Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Workington

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

I see its been announced that Workington now have the choice of any five players which arn't in Widnes' starting 18 as the whole of the Widnes side has been registered with Workington. I thought Widnes had left the Championship for good in 2011 but guess we'll playing them in the form of their reserves.
Whats everyone elses view on this?

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 25 January 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#2 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

I think it will kill clubs...no structure and how can you have a game plan when you don't even know what players you have? Games are also won and lost on the training ground.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#3 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Like all the other clubs that have linked up with a SL club Town will only be allowed 5 players at any one time and I don't believe for one minute that there will be many times when we will do that. At the moment we would struggle to put out a team from our own 24 man squad because of injuries and suspensions so we can look to Widnes to help us out in our first matche(s). After that players will only be called upon as and when required. That is no different to what Barrow, and many other clubs did last year with dual registered players. I personally don't like the system because I think it affects the integrity of the Championship competition but on the other hand it's no good burying one's head in the sand because accept it or not it is happening and games will be decided on which team has the best players on the day.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#4 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

....Town will only be allowed 5 players at any one time and I don't believe for one minute that there will be many times when we will do that. .

I suppose you believe in the tooth fairy as well?

....... and games will be decided on which team has the best players on the day.

And the availability of the best players on the day is more than likely going to be decided by the SL clubs making/not making players available

#5 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

I suppose you believe in the tooth fairy as well?

And the availability of the best players on the day is more than likely going to be decided by the SL clubs making/not making players available

No I don't but we shall see how it goes when the season gets going.

Just like it did last season with your dual reg players and all the other clubs that used them. Last year with a set amount registered (4) plus injuries and suspensions we got beat at Gateshead when we played with 15 players 2 of whom had been brought out of retirement to play and two players on the bench so we didn't get a fine for not having 17, because our 4 dual reg players weren't available to help out. With 24 to pick from it shouldn't be a problem this year. ;)

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users