Summer Rugby's back next week

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,407 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

We've got about a foot of snow here! The season kicks off next Thursday, hopefully the snow will have gone by then, or a new lot could have come! Seriously has the game got any real benefit from "Summer Rugby?" One of the arguments was that in summer there would be less happening in sports and RL would get a larger share of coverage! I reckon this is a fallacy Last year was the Olympics, and Paralympics, this year there'll be an Ashes series and the Lions will be touring. In 2014 it'll be the soccer world cup. There's always something to draw attention away, plus of course the season starts just as all the hoo ha of the Sick Nations is kicking off. Time for a rethink?

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Why time for a rethink?

You're complaining there's a foot of snow (that will hopefully clear). If we move it, it will go over the entire snowy period. How is that better?

We avoid a lot of the other sports. It's impossible to avoid all of them.
Posted Image

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

No imo. I like the season as it is regardless of coverage or other events.

#4 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Why time for a rethink?

You're complaining there's a foot of snow (that will hopefully clear). If we move it, it will go over the entire snowy period. How is that better?

We avoid a lot of the other sports. It's impossible to avoid all of them.

The unpredictability of the English weather is one of the things that defines us as a nation, but the way the season is now, the best of what we get is usually within the season. Previously the best months, June, July & August were all outside the season.

#5 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 524 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Ive no problem with the season starting next week, afterall we didn't have a summer last year! If we were to move it I'd love it start on boxing day, I know th players might not like it but it would be a great way to start the season, with another game on boxing day!

#6 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

I like the season as it is.

Went to the Hemel match yesterday and while I'm fine with putting up with those conditions for a few matches, I wouldn't want the whole season to be like that!

Also, all the snow has gone near me now (don't know what it's like up north)
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,898 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Ive no problem with the season starting next week, afterall we didn't have a summer last year! If we were to move it I'd love it start on boxing day, I know th players might not like it but it would be a great way to start the season, with another game on boxing day!

That would also move the Internationals back a bit, to a time of year where better weather is more likely. Don't think it would happen, though, as the NRL almost certainly wouldn't move their season to match SL's.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

if we got rid of the challenge cup we could start our season the same time as the NRL

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#9 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

if we got rid of the challenge cup we could start our season the same time as the NRL

And I hope that never happens
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#10 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

so do i....im just saying thats why we have to start 4 or 5 week before the aussies

OLDHAM RLFC

#11 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

The season starts on Thursday and finishes with the WC Final on November 30th. Does seem a tad long for the players, but how else can it be organised, given that club finances would currently precluded a reduction in fixtures?

#12 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

if we cut super league to 10 each club would receive a larger slice of the tv money,making up for the loss of gate revenue..

OLDHAM RLFC

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

if we cut super league to 10 each club would receive a larger slice of the tv money,making up for the loss of gate revenue..

What makes you sure they'd pay the same for less teams?

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

it'll be a higher quality product

OLDHAM RLFC

#15 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Since SL started I've watched Leeds in a T shirt in February and in full three layer kit in July. That's one reason that makes this country interesting.

Generally watching the game in summer is wonderful and as each game goes by from the start of the reason the promise is of better weather to come.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#16 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Drambuie! That is all :)
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users