TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Where's Gav?

Feeder clubs

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#41 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Flattered you titled this thread after me by the way...

So come on then Gav, do you think it will be five players or will the limit be relaxed over the coming seasons?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#42 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Question for you Gaz, and any other Fev fan for that matter - What would you do in the position of Workington (and Whitehaven)? We are out on a limb in west Cumbria and believe it or not we found it easier to get players from Australia and NZ than Yorkshire and Lancashire until the UKBA stopped all that. Now it is even more difficult for us. We can't just pop down the road and pick up a player or two from the M62 corridor as they don't like the travelling.

Last year in Championship 1, Town used a large majority of local players with 3 or 4 travellers. Whitehaven had upwards of 10 players travelling together from Lancashire with half their team training in Cumbria and the other half in Lancashire. The young Cumbrian lads, on their own, will not make us competitive in the Championship (not right away any ways) and it costs us to get players to travel.

We did have 4 dual registered players last season but we were at the mercy of their SL clubs as to whether they would be allowed to play or not and if you all recall we actually lost at Gateshead in a midweek match when we had 9 players out injured or suspended and none of the DR players available. We played a 17 year old on one wing, brought 2 players out of retirement to play, played a forward at stand-off and put two of the injured players down as substitutes so that we didn't get a fine for not naming 17 players. That should not happen this season providing Widnes don't have a glut of injuries or suspensions.

At the end of the day we can only play 5 players from Widnes in any one game and those 5 will not be from the first team for that week. Knowing our club coaches and our players I think you will find that there will be many occasions when we don't use all the 5 players. We have not been able to play a pre-season game this year because from our squad of 24 we have had 9 out either recuperating from operations in December or suspended. We took the fit players to Widnes for a game and played 2 triallists and our team conditioner played on the wing.

I think you need to start looking at the bigger picture for teams like us outside of the M62 corridor we already have a big disadvantage with travelling distances every other week that your clubs only have to do twice per season. Let's see how it works it out.

Incidentally, I am not a lover of the system and wish it hadn't been introduced but we were one of the last to make a link up more in fear of being left behind and returning to Championship 1.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#43 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Keith like I said before I understand why teams have done it. But on your theory of Cumbria having to why hasn't barrow folded too then and linked up?

#44 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,383 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

So to sum up: You have boycotted all Challenge Cup Finals and Internationals since 2002, and gauged the thoughts of the SuperLeague clubs themselves, from having a barney with a few tight Bradford fans?

Thats some mightily impressive stubborness.

some pretty impressive selective quoting from you too there gav! :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#45 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Question for you Gaz, and any other Fev fan for that matter - What would you do in the position of Workington (and Whitehaven)? We are out on a limb in west Cumbria and believe it or not we found it easier to get players from Australia and NZ than Yorkshire and Lancashire until the UKBA stopped all that. Now it is even more difficult for us. We can't just pop down the road and pick up a player or two from the M62 corridor as they don't like the travelling.

Last year in Championship 1, Town used a large majority of local players with 3 or 4 travellers. Whitehaven had upwards of 10 players travelling together from Lancashire with half their team training in Cumbria and the other half in Lancashire. The young Cumbrian lads, on their own, will not make us competitive in the Championship (not right away any ways) and it costs us to get players to travel.

We did have 4 dual registered players last season but we were at the mercy of their SL clubs as to whether they would be allowed to play or not and if you all recall we actually lost at Gateshead in a midweek match when we had 9 players out injured or suspended and none of the DR players available. We played a 17 year old on one wing, brought 2 players out of retirement to play, played a forward at stand-off and put two of the injured players down as substitutes so that we didn't get a fine for not naming 17 players. That should not happen this season providing Widnes don't have a glut of injuries or suspensions.

At the end of the day we can only play 5 players from Widnes in any one game and those 5 will not be from the first team for that week. Knowing our club coaches and our players I think you will find that there will be many occasions when we don't use all the 5 players. We have not been able to play a pre-season game this year because from our squad of 24 we have had 9 out either recuperating from operations in December or suspended. We took the fit players to Widnes for a game and played 2 triallists and our team conditioner played on the wing.

I think you need to start looking at the bigger picture for teams like us outside of the M62 corridor we already have a big disadvantage with travelling distances every other week that your clubs only have to do twice per season. Let's see how it works it out.

Incidentally, I am not a lover of the system and wish it hadn't been introduced but we were one of the last to make a link up more in fear of being left behind and returning to Championship 1.

But if your coaches won't use five players what's in it for Widnes??? Can somebody please answer the question?

#46 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Keith like I said before I understand why teams have done it. But on your theory of Cumbria having to why hasn't barrow folded too then and linked up?

Folded? Your use of this word assumes that clubs had no choice. You really must stop playing the role of moral arbitre of all that happens in Rugby League. I think that Featherstone would certainly do whatever they consider best for them, which essentially is what all the other clubs are doing.

#47 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I can't speak for Barrow but they are certainly 60 miles closer to Lancashire than we are in west Cumbria and last season they used dual reg players from Wigan and Warrington and loanees. I think that they will probably use loanees again this year later in to the season, we shall see!!!

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#48 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

So come on then Gav, do you think it will be five players or will the limit be relaxed over the coming seasons?

Where's Gav???

#49 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

I can't speak for Barrow but they are certainly 60 miles closer to Lancashire than we are in west Cumbria.....

Closer ? They're in Lancashire ... how much closer can you get ? ;)
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#50 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

But if your coaches won't use five players what's in it for Widnes??? Can somebody please answer the question?

Terry, I don't know the full details of our link up same as all the fans of other link ups because we don't get told the full picture but re. your question of what the SL clubs get out of it I think the answer is £100k per season, or at least that is the figure that was first mentioned when they first talked of doing away with the Under 18's and Under 20's.

#51 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Closer ? They're in Lancashire ... how much closer can you get ? ;)

Ha ha, some still wish they were.

#52 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Personally, I don't think we should worry too much about DR. I don't think it works all that well for the junior partner so I'll cheerfully allow them to get on with it. B)
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#53 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

I've not got a clue. I don't have a crystal ball.
Posted Image

#54 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Would there be a number that would be too many, in your opinion? If so, how many?

#55 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Where's Gav???

I'm quite busy doing other stuff sometimes you know...

...As it happens I was trying to convince the Mrs. to go to the chippy for me.
Posted Image

#56 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Would there be a number that would be too many, in your opinion? If so, how many?

Posted Image

#57 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Personally, I don't think we should worry too much about DR. I don't think it works all that well for the junior partner so I'll cheerfully allow them to get on with it. B)

Griff it won't effect the top 5 IMO as the top 5 have enough fire power to see this off. But it's more about where the RFL are going to go with this in the future. We know they don't care about anything or anyone outside of the SL. So where's it going to lead? All these link up clubs going out of business etc. I know that's a massive assumption but I don't trust the RFL or the SL clubs both will do what's best for them and they won't give one hoot for the little partner in all this.

#58 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

:D :D :D

#59 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

What's your gut feeling then Gav?

#60 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Terry, I don't know the full details of our link up same as all the fans of other link ups because we don't get told the full picture but re. your question of what the SL clubs get out of it I think the answer is £100k per season, or at least that is the figure that was first mentioned when they first talked of doing away with the Under 18's and Under 20's.

Surely they get that by replacing 18s & 20s with a single U19 not from having the partnership, don't they?

Fwiw, I don't think the Widnes/Town arrangement will be greatly different from the vast majority of others in practice. Whether they say so openly or not in most cases the entirety of a SL club's squad will available for DR if they are not being selected for their 1st team, they have nowhere else to play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users