Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tonights Game

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

I have just rung LSV (17.26pm) and the game is on. I asked if there was a chance it could be called off and the answer was no.

#2 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

I have just rung LSV (17.26pm) and the game is on. I asked if there was a chance it could be called off and the answer was no.

Well done Alan (showing initiative), I was going to leave it till about 6.30pm myself and ring them.
Might be worth checking again before 7.00pm as the amount of snow falling could increase quite a bit. Main problems would face those who travel some distance away, say across the Pennines maybe.

Watch this space

#3 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

• Just phoned LSV
  • Confirmation - Tonight's match is ON

#4 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

10 6 to Leigh....few minutes left. ..

#5 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Lost 16 6

#6 iomlion

iomlion
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Many thanks Mark.

Forgive me Phil but not bad with a new squad pretty much!

#7 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 412 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

Thanks Mark!
Posted Image

#8 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Our defensive effort was outstanding
Our attack pretty much reliant on opportunism
Amazing effort all round to play in a blizzard
Horrendous drive home down a slippery East lancs.
Just defrosting ....long johns still on and will probably walk themselves to the washer

#9 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Great credit to both teams for putting on a real show in terrible conditions. Really impressed with our defense which held out for a good 25 mins it seemed. Also I thought our kick and chase was excellent.
It's worth giving LSV praise for actually getting the game on and to the 801 who braved the snow.

#10 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

The ref called an end to the game 5-10 mins early as the conditions got worse. The weather was very much a leveller, sad to say as Leigh looked a lot better than us. The lads put the effort in, good to see Smithy back!

Give us a few more games and we should be ok. However, the Workington game is a 6 pointer and we need a good start!

And I'll say it before Phil does. Barlow gave away another 2 silly penalties.

#11 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

He did but I like the look of him, I get the impression he will be one of those players who upsets the opposition.

#12 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

I do too
Plus I think jack morrison is a star

#13 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Credit to LSV and the players for getting the game on in the worst conditions since Leigh and Swinton met a few years ago and all Lions players who took part were given a medal by Tony Barrow at the end of season presentation night.

Couldn't it have been put back to Sunday? I can appreciate the players now have a weekend off, but playing in that weather took a lot of value out of the match and had a drastic effect on the gate.

Much more encouraging than the Salford performance, but the weather was the winner by a distance. Still grates that half the side are Warrington players.

If Birkett could've shown a bit more pace and made the most of his interception it could have been a shade more interesting, but no doubting the best side won.

The plus side was in defence and kicking game. The minus side was lack of power in the forwards and lack of penetration with ball in hand. A big hard running prop or two would make a huge difference.

That said, I fully expect a win of about 20 points against Workington next week.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#14 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Barlow looks good to me. I love the fact he injected needle into a friendly. he should go really well over the season.

lets face it we can all find things to moan about. but im happier today than i thought i would be. After all they will be there or there abouts come the end of the season. but hey, why look on the positive side of things when negativity is so much more appealing.

Also, hope the injury to Ballard isn't a bad un as I think he'll be a major piece in our jigsaw.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#15 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Barlow looks good to me. I love the fact he injected needle into a friendly. he should go really well over the season.

lets face it we can all find things to moan about. but im happier today than i thought i would be. After all they will be there or there abouts come the end of the season. but hey, why look on the positive side of things when negativity is so much more appealing.

Also, hope the injury to Ballard isn't a bad un as I think he'll be a major piece in our jigsaw.

I doubt had Ballard been on leigh would have caught him had he had the interception in the second half.

I went home slowly, but reasonably happy with what I saw.

#16 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

I preferred it when aggression was used to our benefit, like when the three man tackle sent the Leigh man (no idea who it was), crashing to the ground, the ball on the floor.

Handing the opposition 40 yards doesn't seem too clever.

Morrison looked good yet again and Daz Hawkyard was back which will be massive for us. I do feel much better about the team than after the Salford game anyway! A victory of 12+ points would go down lovely next week!

#17 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Still grates that half the side are Warrington players.

Are you going to say that after every game? Its happening.

#18 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Still grates that half the side are Warrington players.

Are you going to say that after every game? Its happening.

I think we all agree its just moaning for the sake of moaning!

Edited by Barnie, 26 January 2013 - 01:36 PM.

Posted Image

#19 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

A win by 20 against town your in for a shock wel have the 3 points thanks c u next sunday

#20 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Edited by Barnie, 26 January 2013 - 01:42 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users