Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where's Gav?

Feeder clubs

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#161 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

'Cos they were the key players in a team which put 60 on our players last week.

So your best squad for ages is poop then? If these 'fringe' players were so instrumental in the destruction York last week it's still likely to be a long hard seasoneven with them in the side. Let's hope they're commited to the cause eh?

And I see 3 contracted players have decided to leave too. Work commitments of course ;)

#162 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

So your best squad for ages is poop then? If these 'fringe' players were so instrumental in the destruction York last week it's still likely to be a long hard seasoneven with them in the side. Let's hope they're commited to the cause eh?

And I see 3 contracted players have decided to leave too. Work commitments of course ;)

That's the problem with this system les a lot of players will want to leave if they are not getting a game through this system. I fear before the seasons over a lot will leave clubs through out the season and then that's when the system will become 6 DR players can play and so on till the link up clubs are full of them because they won't have many players left.It makes me laugh when you see fans of these clubs hoping a certain player will be playing for their squad this weekend from the SL clubs.

Edited by thundergaz, 31 January 2013 - 09:25 AM.

#163 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

Our "best squad for ages" isn't really saying a lot now is it. I'd say it's the best squad we've had since 2004, now that was a good team. Seem to remember putting the Mighty Fev to the sword 4 times in that season, even though we were in the division below.

And the 3 players who've left haven't trained with us this season and 2 of them have never even donned the shirt, so you can hardly blame DR for that, but I'm sure you'll find a way.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#164 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,906 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

Our "best squad for ages" isn't really saying a lot now is it. I'd say it's the best squad we've had since 2004, now that was a good team. Seem to remember putting the Mighty Fev to the sword 4 times in that season, even though we were in the division below.

And the 3 players who've left haven't trained with us this season and 2 of them have never even donned the shirt, so you can hardly blame DR for that, but I'm sure you'll find a way.

Well you can Gav.
My mate was talking to a prominent player of a CC club who have aligned themselves with a club for a bucket full of DR players.
He suggests that the signed on players are more than dischuffed with the situation. Not knowing if they will be selected or displaced by a DR player. Not knowing if they might play to get a win bonus etc?? That player went on to suggest that at his club at least, it is seriously affecting the morale of the signed on squad from that club.
It doesn't take much more for a player who knows he might be subject to being replaced by a DR player to say "sod it, I've had enough"!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#165 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Well you can Gav.
My mate was talking to a prominent player of a CC club who have aligned themselves with a club for a bucket full of DR players.
He suggests that the signed on players are more than dischuffed with the situation. Not knowing if they will be selected or displaced by a DR player. Not knowing if they might play to get a win bonus etc?? That player went on to suggest that at his club at least, it is seriously affecting the morale of the signed on squad from that club.
It doesn't take much more for a player who knows he might be subject to being replaced by a DR player to say "sod it, I've had enough"!

I've not said that isn't going to happen, in fact I reckon it will, but that has happened to us every year with players leaving as they aren't getting a game - regardless of if its been a DR player who's taken their place. Sadly it's a fact of life when players are on match terms only, I could name 20 players who've left the club after not getting to play. It's just not the case with the 3 players who've left already.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#166 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

well the season is upon us, and we will find out, i still fear the worst.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#167 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

What are you worried about, OR ?

Nobody's tied into this. If it's not working, it'll stop happening.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#168 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Well you can Gav.

Then I would say their attitude is not good enough for this level of rugby.

Nobody's tied into this. If it's not working, it'll stop happening.

Yep, this.
Posted Image

#169 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,906 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Then I would say their attitude is not good enough for this level of rugby.

Fair enough... I wasn't looking for an analysis of suitability - or competence.
I'm just commenting on some of the players at this level, one from your own club, who maybe affected by the concept of Dual Registering players.
Their morale is affected. As will be their performance.
If you thinks that's a manageable risk, fair do's. Not a problem. Thankfully my club hasn't gone down that route.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#170 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

to be honest i'm tired of going over this. we all have our own thoughts. my worry is that the worst case scenario will become reality. best thing now is to wait and see.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#171 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

to be honest i'm tired of going over this. we all have our own thoughts. my worry is that the worst case scenario will become reality. best thing now is to wait and see.

I agree OR but it won't effect us really unless there is no teams to play. Then we have a problem but I know what you mean it's a recipe for disaster but time will tell if me and you are right or if gav and a few more are right.

#172 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

Well you can Gav.

Tommy Haughey said exactly the same things in a YEP interview a couple of years ago.

#173 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

Fair enough... I wasn't looking for an analysis of suitability - or competence.
I'm just commenting on some of the players at this level, one from your own club, who maybe affected by the concept of Dual Registering players.
Their morale is affected. As will be their performance.
If you thinks that's a manageable risk, fair do's. Not a problem. Thankfully my club hasn't gone down that route.

And this is indeed the point. B)
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#174 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Well that didn't take long for clubs to abuse the system.

Paul Wood and 6 other Warrington players in Swinton's squad for Sunday.

So much for my optimism...! <_<
Posted Image

#175 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Well you can Gav.

There is an answer to that Robin. Give those DR players, no doubt on more cash than the regulars, plenty of "hospital" passes. Make them work for a living.

#176 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

I don't like the system, however if we're to have it, there should be an age limit as well as a number limit. If we're going to use this to "develop" youth, then let's at least limit it to young players. :rolleyes:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#177 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Our league is going to become a joke. This totally undermines our league for me. Paul wood and Tyrone mcarthy playing for swinton who next briers and Morley? I'm sure more teams will follow suit over the season. So it definitely looks like Warrington reserves vs Widnes reserves this weekend then. Along with a lot of other SL reserve squads and they wonder why people are not going into grounds to watch teams. Can you imagine if Fev get go the GF against one of these feeder clubs it will be Fev against a SL reserve team or as I'm thinking first team. What a complete joke this is becoming rant over I'm off for a lie down 😃😃😃

#178 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Our league is going to become a joke. This totally undermines our league for me. Paul wood and Tyrone mcarthy playing for swinton who next briers and Morley? I'm sure more teams will follow suit over the season. So it definitely looks like Warrington reserves vs Widnes reserves this weekend then. Along with a lot of other SL reserve squads and they wonder why people are not going into grounds to watch teams. Can you imagine if Fev get go the GF against one of these feeder clubs it will be Fev against a SL reserve team or as I'm thinking first team. What a complete joke this is becoming rant over I'm off for a lie down ������������������

You are there again Gaz with your Widnes Reserves crack!!! Widnes have offered Town the use of THREE players this weekend and at this moment in time according to the Widnes website Town are only using ONE. Look around at other clubs and see how many they are using,

Edited by Keith T, 01 February 2013 - 04:54 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#179 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

You are there again Gaz with your Widnes Reserves crack!!! Widnes have offered Town the use of THREE players this weekend and at this moment in time according to the Widnes website Town are only using ONE. Look around at other clubs and see how many they are using,

Is that the point though? One is too many IMO and i see our league becoming a SL reserve league in the next four seasons. I personally didn't want SL with the mine field it is at the minute but now I will be glad to get out of this league and then we can have a reserve team in the champ. ( I am totally against it but it seems the norm now and I would rather have a feeder club than be a feeder club our selves).

#180 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Week one and Swinton don't break the rules but is this why the partnerships were brought to be using experienced players of this quality or was it to bring youth through at a better standard
Would of liked to of been at these meeting to see what was actually said and how they said they would run them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users