RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Losing interest rapidly.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Having read a number of relevant threads this morning - on various totalrl.com forums, I have to say that I'm more disillusioned by the state of Rugby League than at any stage during the 25+ years that I've been a loyal supporter of both my club and the sport in general.
It appears that both Widnes and Hull have been allowed to dual-register their ENTIRE first-team squads with Workington Town and York City Knights respectively, with FIVE players not selected for SL duty on any given weekend expected to line-up for their Championship partners. The Championship clubs concerned will effectively be allowed to choose from any five players who haven't made the cut on any given weekend.
I'm afraid that this is the beginning of the end for RL at out level. The clubs involved in this sham are simply losing all self-respect and dignity. I've got to admit that I'm fairly unhappy with our own arrangement with Huddersfield Giants, and was slightly suspicious to see the names of three Giants players on our teamsheet for the friendly on Thursday night, however as long as we don't get players inflicted upon us once the season starts (at the expense of official Batley players) I won't be getting too upset. Once that situation becomes a reality, however, I'll be walking away. I don't want to see my club winning games with five Super League players from another club - that we've borrowed for the weekend, in our line-up. It'd be humiliating and an insult to our past achievements in surviving as a proud, independent club with a rich history that has battled against the odds more times than I care to remember.
For clubs such as York and Workington though, the death knell has already sounded. Dress it up anyway you want - and some forum members appear eager to do just that, but any sense of dignity is being thrown right out of the window.

Edited by Philius T Wilderbeest, 26 January 2013 - 01:23 PM.

#2 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Couldn't agree more PTW. They should be on season long loan and not at the beck and call of the SL club.

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#3 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

I MIGHT HAVE MISSED SOMETHING BUT I DONT THINK THAT IS THE CASE WITH YORK/HULL. YORK INITIALLY REGISTERED 9 FRINGE PLAYERS AND THEN ADDED PITTS, CROOKES AND WATTS - 3 MORE FRINGE PLAYERS.

#4 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Oh that's OK then 12 hardly any at all

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#5 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Oh that's OK then 12 hardly any at all

Can still only play 5 of them.
Posted Image

#6 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 656 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

would be good to see how a team does second half without their 5 imports.not really a fair reflection if you turned some top 3 side over with the 5 imports then get thrashed week after by a bottom side without the 5 said players. i think its plain wrong and should a been 2 players only if it had to happen at all,i want to see batley players play not some sl players who aint good enought to start for their team,i know if they nicked my shirt i wouldent put in 100% week after thats for sure after playing secong fiddle.i support batley and it should be batley players simple as. but lets not forget that if these loan players cant make it into the sl side they aint forced to be up to even getting in our teams. should be intersesting to see just how much some squads use the possible 5 players.

#7 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

That's all well and good, however when there comes a point that those five players comprise of Tom Lineham, Ben Crooks, Jason Crookes, Liam Watts and Jay Pitts (the latter three certainly aren't 'fringe' plyers as has been suggested, with all possessing real top flight experience), then it might be a concern for the club you're playing against.
As I said previously, the danger is that Championship clubs who participate fully in this scheme are running the real risk of becoming reserve sides for SL outfits. There is a precedent for this in the shape of the former Brisbane League in Australia, where historically great clubs were linked to NRL sides and now act simply as feeder clubs where young players are sent to develop and seasoned players are kept match fit. Some of those former BRL clubs still exist in the Wizard Cup, but have lost pretty much all their fanbase to Brisbane Broncos and play on what amount to little more than park pitches.
That's where this is headed.

Edited by Philius T Wilderbeest, 26 January 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#8 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

your spot on mate, dewsbury have registered all of the bradford squad as well
Posted Image

#9 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,538 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

I have always feared that the present arrangements could be the thin end of the wedge and that fear has not diminished. Any benefits for championship clubs of these agreements are purely short term - the real beneficiaries are the SL clubs and always will be. If the championship clubs don't fight hard to retain the integrity of their competition then I think a lot of fans will drift away.

