Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where's Gav?

Feeder clubs

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#121 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Gav Goebbels in Positive Propaganda! Seriously Gav all you do is just do PR releases from the RFL and they can do no wrong. A decent journo should be questioning things and getting different viewpoints, not just one that the RFL and SL clubs spew out and deny things like feeder clubs. The game is at a cross roads and personally I cant see it doing things right due to the selfish interest of clubs and the poor leadership at RFL. Each year we see things change and its getting more and more like Feeder clubs. Workington, Dewsbury and York have just pushed it as far as you can before they are feeder clubs. The Workington or York coach may want to pick his side but if Hull or Widnes tell his club who pay him they want this player in, he will be forced to accept. I can see a number of clubs losing their identity. For me York, Workington and Dewsbury are well down that road. If Fax did this I would stop sponsoring players etc. It wouldn't be my club that I would be proud of.

#122 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Gav is just full of ######. HTH

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#123 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Stop cherry picking posts and read everyone's you might learn something, then again.............

I'd be fascinated to hear your answer too.

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep, 26 January 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#124 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

cherry picking or not, its a fair question don't ya think?

Robin it is a post made by a haven fan looking for anything to have a dig because it is Town. The local press this week had a quote from the Haven coach saying that he would have the pick of all the players not involved in the Saints first team squad of any particular week. Does that not sound similar to what we are doing? I don't seem to be able to get an answer as to whether if Saints wanted say, Roby returning from injury to have 20 or 30 minutes at Haven if Dave Woods would accept that, which is what Haven4ever is saying our coaches would accept.

To be honest I don't think the Widnes/ Town naming full squad is something that anyone expected but there is nothing to stop any clubs from registering players at any time during the season. A team could have 6 registered now but by the end of the season that could be up to 12 or 15. It doesn't say that they ALL will play for the Championship club and I will be disappointed if Town play more than say 2 or 3 at a time not the 5 that is being shouted every week. At this moment in time from our squad of 24 we have 3 suspended and 4 or 5 recuperating from operations in December and so for our first few games we may be glad of 3 or 4 Widnes players to help out. With a full strength squad I wouldn't expect us using any more dual reg players than we did last season. And we don't expect Brown or any other mainstream Widnes players to be playing at Town.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#125 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Gav Goebbels in Positive Propaganda! Seriously Gav all you do is just do PR releases from the RFL and they can do no wrong. A decent journo should be questioning things and getting different viewpoints, not just one that the RFL and SL clubs spew out and deny things like feeder clubs. The game is at a cross roads and personally I cant see it doing things right due to the selfish interest of clubs and the poor leadership at RFL. Each year we see things change and its getting more and more like Feeder clubs. Workington, Dewsbury and York have just pushed it as far as you can before they are feeder clubs. The Workington or York coach may want to pick his side but if Hull or Widnes tell his club who pay him they want this player in, he will be forced to accept. I can see a number of clubs losing their identity. For me York, Workington and Dewsbury are well down that road. If Fax did this I would stop sponsoring players etc. It wouldn't be my club that I would be proud of.

LRL, Workington's coaches are Gary Charlton, son of Paul Charlton, and Martin Oglanby, a former Town player when we won the Second Division Premiership. Both are no nonsense lads who are nobody's fools. I know for a fact that neither would want to be the Town coach if what you say is correct. If the Widnes club expect what you suggest then I would wager the link up will not last very long because it isn't going to happen. Town will use Widnes players to fill gaps due to injuries or suspensions. End of.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#126 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,755 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

LRL, Workington's coaches are Gary Charlton, son of Paul Charlton, and Martin Oglanby, a former Town player when we won the Second Division Premiership. Both are no nonsense lads who are nobody's fools. I know for a fact that neither would want to be the Town coach if what you say is correct. If the Widnes club expect what you suggest then I would wager the link up will not last very long because it isn't going to happen. Town will use Widnes players to fill gaps due to injuries or suspensions. End of.

Keith - if you think that Widnes are just there to do you favours and expect nothing in return, I think you may be surprised. This is a partnership not a donation. They do you a favour, they expect you to do them a favour in return.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#127 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

and what if you were in danger of relegation. or are your coaches unsackable
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#128 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I wonder who will be our feeder club IF we get into SL?

Would it be the Tigers?

