Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Odds !

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

Dire rl? I guess from that comment you watched loads of games the last couple of seasons then? We have seen so e fantastic games in that league, and some excellent players and teams.

DKW I agree with you that you have seen more rugby in that division than me. I watched the televised games last season including the GF and me and mates that watched the games especially the GF said they are in trouble next season the rugby isn't good enough they will struggle big time. DKW I hope I'm wrong and your right because the champ needs the Cumbrian teams IMO.

#22 Luggsy the legend

Luggsy the legend
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

What you have got to remember unlike Fev and the Rams they were in the lowest league for so long that they don't know any different they think that CC1 was a top league plus had it not been for the RFL expanding our league they would have still been in it still.
Up the Rams

#23 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Err...as would your beloved Haven . Shoulda been 3 up .

#24 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

i think barrows odds are ridiculously low. i honestly see them being bottom .

Living on cloud cuckoo land mate, Raiders will be mid table this season. Our pack is massive, and our backs are classier than ever. Think we can beat likesof yourselves, haven, swinton, dews, keighley, hunslet, esp at home and come away with a bonus point at the very least away from home. The players at Raiders are there cause they want to be, not cause they cant get into the squad of their own team. No subsitute for passion in a shirt

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#25 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Stop complaining as dual players will keep players fresh and give players to fully recover than to play on injuries.

#26 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

But still, does everyone forget that Widnes finished BOTTOM of super league and got knocked out of the challenge cup by CC1 opposition? Somehow town fans seem to see Widnes as the worldbeaters they were in the early 80's, rather than whipping boys they currently are. Widnes cast offs wouldnt make me optimistic.

#27 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Forget took time for Widnes to gel as was a new team put together.If look at results after the magic weekend there where wins and much closer games.Players like Tom Gilmore are rated more highly than Richard Myler at the same age.So I bet you would not mind that to be honest.Not all duals will be top quality and you can pick which ones want to play is a advantage.

#28 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

yeah and our school boys beat the aussie school boys year after year, but we cant do it when they get older. Argument is flawed. End of the day, only results that matter are what happens on the pitch, and stats say Widnes finished bottom last year with a bigger negative against their name than any other team since Leigh did in their one season in super league

#29 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Oracle Finnigan and Coyle have gone to Leigh from Widnes and they where rubbish when played last year too.Widnes have some good players and won't come bottom again.

#30 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hope there's some fit to play for us next week mate ... Betts in RLE was talking about a lengthy injury list ! Who's left ?

Edited by DavidM, 28 January 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#31 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

So a top side in the Championship take two Widnes rejects is ok though?

#32 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Widnes also had a lot of injuries last year to important players also did not help their postion.Not sure on Widnes players available mate.

#33 topladtownie

topladtownie
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Living on cloud cuckoo land mate, Raiders will be mid table this season. Our pack is massive, and our backs are classier than ever. Think we can beat likesof yourselves, haven, swinton, dews, keighley, hunslet, esp at home and come away with a bonus point at the very least away from home. The players at Raiders are there cause they want to be, not cause they cant get into the squad of their own team. No subsitute for passion in a shirt

What people tend to forget is that we have a fair squad of 23 players, matching Raiders closely once everyone is
fit, its probably a squad more than capable of competing in the Championship. Of course in the bottom half but should
be just about ok to stay up. Think weakest area is probably half back when everyone is fit, but maybe
Phillips is being looked at to play there. At the start of the season though due to injuries and suspensions, the tie
in with Widnes can only be a good thing. Once everyone though is fit, only if the Widnes players can add something
to the team should they be given a place in the team. As long as Charlton and Oggy are picking the players rather than being told who to play, can't see a problem with the link up.

#34 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Yeh it was 23 in the RLE . Young Dawes has gone missing . And these barbs are ill informed . 23 is a good sized squad , and we've 16 Cumbrians and 2 who live here . Plenty of depth given fitness , plenty of quality and plenty of local passion . Outsiders focusing on the link up should just wait n see how it works like us fans are before they make their digs . It's a sensible precaution against number depletion , and with good quality of replacement . Never knew so many were concerned with our la'al club !

Edited by DavidM, 28 January 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#35 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

So a top side in the Championship take two Widnes rejects is ok though?

The problem is though these top champ clubs can beat you bottom SL clubs so your theory doesn't make much sense.

#36 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Oracle one of your top men this season - Kurt Haggerty - is a Widnes reject is he not?

The Championship clubs squads are listed in todays RLE and whilst most clubs have between 24 and 26 players we have a small squad of 23!!!!

The salary cap notional value system for Championship clubs is also spelled out at the bottom of page 19 of RLE, showing how it works. So, a player like Kevin Brown coming for his 20 minute cameo as H4e was suggesting would cost on the salary cap for that 1 appearance somewhere between £750 to £1500 depending on his SL salary. That is regardless of the cost to the club it goes towards the salary cap total. So, it ain't going to happen is it?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#37 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Thundergaz the way your posts come over you would think you have a super team but i will tell you now mate they will not be looking forward to coming to town?.

#38 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Thundergaz the way your posts come over you would think you have a super team but i will tell you now mate they will not be looking forward to coming to town?.

We have got a very good squad Abu but my posts were not meant to come across that way and if you thought they did I appologise. No one likes going to Cumbria to play your teams but I'm very confident we will beat all 3 of your teams away and home. We have only lost 4 league games in 3 seasons. I will admit though I've never ever been as confident as I am now of beating the 3 Cumbrian teams its always hard to win in your neck of the woods but I'm very confident we have sufficient fire power to see you 3 off for the first time in ages.

#39 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

No doubt about it mate . But it's totally irrelevant . We're in two separate mini leagues here , and our season won't depend on what we do against the top 5 . I think you'll romp this league again your squad is outstanding at this level . We just need to survive by performing against the majority with the same aims as us , as Brett Carter says in his Love RL interview .

Edited by DavidM, 28 January 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#40 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

No doubt about it mate . But it's totally irrelevant . We're in two separate mini leagues here , and our season won't depend on what we do against the top 5 . I think you'll romp this league again your squad is outstanding at this level .

I agree David I think the most important games for you 3 will be the local games and donny, York and hunslet 2 of you 6 will get relegated I think. Also I have a feeling which Cumbrian team loses the most local games between you 3 will be one of the relegated teams along with one of the other 5. But on the whole I hope you Cumbrian teams stay up because you bring more to the champ than most clubs do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users