Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Can we ALL put Bowes on "Ignore"

Just tell me how to do it!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#21 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 432 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

I agree entirely but posters like me (340 posts in 10 years) are swamped by people who can post 10,375 posts in 6 years.
Since you are so knowledgable can you tell me why Boarder was banned if debate and discussion are the norm.

Boarder was a fake account.
He has a ( rarely used) account on these boards under his real name and is one of the most polite men you could wish to meet.. :rolleyes:

#22 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

I agree entirely but posters like me (340 posts in 10 years) are swamped by people who can post 10,375 posts in 6 years.
Since you are so knowledgable can you tell me why Boarder was banned if debate and discussion are the norm.

Accumulation of warning points for breaking the terms and conditions.

I am a mod on this sub-forum (just this one) but if there was any other agenda then they didn't include me in it.

You are free (and even encouraged) to make more than 340 posts.

#23 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

I think part of the issue here is that for outsiders who were not brought up playing / watching rugby league and don't come from either West Yorkshire or Greater Manchester then the NCL and BARLA generally is an impenetrable society of people who all seem to know each other and understand all the plethora of different leagues and cups that mean little to anyone else.

Nor do the various bodies and clubs seem particularly interested in explaining these things to outsiders. The people who matter already know and those who don't know probably aren't interested anyway. It seems to be a general rugby league thing, the RLC (and its predecessors and successors) seem very similar except even those involved in them know very little of what is going on.

Hence I can understand (and even share) bowes' desire to know what is going on so that I can communicate it to others. Rugby league is very poor at communicating. At the same time I can appreciate that clubs aren't always happy to have rumours about them posted on the Internet.

#24 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Good thread this. Lovely stuff.
Posted Image

#25 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Forums are places for debate and discussion. If someone disagreeing with you or challenging your opinion upsets you then it's your problem not theirs unless they have broken the terms and conditions.

if the thread start on one topic and then as they often do moves onto another all still based on rugby is this a breach of the conditions?

is there a code of conduct that a moderator must stick to and rules they must abide to ?
I would appreciate you input on this please,

#26 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

if the thread start on one topic and then as they often do moves onto another all still based on rugby is this a breach of the conditions?

Not if it was a natural evolution, a thread about the NCL 2nd division could easily evolve into a discussion of the Southern Conference League without anyone deliberately hijacking it. If it somehow became about gun control in the US then that's another matter.

is there a code of conduct that a moderator must stick to and rules they must abide to ?
I would appreciate you input on this please,

Mods are expected to follow the T & C of the forum like everybody else as well as visit the forum regularly and act impartially. There isn't any particularly swearing in ceremony or oath of office. Nor is there a particular definition of the role.

I have the power to see people's warning points (only on this forum), I can see when other mods issue warnings (a fairly recent innovation), I can issue warnings, I can delete posts, lock threads, move them and merge / split them (never tried). I can't actually ban anyone.

I have no more rights outside this sub-forum than anyone else so I can have my posts deleted (has happened) or my threads locked or receive a warning like anyone else.

Edited by Northern Sol, 16 February 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#27 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

I took a week off as this forum was doing my head in and I had tried to cut back before rather temporarily. I actually feel much better not addicted to this thing so I've just checked once or twice a week for news and that's about it.

Incidentally boarder posts on the Widnes forum and blames me for getting his banned on here.

You should take time off now and again, it does you good.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#28 SAINT33

SAINT33
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

Boarder was a fake account.
He has a ( rarely used) account on these boards under his real name and is one of the most polite men you could wish to meet.. :rolleyes:

I wouild love to know were that fairy story came from.
I was emailed by Boarder last night. He has tried numerous times to get back on the Forum and is not allowed on.
He also mentioned that people are allowed to make sick paedophile jokes but he is not allowed the right of free speech about a game he has followed all his life (and according to him still occasionally plays) yet southerners are allowed to block him (his words not mine)

#29 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

There is no "right to free speech" on a private board. If Boarder wants free speech then he should find a board that allows it or start his own.

edit: and the details of your post make it clear why his request would have been refused. Imaging that playing the game all his life gives him certain rights on here, being condescending to southerners and being unrepentant. Generally speaking if you want to come back after being banned I'd suggest saying that you realise that your past behaviour was out-of-order and you intend to turn over a new leaf.

I can see how many warning points each of you have. Very, very few posters in this sub-forum have any at all. It's really not too hard to stay unbanned.

Edited by Northern Sol, 17 February 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#30 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

I was emailed by Boarder last night. He has tried numerous times to get back on the Forum and is not allowed on.
He also mentioned that people are allowed to make sick paedophile jokes but he is not allowed the right of free speech about a game he has followed all his life (and according to him still occasionally plays) yet southerners are allowed to block him (his words not mine)

What the heck has being southern got to do with anything? Southerners can't have as much involvement in the game because of where they're from? Is that what this thread is about, attacking one poster because he is not 'northern' enough? If that is him trying for reconciliation, I can understand how he fell foul of the terms and conditions.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#31 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Not to mention that involvement in the game doesn't give you more rights on here.

#32 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Just to clarify: Moderators can't ban anyone, only Site Admins can do that. There are only two Site Admins on the whole of TotalRL.com: myself and ckn.

I banned boarder (incidentally, and not that it is in any way relevant, the only bit of the south I'm from is South Bradford) after he had accumulated repeated warnings for breaking the Terms & Conditions of Use and basically ignored all the warnings and carried on regardless. You just can't win with some people, no matter how hard you may try.

Free speech exists on here within the constraints of the Terms & Conditions of Use. Anyone who can't abide by the T&Cs will eventually fall foul of the moderators and open themselves up to being banned by a Site Admin. If you follow the T&Cs, which are perfectly reasonable and not dissimilar to the kind of rules you'll find on most internet forums, it helps to make the whole forum a much friendlier and open place on which to discuss any subject.

It's often used as a 'defence' by someone who gets banned on here that someone else has posted something worse, etc. That is no defence. Be responsible for your own actions.

Moderators nor Site Admins can spend their every waking hour checking every single post on here. If you see anything which you think oversteps the mark (such as 'sick paedophile jokes' which I can assure you do not fall within the T&Cs and should not be posted on here) then please use the 'report' button which appears in the bottom right hand corner of every posting, to bring it to the attention of the moderating team, who will then take the appropriate action. If you are not prepared to use the 'report' button, then please do not subsequently complain about a post in poor taste or which breaks the T&Cs that a moderator may not even have seen.

Ultimately, any forum is only as good as the people who use it. Follow the T&Cs yourself, and report others who do not do the same. It's not too much to ask and it will result in a better experience for all concerned, whether a member, a moderator or a Site Admin.

Hope this clears up a few misconceptions and misunderstandings. If anyone has any queries on any of this, please email me directly at john.drake@totalrl.com and I'll be happy to discuss any issues with you.

Thanks.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com