key game in the bid to syat up/make the play-offs etc and Widnes don't have a game or a fixture that won't impact on their own league position. Could we see 5 of Widnes's top players suddenly turning out for Workington?

If we must have DR, pick your 5 players and that's your lot. No swapping and changing.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#8 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

As I just posted in the main forum, what happens if Workington have a key game in the bid to syat up/make the play-offs etc and Widnes don't have a game or a fixture that won't impact on their own league position. Could we see 5 of Widnes's top players suddenly turning out for Workington?

If we must have DR, pick your 5 players and that's your lot. No swapping and changing.

I don't agree with DR at all Gaz, but your suggestion makes much more sense than registering the whole 1st team squad.
Bloody ridiculous.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#9 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I believe 5 players only was how it was 'sold' originally but as many pointed out at the time there was no 'official' statement from the RFL on the actual rules. Many saw this coming at the time.

Unfortunately it'll be too late before the likes of Gav wake up to what's actually happening.

#10 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

So if (say) Gareth Hock picks up a knock and needs a runout on his return from injury, he can pitch up for Workington in a Championship match?

#11 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

So if (say) Gareth Hock picks up a knock and needs a runout on his return from injury, he can pitch up for Workington in a Championship match?

Provided he's been DR'd

#12 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

So glad we didn't entertain the idea. It looks like the champ is now feeder club galore. Oh well like I said before if there isn't a York , hunslet etc in 5 years time they only have themselves to blame there won't be any sympathy from me and I won't be putting money in a bucket to save a feeder club that's for sure.

Edited by thundergaz, 25 January 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#13 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Can't wait till the rump end of the season now - just imagine the excitement of a potential St Helens reserves v Widnes reserves clash to avoid relegation from the Championship/clinch the last play off spot :blink:

#14 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

So now in theory the team that wins the League and GF can't say really they won it properly because if say we play Workington or whoever one week and they only have young uns DR and the next week fax play them and they have 5 Widnes first teams players in the squad and say we win the league by that one game I would agree we haven't won it fair and square. This is getting beyond a joke now a team stays up because they have better DR players than another team not because they have fought and recruited well to stay up. The RFL are making our sport a circus act.

Edited by thundergaz, 25 January 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#15 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Underneath all this outrage, let's not forget that the only difference to the loan system we've had for donkeys' years is the fact that these players don't need to be at the borrowing club for a minimum of a month.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#16 philcow

philcow
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

This game is getting to be a joke i am getting more ###### off by the minute , i think its only deep seated memories why i still watch my beloved rovers.

#17 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

So glad we didn't entertain the idea.

Featherstone would never have entertained the idea would they.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#18 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

This game is getting to be a joke i am getting more ###### off by the minute , i think its only deep seated memories why i still watch my beloved rovers.

I totally agree. It's all about protecting and helping the SL clubs always as been and always will be. Like you say if it wasn't for rovers I would walk away from the game and never give it a second look. The RFL are killing a great sport slowly but surely.

#19 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Featherstone would never have entertained the idea would they.

No only teams that wear tinted glasses and have their eyes shut would entertain such a foolish idea.

#20 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

I feel so sorry for barrow in all of this as they will probably go down now with them not being partnered and that's a real shame. A club trying to move up and build on its own now becomes virtually doomed before it can gain its feet. I just hope they stay up and if we so happen to walk this league which I very much doubt I hope we throw them 2 games to help them stay up and send 2 feeder clubs to deaths door.