Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where's Gav?

Feeder clubs

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#201 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

http://www.hunsletha...n-dual-reg.html I would like somebody to explain to me how this is not another Feeder club? Leeds Rhinos players coming back from injury playing for Hunslet is a feeder system, not the Dual Regs that the RFL and SL clubs and fans have made out. Any thoughts Gav on the feeder system which is clearly in place at a number of clubs now?

Whats the definition of a 'feeder club', can you please explain that?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#202 ProBono

ProBono
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Definition: In sports, a farm team, farm system, feeder team or nursery club, is generally a team or club whose role is to provide experience and training for young players or players returning from injury from a club in a higher division, with an agreement that any successful players can return to the higher level club at a given point. This system can be implemented in many ways, both formally and informally.

#203 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

Reminds me of my National Service . Swinton are now a transit camp. No regulars there just different faces in and out.

Only need to look on the Swinton forum to see the effect it's having on some of the fans.
From a very good source, Mr Rimmer is very concerned about the level of unrest it's all causing !! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#204 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Official RFL press release reveals truth of the purpose of DR:

A League spokesman said: “The RFL has recently lobbied the UKBA for a change to the rules which prevent players on tier-two visas playing for a second club on a short-term arrangement.
“This follows on from changes to the Super League Academy structure, which from 2013 is an exclusively Under-19s competition, an arrangement that means open-age overseas tier-two visa players returning from injury cannot gain match fitness on short-term loans or dual registrations.
“Dialogue with the UKBA continues but the UKBA have confirmed that, until any change in circumstance is agreed, under existing provisions no player on a tier two visa can be dual registered.”

#205 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,517 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

This system does not make Championship clubs into feeder clubs.

It makes them into SL A teams.

Worse.

A Fev Blog

#206 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Official RFL press release reveals truth of the purpose of DR:

A League spokesman said: “The RFL has recently lobbied the UKBA for a change to the rules which prevent players on tier-two visas playing for a second club on a short-term arrangement.
“This follows on from changes to the Super League Academy structure, which from 2013 is an exclusively Under-19s competition, an arrangement that means open-age overseas tier-two visa players returning from injury cannot gain match fitness on short-term loans or dual registrations.
“Dialogue with the UKBA continues but the UKBA have confirmed that, until any change in circumstance is agreed, under existing provisions no player on a tier two visa can be dual registered.”

Have they thought about having Reserve Grade teams ? :mellow:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#207 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

{Gav Wilson, on 25 January 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:
The best ones will still play. Its up to the every player (club or DR) to prove they a worth a shirt, both in ability and attitude.}

Sorry Gav but it will eventually be the Hull coach who picks your team. That's what happens with reserve teams and that's why some clubs have DR'd their entire squads with CC clubs. That's what's down the track for you, sorry to say.

And it has already started at Swinton, see link HERE
I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#208 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

He is no longer a Warrington employee, but I know the point you're trying to make.
Posted Image

#209 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

He is no longer a Warrington employee, but I know the point you're trying to make.

I understand that technically he is a Swinton employee, as are the lads that have signed on from the wire academy previously. However as the Wire academy coach for the last 10+ years and having a significant number of ex-wire lads on Swinton’s books plus Wire DR players I would question where everyone’s loyalties lie especially Gary Chambers.

I think all in all it is a very sad day for Swinton, one of our games great teams, no home of their own, average gates of around 550 and now potentially players and a coach who’s loyalties may lie with another club. It is not to say these people will not be trying their hardest while they are at Swinton, since I am sure they will.
I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#210 firebasher

firebasher
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

Think we saw the trailer with Bramley !!

#211 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

It won't just stop at swinton though will it? It will decimate half the championship in the end I bet.i just feel sorry for the swinton fans who didn't have a say in any of this but they should of done what we did when the merger came our way.

Edited by thundergaz, 20 March 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#212 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

i sympathise with these clubs, i really do. i don't blame them for this situation, i blame the rfl. the lower leagues have been dying a slow death and the rfl have stood by and done nothing but look after s/l. as i said before, if this DR had come along when we were at a low ebb, i'm sure we would have jumped at it. woods and co have a lot to answer for. swinton are now swinton in name only.

Edited by oldrover, 20 March 2013 - 01:43 PM.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#213 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

i sympathise with these clubs, i really do. i don't blame them for this situation, i blame the rfl. the lower leagues have been dying a slow death and the rfl have stood by and done nothing but look after s/l. as i said before, if this DR had come along when we were at a loe ebb, i'm sure we would have jumped at it. woods and co have a lot to answer for. swinton are now swinton in name only.

To be fair OR our BOD would have probably jumped at the chance like you say but would us fans of let it happen? I doubt it very much.

#214 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

To be fair OR our BOD would have probably jumped at the chance like you say but would us fans of let it happen? I doubt it very much.

how could we have stopped it Gaz
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#215 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

how could we have stopped it Gaz

The same way as the merger with c@s and wakey or with our feet because when we were poor it was only us die hards who went week in week out OR. But like you say maybe that won't of worked who knows but thank god were not in that situation.

#216 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

i sympathise with these clubs, i really do. i don't blame them for this situation, i blame the rfl. the lower leagues have been dying a slow death and the rfl have stood by and done nothing but look after s/l. as i said before, if this DR had come along when we were at a low ebb, i'm sure we would have jumped at it. woods and co have a lot to answer for. swinton are now swinton in name only.

The RFL didn't want this to happen, they advised against it. Blame the Superleague clubs who voted for it anyway.

Swinton have been Swinton in name only for years.
Posted Image

#217 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

The RFL didn't want this to happen, they advised against it. Blame the Superleague clubs who voted for it anyway.

Swinton have been Swinton in name only for years.

No, equally to blame are the Championship clubs falling over themselves to get into bed with a SL club and the RFL for creating a 'league of death' in Championship 1.

#218 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

No, equally to blame are the Championship clubs falling over themselves to get into bed with a SL club and the RFL for creating a 'league of death' in Championship 1.

if your halfway down a cliff, hanging by your fingertips, and someone throws you a greasy rope, what do you do?
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#219 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

So now in theory the team that wins the League and GF can't say really they won it properly because if say we play Workington or whoever one week and they only have young uns DR and the next week fax play them and they have 5 Widnes first teams players in the squad and say we win the league by that one game I would agree we haven't won it fair and square. This is getting beyond a joke now a team stays up because they have better DR players than another team not because they have fought and recruited well to stay up. The RFL are making our sport a circus act.

How do you mean "making"?.

#220 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

if your halfway down a cliff, hanging by your fingertips, and someone throws you a greasy rope, what do you do?

Just pointing out that Gav's wrong blaming the SL clubs alone.

And even if you're holding on by your fingertips there's always a chance you'll survive; grab the greasy rope and down to (probable) oblivion is the only way you're going......