Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Gate Money

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 getting2old

getting2old
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Being giving the gate prices a bit more thought and I come up with another method of increasing crowds and lowering gate prices and yet increasing gate money.

Say Rovers charge £12 per adult and get around 3,000 fans = £36,000
At £17 per adult if we get 2,000 =£34,000
My point is we still have all these seats in the ground in which the cost of manning the game might slightly cost more but the crowds go up more support for our team.
We could increase the gate prices as we get into better times but now people are hard up and I fear they will just come along to the better match’s teams like Halifax.
I know many families of 3 or 4 that would come to more games if we did something along this way rather than just poor old dad on his own.

Yes there is a chance that you could devalue the product.
Then there’s the chance that the neutral fans say sod Fev ‘s playing better rugby and flying the flag for local talent winning more games etc lets have a bobs worth of whats on offer bigger crowds please super league tiny minds.

Just a thought.

#2 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Lets see how Hunslets crowds go on this year when they lower the price for certain matches your theory is interesting but I don't believe it would work

#3 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

Has it worked at Wakefield? I don't mean with match-day admission prices, but cheaper season tickets. I pass the advertising trailer on Heath Common every day, and their season ticket prices are well below Rovers', but their gate prices are higher. In my perception it seems to have worked because their attendances seem to have risen. I don't know whether the figures stack up at Wakefield though?

#4 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

I don't think you'd get a 50% increase on your gate by dropping 30% off your turnstile price.

And members have already paid their money based on a £17 turnstile price. What are they going to think ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#5 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

There has been a recent valuation that says that you need around 10,000 to make a profit in SL. I don't think we will get anywhere near that. However only a few teams are getting crowds of anywhere near that. That is why so many teams are in trouble. The crux of the matter is getting into SL. If we sell our land say for 10 mill and don't get sufficient income coming in then gradually our capital will be eroded and we will end up with no land and bankrupt. Why I say the crux of the matter is S:L is because if we get 1 mill from the RL we could cover any surplus debit cash flow. If we don't get into SL and we sell it will be a slow road to destruction. With regard to ticket prices it is supply and demand. You can only put your toe in the water and see the result. But don't forget we had average crowds of 4000 and were in debt of nearly 400k. Cash flow as I have always said is the most importnat item to watch. It is not only income it is expenditure against that income and the net result that counts.

#6 frankj

frankj
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

It's the principle, Griff. If you used 1500 @ £15 (£22,500) against 1200 @ £17 (£20,400) the revenue argument would still be good. Plus you have the additional revenue from bar, shop, programmes etc. Having said that, I have no argument with the admission price set. We have a good product and, in my view, it is worth the extra.

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

It's the principle, Griff. If you used 1500 @ £15 (£22,500) against 1200 @ £17 (£20,400) the revenue argument would still be good. Plus you have the additional revenue from bar, shop, programmes etc. Having said that, I have no argument with the admission price set. We have a good product and, in my view, it is worth the extra.

OK - £2 would give you a chance.

Snag is - you'll never know if it worked because you can't count how many people wouldn't have come if you hadn't dropped the price from £17.

And I still say your members would be spitting feathers if you did it for this season.

#8 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Snag is - you'll never know if it worked because you can't count how many people wouldn't have come if you hadn't dropped the price from £17.

And I still say your members would be spitting feathers if you did it for this season.

In the past season ticket holders haven't complained at special offers for certain games, as true fans they are more concerned with seeing more people come through the turnstiles. Many of us would love to see an extra 1,000 turn up, even if they were paying less than we paid for our membership.

#9 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

In the past season ticket holders haven't complained at special offers for certain games, as true fans they are more concerned with seeing more people come through the turnstiles. Many of us would love to see an extra 1,000 turn up, even if they were paying less than we paid for our membership.

+1

#10 andyc

andyc
  • Coach
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

+1

.+2
WatchED Rovers since 74-75 seasons,as mad about rovers 35 years on(the wife thinks i,m mad).
ROVERS ROVERS

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

In my experience, the one thing you can guarantee when you put some cheap deal on is that you'll get phone calls from season ticket holders asking why they should pay so much for their ticket.

But - fair play to those supporters who don't mind. ;)

#12 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

well i'm a miserable old git, as you well know griff, and i don't mind
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#13 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

well i'm a miserable old git, as you well know griff, and i don't mind

:lol:

Fair enough.

#14 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Regarding this thread and an earlier one now locked (£17 to get in): No-one has mentioned the viewing experience from the various grounds mentioned. When you go to the theatre you pay extra for the best seats. A Hunslet fan was moaning about Rovers' admission price compared to theirs, but watching from the South Leeds Stadium, and Meadowhall for that matter, is like watching TV on an old 14" screen compared to a 50" flat screen. I wonder how many Leigh fans will elect to stand on Sunday rather than taking a free seat in one of the stands? At Rovers you can sit or stand where you like, go in the Clubhouse for a free to drink of good quality draught beer, or drink out of a can in the Blue Lagoon or one of other 3 bars around the ground without being ripped off. Likewise the fast food prices are reasonable. Rovers may not have the prettiest ground, but the only one to match it for viewing enjoyment is Batley. I would gladly pay an extra fiver to watch a game at Fev or Batley than I would at Hunslet or Sheffield!

Edited by Steve Slater, 27 January 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#15 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Then offer the members something in return for the price drop ie free drink or discounted programme. There are ways around things.
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!