Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Neil Tunnicliffe - what happened?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Does anyone remember Neil Tunnicliffe?

He was, for a brief moment, the RFL's chief executive and seemed at the time to be a bold choice. (I remember reading too his beautifully written essay on Wakefield Trinity in one of Dave Hadfield's fine early books - X111 Winters?)

Anyway, one day, he just appeared to vanish from the game without leaving a trace behind.

Does anyone know the circumstances of his leaving?

#2 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Not sure but maybe :wub: ?

He's at the British Volleyball Association now

http://uk.linkedin.c...liffe/2/67b/124

#3 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

Does anyone remember Neil Tunnicliffe?

He was, for a brief moment, the RFL's chief executive and seemed at the time to be a bold choice.

Chief exec. for two years and four months.
Not exactly a brief moment but not sure what his legacy is.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#4 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

Whilst on the subject of missing people, does anyone remember this guy? http://www.neilhanson.co.uk/
He used to write a regular column in Open Rugby and I also recall him being the presenter of a documentary that was once broadcast about GB's exploits on the PNG leg of a tour. Pity he doesn't acknowledge his sports writing in the review of his career.

rldfsignature.jpg

#5 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Tunnicliffe was a clever bloke, having a doctorate from Oxford, but was CEO at a time when the RFL were playing second fiddle to SLE led by Lindsay and Caisley. Some time after he left he went on record saying the job was impossible at that time as SLE held all the power and blocked almost every initiative he tried to implement. He also explained why the 2000 World Cup was a financial disaster for the RFL - thanks to the ARL according to him.

Anyway, his tenure wasn't as brief as the bloke who succeeded him - Peter Hawarth - who lasted just 2 months in the job before he resigned.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#6 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Tunnicliffe was a clever bloke, having a doctorate from Oxford, but was CEO at a time when the RFL were playing second fiddle to SLE led by Lindsay and Caisley. Some time after he left he went on record saying the job was impossible at that time as SLE held all the power and blocked almost every initiative he tried to implement. He also explained why the 2000 World Cup was a financial disaster for the RFL - thanks to the ARL according to him.

Anyway, his tenure wasn't as brief as the bloke who succeeded him - Peter Hawarth - who lasted just 2 months in the job before he resigned.

Thanks Derwent.

I remember reading something about his departure by Dave Hadfield - but it was couched in the most vague terms (deliberately, I suspect) that it left me none the wiser. From this distance it appears that Tunniclffe was treated a little cavalierly. I'd be interested in Rugby League World conducting an interview with him, so that he might be able to give his side of the story. I hope, at the very least, that he still loves rugby league for his piece on Trinity in the aforementioned Hadfield book remains one of the most beautiful things written on the sport.

As for Peter Hawarth...?

Edited by trakl, 26 January 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#7 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Whilst on the subject of missing people, does anyone remember this guy? http://www.neilhanson.co.uk/
He used to write a regular column in Open Rugby and I also recall him being the presenter of a documentary that was once broadcast about GB's exploits on the PNG leg of a tour. Pity he doesn't acknowledge his sports writing in the review of his career.

I remember Neil Hanson's columns in Open Rugby too - and I can still recall one or two images from his book on Wigan's glory years, especially the characterisation of Shaun Edwards for some reason.

Assuming the Neil Hanson whose website you refer to is one and the same man, then yes it is puzzling that his rugby league output is not mentioned.

#8 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

I remember Neil Hanson's columns in Open Rugby too - and I can still recall one or two images from his book on Wigan's glory years, especially the characterisation of Shaun Edwards for some reason.

Assuming the Neil Hanson whose website you refer to is one and the same man, then yes it is puzzling that his rugby league output is not mentioned.

It is the same guy. He was also editor of League Express while I worked there. He wrote Mud, Blood & Glory about one year at Wigan RLFC. His book on the Spanish Armada is very good indeed. A real ale buff also. Very nice chap.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#9 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Yes.

His doctorate was in classical Greek poetry or some such thing. Not really cut out for the politics of being RFL CEO, but a good guy in my book.

#10 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

It is the same guy. He was also editor of League Express while I worked there. He wrote Mud, Blood & Glory about one year at Wigan RLFC. His book on the Spanish Armada is very good indeed. A real ale buff also. Very nice chap.

Has he given up on rugby league?

#11 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Has he given up on rugby league?

Pretty much. He still lives in Yorkshire but hasn't written on the game for donkey's. Last time we talked he was working on a WW1 book which I now see is out. Does a lot of after dinner speaking too.

#12 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Pretty much. He still lives in Yorkshire but hasn't written on the game for donkey's. Last time we talked he was working on a WW1 book which I now see is out. Does a lot of after dinner speaking too.

Thanks. Next time you see him though, tell him to namecheck his Wigan book on his website!

#13 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Thanks. Next time you see him though, tell him to namecheck his Wigan book on his website!

Yes, there are many of his books not mentioned on that site. He told me a few of the many stories that he wasn't allowed to put in his book on Wigan, (Maurice read the book pre-publication and cut out some sections he didn't want in there), and let's just say it would've been quite a different read!

#14 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Yes, there are many of his books not mentioned on that site. He told me a few of the many stories that he wasn't allowed to put in his book on Wigan, (Maurice read the book pre-publication and cut out some sections he didn't want in there), and let's just say it would've been quite a different read!

Do tell...

#15 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Do tell...

No, you can't. St. Maurice of Wigan is infallible in matters RL.

#16 dinosore

dinosore
  • Coach
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

Iirc Neil Tunicliffe went to work in the probation/prison service when he left the rugby league apparently it was more money for less hassle.

#17 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Apparently Hanley wasn't very helpful either.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Iirc Neil Tunicliffe went to work in the probation/prison service when he left the rugby league apparently it was more money for less hassle.

No, that was Bernard Dwyer.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#19 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Apparently Hanley wasn't very helpful either.

A mild understatement <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users