what do you really want?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Haven4ever, how many clubs in the Championship do you know that could add say £1,000 to their salary cap, just let a SL player have a 20 -30 minute cameo role.

As you have said elsewhere, if Haven only have 5 Saints players DR and none of them play in a position that you need filling, you say you would de-register one of the 5 and register another. How is that any different from having extra players registered in the first place?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#62 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Simple Keith by not having a full squad registered the SL can't use it as way for players to come back from injury,read Betts comments it's clear how he plans to use it .question is will town or any other club for that matter my own included allow them to do that ?i hope not but Betts statement about it would make me uneasy

Edited by haven4ever, 31 January 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#63 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Simple Keith by not having a full squad registered the SL can't use it as way for players to come back from injury,read Betts comments it's clear how he plans to use it .question is will town or any other club for that matter my own included allow them to do that ?i hope not but Betts statement about it would make me uneasy

Why what as betts said? That makes you uneasy.

#64 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

All Betts was doing was "geeing up" his squad to show that going on DR to Town wasn't a punishment but a way of getting in to the first team.

Even though it doesn't necessarily cost the Championship club a penny, the players nominal fee is added to the Championship clubs salary cap total and the figures stated are per game. You could be looking at several thousands of pounds

per game plus your own p,ayers salaries, so I don't think you need worry that what you say is going to happen on a regular basis.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#65 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

“Having spoken to our players about their recovery from non-selection or injury, playing for Workington is seen as a big step back into the Widnes first team"
Said a lot but this line sort of sums up how widnes intend to use the DR system

#66 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

He's stalking you Keith :rolleyes:

#67 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Haven4ever, your team this week isn't using any DR players. Who made that decision?

#68 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

i would say if its correct then the coach,given he said in the press he wanted to give our own players a chance,seems widnes have made 3 available for you.If this is correct will all 3 play,if they had made 5 available would 5 have played.This is what im on about could get very messy when SL clubs including saints make certain players available and clubs decline to play them. This is why i think the old system was better,with this you could end up with a number of different players every week.That could not happen under the old system as you could only register 4.Said before keith for some one supposedl against this you dont half defend it.

Edited by haven4ever, 31 January 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#69 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

He's stalking you Keith :rolleyes:

think you'll find its the other way around :rolleyes:

#70 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 338 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Must admit I am not too sure how all this will pan out over the season but I cannot see the extreme situations that are possible actually occurring.

Of the three main DR payers we had last year (Walker/Riley/Forster) we seemed to get two of them injured so they could not play for their main club and the third played so well for us he got recalled too often to be effective.

The second half of the season then seemed to tail away.

If I was Warrington I would be very wary of sending and returning injured players to Swinton!

As for losing a player who is playing well (the concept of the "feeder club") then that happens anyway. Armstrong was snapped up by Sheffield, Higson to Leigh and Hurst to the Broncos. It does therefore seem that even without DR we are forced to be okay at best. Make sure your best players do not play too well....

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#71 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

i would say if its correct then the coach,given he said in the press he wanted to give our own players a chance,seems widnes have made 3 available for you.If this is correct will all 3 play,if they had made 5 available would 5 have played.This is what im on about could get very messy when SL clubs including saints make certain players available and clubs decline to play them. This is why i think the old system was better,with this you could end up with a number of different players every week.That could not happen under the old system as you could only register 4.Said before keith for some one supposedl against this you dont half defend it.

So no pressure was put on your coach to pick Saints players but yet you assume every other club will be. I've told several times I don't like the DR system but we have had it foisted upon us and it's no good belly achi ng about it, you have to accept it and get the most advantage you can from. End of.

#72 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

So no pressure was put on your coach to pick Saints players but yet you assume every other club will be. I've told several times I don't like the DR system but we have had it foisted upon us and it's no good belly achi ng about it, you have to accept it and get the most advantage you can from. End of.

agree with that keith its in like it or not and have to make the most of it,just think its a big mistake registering a full squad ,leaves it open for SL club to try to manipulate...agree to disagree

#73 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Must admit I am not too sure how all this will pan out over the season but I cannot see the extreme situations that are possible actually occurring.

Of the three main DR payers we had last year (Walker/Riley/Forster) we seemed to get two of them injured so they could not play for their main club and the third played so well for us he got recalled too often to be effective.

The second half of the season then seemed to tail away.

If I was Warrington I would be very wary of sending and returning injured players to Swinton!

As for losing a player who is playing well (the concept of the "feeder club") then that happens anyway. Armstrong was snapped up by Sheffield, Higson to Leigh and Hurst to the Broncos. It does therefore seem that even without DR we are forced to be okay at best. Make sure your best players do not play too well....

Having the Swinton first team used as a means of developing young players whose first loyalty is at all times to Warrington ("feeder club") is a different issue to problems with retention of players contracted to Swinton (the phrase there should really be "selling club" and that would be an accurate portrayal of what often happens in football, admittedly transfer fees are as rare as hen's teeth nowadays in RL).

The true answer to the problem you highlight is to grow income. So the key question is: Is the link with Warrington being implimented as part of a strategy to deliver increased income, or - is the link with Warrington simply designed to reduce overheads while clinging to life in the Championship and playing out of town?

The Lions really do need to get on with Agecroft, pronto. Dr Koukash is already making a major impact at Salford City Reds, if he goes on to make it a big success there is a risk the Reds will swamp the area and younger potential supporters will be even more focussed on Salford than they are already.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#74 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

Confirmed on prem sports we were offered 3 saints players this week one of whom has been in a GF bit declined want to give our own squad a chance first

#75 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

The Lions really do need to get on with Agecroft, pronto. Dr Koukash is already making a major impact at Salford City Reds, if he goes on to make it a big success there is a risk the Reds will swamp the area and younger potential supporters will be even more focussed on Salford than they are already.

"The Lions really do need to get on with Agecroft, prontissimo"

COULDN'T AGREE MORE PHILL

#76 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

"The Lions really do need to get on with Agecroft, prontissimo"

COULDN'T AGREE MORE PHILL

Who doesn't agree?
Phil wins first prize in the stating the obvious competition.

Edited by mark richardson, 01 February 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#77 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

I'm sure that the Club have been deliberately sat with their fingers up their proverbials just to drag out the whole scenario. I mean who'd really want to return to their Club's home town, have a stadium that they can call "home" and get the income from bar and catering on match days rather than shelling out to LSV every other week through the season!!!
Granted, the Club's communications have often been a bit slow and I'm sure that if they had a full-time team working on the applications and smoooozing the powers that be, things could possibly have been done quicker......but sometimes I really do wonder about some comments on here. :huh:

#78 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

We are gravitating evermore towards the Aussie system of an untouchable franchised top division and feeder leagues. Just because it is being steadily imposed doesn't mean I have to like it. We have seen the RFL's sheepishness in following all things Australian many times, for me a lot of the changes don't suit UK sporting culture and this is a step too far.

Very good points made here Phill. I've been saying this for years, that our beloved RFL will go to any lengths just to go down the same crazy path which the Aussies have done for many years. It's almost as if they're ashamed of our very own British RL culture and they're blind to the fact that the game of rugby league was born NORTH of the Equator, NOT south of it.
If only we could get the RFL to behave as it did in the days of Bill Fallowfield and David Oxley et al.
Maybe the RL pendulum will one day swing back to where it came from, who knows.

#79 iomlion

iomlion
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I really want people to be positive for a change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users