League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Change in on the field leadership at Hull FC.

Club news release

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

Not sure about this but I suppose it's not unexpected. Andy Lynch is replaced as Captain with Gareth Ellis taking over, and a much deserved Vice Captain's role going to Danny Houghton.

"Humbling"

I'm never keen on the thought of giving a newcomer to a club the Captain's armband but I suppose Ellis is the sort of player that hardly needs to gain the respect of the established players.

Just hope they all see it that way.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#2 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Bit shocked when I read this today. Lynch was immense last season and did absolutely nothing wrong, so Ellis has some very, very big boots to fill. Don't doubt that he's capable and will have the respect of all those around him, so we'll have to see how it goes. Pleased that Houghton has the vice-captains role.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#3 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

Real quality there with Ellis. Hull really need to step up to the mark. If the rest of the squad play with the same consistency as Ellis, then FC fans should be in for a great season.

#4 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

I was never convinced by Lynch as captain at Bradford (but certainly not as a player - his lack of international recognition is terrible).

He led by example, for sure, but I'm not sure he had the on field motivation skill for others and he's not on the pitch so much.
People called Romans they go the house

#5 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

I feel a bit sorry for Lynch but Ellis is the most experienced player in SL by a mile and I can see Gentles thinking. We have a very good prop rotation this year so unlike Ellis Lynch will not be on the pitch all the time.
Great news for Danny Houghten well deserved recognition Im hoping he is going to push on to greater things this year and make the England WC squad.

Edited by westhuller, 26 January 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#6 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Real quality there with Ellis. Hull really need to step up to the mark. If the rest of the squad play with the same consistency as Ellis, then FC fans should be in for a great season.

Yes we should but can they take the weight of expectation it is huge this year anything but a top four finish will be seen as a failure from some.

#7 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Yes we should but can they take the weight of expectation it is huge this year anything but a top four finish will be seen as a failure from some.

That's the mental toughness that Gentle somehow needs to instill. The players have got to believe that when they get in a mess away at Leeds or Wigan, then they've got the ability and know how to turn it around and come away with the points

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

I remember being surprised at Wire when we replaced Briers with Morley.
It worked extremely well, Im sure Lynch is fine with it.

#9 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

We've had a different captain every year for 5 years now! 6 captains in 9 years! 4 of them made captain in their first season (Radford, Long, Lynch and now Ellis). Fitzgibbon is (other than obviously Ellis) is the only one who didn't drop the captaincy to the next person whilst still playing.

Always had a bit of a leadership problem at Hull, but didn't think Lynch would be included in that category. Good to see they're thinking of the future with making Houghton the vice captain though. Danny is a black and white through and through and won't be going anywhere soon. Bit envious of clubs like Leeds and Wigan who have had captains with a legacy in recent years.

Posted Image

#10 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

http://iota.ecommzon...89867c/home.htm

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#11 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

I always thought that, other than the other obvious necessary attributes, a captain should be someone who has done a fair amount of put time at the club.....can see the tactic of bringing in a superstar and making them captain straightaway might put some team mates noses out of joint.....

#12 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,242 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

One trouble with having a prop as captain is that they generally only do 40 minutes of game-time.

Andy Lynch was a top player and top clubman at the Bulls. I hope he makes England's World Cup squad

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#13 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,124 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Knowing Hull's luck Ellis will be captain for about three games.

He'll then be out for the rest of the season with some bizarre injury incurred in training.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users