See what can happen here: http://www.newtownje...nding-NRLFC.php
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#10 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

The success or failure for a Championship club of the link up with a Super League club will be determined by how the coaching team of the Championship Club manage the players/team selection and the expectations of the Super League club from the arrangement.

York might be able to select from any of the Hull team but the Coach will have to be fair to the players already signed on at York. There is also the question how motivated the Hull players selected to play for York will be.

I do not see a problem playing the three Huddersfield players in the Batley v Halifax friendly. It gave Batley a chance to look at possible dual registration players Blackmore and Dawson whilst Jacob Fairbank was playing to gain fitness and get back up to speed for Super League. I am assuming all the Batley players who where available played.

This is the first season of this arrangement. It will be a case of giving it time to see what happens. I have my doubts about the Widnes and Workington arrangement lasting due to the travelling involved for the Widnes players travelling to Workington for training and matches .

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#11 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

...I have my doubts about the Widnes and Workington arrangement lasting due to the travelling involved for the Widnes players travelling to Workington for training and matches.

They are going to have to play somewhere though, to keep match fit if nothing else. There is a big difference between being fit, and match fit. SL clubs no longer have 2nd teams, so where else are these lads going to get match practice other than Workington?

I can't see too many players turning out in SL half way through a season having not played a game at any level for 3 or 4 months, can you? It was hard enough for players to make the step up from 2nd team rugby to 1st, How difficult would it be for them to make the jump from not playing at all for several months, and then having to jump straight in to the 1st team, It would be nigh on impossible.

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 26 January 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#12 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Dupe post

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 26 January 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#13 PETES' LADS' BRUV

PETES' LADS' BRUV
  • Coach
  • 917 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

Can i ask a question,

from reading our "arrangement" with Huddersfield, arn't all the Huddersfield players registered with us?
A new future has begun!

#14 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Unless something has happened overnight, I believe we are still in negotiation with the bulls about who we take on DR - as i understand it, it will only be four or five - that said, I'm still agin it. Keinhorst will be a better signing for hunslet than anybody we will be able to get IMO.

#15 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Now those teams have registered most of the club they partner other will do the same. I blame all the championship chairmen that have agreed to this. The RFL could of brought it in with S/L but ALL the clubs just shouldn't of linked up at championship level

People won't agree but I think clubs who have not agreed a partnership will have better team spirit a more settled squad and do that bit extra to get the shirt off there mate who they will be training with week after week

The big worry is what is round the corner next year now that clubs from the championship have agreed to help the S/L clubs who get all the cash in the first place

#16 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 656 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Now those teams have registered most of the club they partner other will do the same. I blame all the championship chairmen that have agreed to this. The RFL could of brought it in with S/L but ALL the clubs just shouldn't of linked up at championship level

People won't agree but I think clubs who have not agreed a partnership will have better team spirit a more settled squad and do that bit extra to get the shirt off there mate who they will be training with week after week

The big worry is what is round the corner next year now that clubs from the championship have agreed to help the S/L clubs who get all the cash in the first place

spot on to me jt. ?? but who as choose to opt out of this setup.

#17 gittinsfan

gittinsfan
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Purely as a matter of interest,who pays the wages/match fees for these DR/loan players.If it is the lower tier club,who determines the amount of the fee.

#18 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

As I understand it the SL club are responsible for paying the player his salary etc as per his contract with that club. The Championship club pays the SL club a fee to "hire" that player, the fee to be agreed between both clubs prior to playing.

#19 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

spot on to me jt. ?? but who as choose to opt out of this setup.

Fev Leigh Halifax Barrow and Keighley have opted out of this arrangement

Edited by jt, 27 January 2013 - 11:57 PM.

#20 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

tonights inside out documentary on BBC 1 about the state of finances of rugby league clubs in the top flight could be quite interesting.

The game needs a major shake up from top to bottom.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users