Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where's Gav?

Feeder clubs

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#81 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

During this discussion, I have not heard one word said about the fact that the DR scheme impacts upon the club players. These are the stalwarts who have toiled on behalf of their respective clubs, only to be kicked into touch due to the appearance of these journeymen. It is a disgusting situation.

#82 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

During this discussion, I have not heard one word said about the fact that the DR scheme impacts upon the club players. These are the stalwarts who have toiled on behalf of their respective clubs, only to be kicked into touch due to the appearance of these journeymen. It is a disgusting situation.

The best ones will still play. Its up to the every player (club or DR) to prove they a worth a shirt, both in ability and attitude.
Posted Image

#83 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

I have said it on other forums Bob but last year Town had 4 dual registered players who fitted in to our team very well and indeed two of them have now signed on for Town on 2 year contracts. They get on great with our local lads. This year if we want we can have 5 players but knowing our club coaches and players the times when we play 5 dual reg players will be few and far between. It didn't happen last year on more than one occasion that I can think of and that was due to injuries or suspension to our own players. I just think people are looking for reasons to support their club not going down this route now. As I have also said I am not in favour of this system but once Leeds and Hunslet set the ball rolling then it was obvious that many others would follow. After spending the last 10 years in Championship 1 we didn't want to be left behind again on a matter of principle.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#84 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

To expand on this issue, Its probably inevitable that a "dual registration" system will come in place whereby Championship clubs will be able to use community/amateur clubs to play there fringe players what would views be on that? Clubs could sign players young expose them to the training and habits of the pro game and have them playing regular rugby in a competition like the National conference. Would fans of clubs be up in arms at that happening?

Rugby league is ruled by self interest and never the bigger picture and its the dog eat dog nature of the game that holds it back
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#85 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

Terry I would never knock anything our BOD do because they have/ are working miracles at our club. I just think Toulouse will take that spot in 2015 or another expansion team.

Can I ask... how old are you?

Cummins Out.

#86 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

To expand on this issue, Its probably inevitable that a "dual registration" system will come in place whereby Championship clubs will be able to use community/amateur clubs to play there fringe players what would views be on that? Clubs could sign players young expose them to the training and habits of the pro game and have them playing regular rugby in a competition like the National conference. Would fans of clubs be up in arms at that happening?

Rugby league is ruled by self interest and never the bigger picture and its the dog eat dog nature of the game that holds it back

well i wouldn't be happy. the game is contracting, fewer and fewer opportunities for young players, and i mean all players not just the elite.when our game is held up in comparison with whats going on in australia, its in decline. the games rulers are running around like headless chickens with no forward thinking at all.i don't think they realise how dissatisfied some supporters are with the game at this moment in time.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#87 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Can I ask... how old are you?

Too old 😄😄😄

#88 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

I wish you would shut up with this barrow- Lancashire s**t its getting boring, the only thing it is doing is showing how old you are! get over it man. ;)

If Barrow's in Cumbria, Featherstone must be in Wakefield.

I don't think so. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#89 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

The best ones will still play. Its up to the every player (club or DR) to prove they a worth a shirt, both in ability and attitude.

Sorry Gav but it will eventually be the Hull coach who picks your team. That's what happens with reserve teams and that's why some clubs have DR'd their entire squads with CC clubs. That's what's down the track for you, sorry to say.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#90 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

well i wouldn't be happy. the game is contracting, fewer and fewer opportunities for young players......

The game's played over a bigger area than ever. There are more and better opportunities for young players. How many players were full time 40 years ago ?

True - there are less players playing at A team level than there were forty - or even twenty - years ago but a lot of those players never made it, never took those opportunities.

#91 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

The game's played over a bigger area than ever. There are more and better opportunities for young players. How many players were full time 40 years ago ?

True - there are less players playing at A team level than there were forty - or even twenty - years ago but a lot of those players never made it, never took those opportunities.

I think he ment with these link ups Richie. I think he was referring to a DR player will get a game before bringing the young ones through. The youngster will have to be a bit special now to get into a link up teams squad. Also I have a feeling that these link up clubs may scrap a lot of their youth set ups with this in place. ( if this isn't what you ment oldrover I apologise )

Edited by thundergaz, 26 January 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#92 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

I think he ment with these link ups Richie. I think he was referring to a DR player will get a game before bringing the young ones through. The youngster will have to be a bit special now to get into a link up teams squad. Also I have a feeling that these link up clubs may scrap a lot of their youth set ups with this in place. ( if this isn't what you ment oldrover I apologise )

No point in just making up the numbers, Gaz. The clubs only require a certain new influx of players and a lot fall by the wayside.

I'm not into dual reg because I think it goes far too far down the cost saving road but it's a fact that most A team (or whatever it's the fashion to call it) players never play first team. Over the years, Sheffield have had over three times as many players play A team than first team.

#93 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

I have never forgotten the Leeds and Bramley link up. It's just about the same agreement as Workington and Widnes have and look what happened to Bramley.

#94 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

if you read my post, i said all players not just the elite. full time? whats that got to do with it. apart from catalans you still have the same clubs that were there before superleague. if you look around this hotbed of rugby league, (fev, cas wakey) the number of teams in all age groups are diminishing, the number of players participating are diminishing. a couple of years ago, i was asked to video 2 cas and district cup finals at wheldon road. one final was between lock lane and donny toll bar. toll bar were getting absolutely thrashed and ref blew up early. when i asked how toll bar had managed to get to the final, i was told there were only 3 teams, donny got a bye straight to the final and lock lane beat cas panthers. what a sad state of affairs. i also have regular contact with a couple of superleague scouts who work in this area and they tell me there is a real dearth of quality coming through and a lack of numbers, leaving the superleague clubs to scrap over fewer and fewer players. it's alright looking on the bright side all the time, but we ignore these warning signs at our peril.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#95 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

No point in just making up the numbers, Gaz. The clubs only require a certain new influx of players and a lot fall by the wayside.

I'm not into dual reg because I think it goes far too far down the cost saving road but it's a fact that most A team (or whatever it's the fashion to call it) players never play first team. Over the years, Sheffield have had over three times as many players play A team than first team.

same can be said for scholarship kids, should we scrap scholarships.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#96 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

same can be said for scholarship kids, should we scrap scholarships.

Costs are different.

It's OK saying money's not important the game's the thing but, somewhere along the line, someone has to come up with it. Even at amateur level.

I'd love the game to be awash with money, with thousands playing and watching every week. But it isn't like that.

#97 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

if you read my post, i said all players not just the elite. full time? whats that got to do with it.

It's an opportunity players of my youth never had. Even the elite.

#98 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

It's an opportunity players of my youth never had. Even the elite.

even so, there was never a shortage of players, and clubs even managed to bring in players from overseas. we had under 17s on tv on a sunday. could full time players be part of the problem.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#99 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

even so, there was never a shortage of players, and clubs even managed to bring in players from overseas. we had under 17s on tv on a sunday. could full time players be part of the problem.

Maybe they are. Maybe full time players get paid too much. Maybe a player on £70000 would still play for £50000 or £40000. Multiply that saving across the squad and - hey presto - maybe enough money to run some junior teams.

But I don't have enough solid facts to go further than "maybe ....."

#100 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Still a great disadvantage, Gav. SL players drafted in, fitter, sharper and better prepared than the bulk of the Championship lads through no fault of their own. Send the Aussies back and make room for the up and coming players. We are going to finish up with more players than can be accommodated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users