What then happens to our A team players

Who would we like to be our feeder club? Sheffield, York or Batley

Someone will be because Red Hall wont be changing their mind any time soon
Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#129 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

Keith - if you think that Widnes are just there to do you favours and expect nothing in return, I think you may be surprised. This is a partnership not a donation. They do you a favour, they expect you to do them a favour in return.

Griff, people are justing looking for "what ifs" and spouting as if these are definite things that are going to happen. Nobody at Town expects to see Kevin Brown or any of several other of Widnes' top players playing for Town. That doesn't stop people asking but "what if". I am not naive enough to not accept that there will be little deals done behind the scenes at ALL the clubs where these links have been formed and I was not in favour of the link ups but they have happened and my club is trying to make the best of it. Out of 30 players in a SL first team squad 20 will be selected in the first team for that week. Of the other 10 some may be injured or suspended or an overseas player or 2 or 3 playing as over age players in the Under 19's, so what sort of selection does that leave us with out of the 30 man squad. Lets just wait and see how it pans out.

#130 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

and what if you were in danger of relegation. or are your coaches unsackable

Meaning what? If we were in danger of relegation we would ask Dennis Betts to let us have his top 5 players whilst he played 5 juniors against Saints or Wigan or Leeds!!!! Yes, I'm being sarcastic but sadly that is what some people are imagining we would be doing.

#131 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Meaning what? If we were in danger of relegation we would ask Dennis Betts to let us have his top 5 players whilst he played 5 juniors against Saints or Wigan or Leeds!!!! Yes, I'm being sarcastic but sadly that is what some people are imagining we would be doing.

Well yes if Widnes had nothing to play for.

And seems I'm behind the times with others already going down the Widnes/Workington route: York, Dewsbury, Whitehaven.

Rest surely to follow totry and stay ahead/keep abreast.

#132 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,755 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Griff, people are justing looking for "what ifs" and spouting as if these are definite things that are going to happen. Nobody at Town expects to see Kevin Brown or any of several other of Widnes' top players playing for Town. That doesn't stop people asking but "what if". I am not naive enough to not accept that there will be little deals done behind the scenes at ALL the clubs where these links have been formed and I was not in favour of the link ups but they have happened and my club is trying to make the best of it. Out of 30 players in a SL first team squad 20 will be selected in the first team for that week. Of the other 10 some may be injured or suspended or an overseas player or 2 or 3 playing as over age players in the Under 19's, so what sort of selection does that leave us with out of the 30 man squad. Lets just wait and see how it pans out.

I'm not looking for "what ifs" at all. I'm not expecting any but fringe players to be sent to Workington. For me it's not a problem - I don't think it works. I'm more than happy for clubs to enter into these deals.

Nevertheless, to say that only Gary Charlton and Martin Oglanby have a say in how these loans go is something I find hard to believe. It would make Workington not just an equal partner but the senior partner.

#133 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

I'm not looking for "what ifs" at all. I'm not expecting any but fringe players to be sent to Workington. For me it's not a problem - I don't think it works. I'm more than happy for clubs to enter into these deals.

Nevertheless, to say that only Gary Charlton and Martin Oglanby have a say in how these loans go is something I find hard to believe. It would make Workington not just an equal partner but the senior partner.

There shouldn't be a senior or junior partner but which club does it affect the most? Which coach's head is on the block depending on results? Of course our coaches are going to have most say on who plays in our team. That doesn't necessarily mean to say that Dennis Betts has no say but the final say should and I have no doubt will be down to the Town coaches.

#134 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,755 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

There shouldn't be a senior or junior partner but which club does it affect the most? Which coach's head is on the block depending on results? Of course our coaches are going to have most say on who plays in our team. That doesn't necessarily mean to say that Dennis Betts has no say but the final say should and I have no doubt will be down to the Town coaches.

Of course, the answer will never be made public. -_-

#135 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Gav is just full of ######. HTH

Lovely stuff.
Posted Image

#136 Paulie

Paulie
  • Coach
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Lovely stuff.

I think the long and the short of it is that you're a young man Gav who hasn't been shafted as many times as most of us old uns on here and i sincerely hope that it remains that way.

#137 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

I think the long and the short of it is that you're a young man Gav who hasn't been shafted as many times as most of us old uns on here and i sincerely hope that it remains that way.

What do you mean by "shafted"?

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#138 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,948 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Behave simon!!!!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#139 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/21211330

Non of you feeder clubs will be getting my money to help these people waste even more money

#140 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/21211330

Non of you feeder clubs will be getting my money to help these people waste even more money

Oh.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users