Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Odds !

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

We've all a fighting chance no doubt . Barrow are always a tough nut to crack , and pain me as it may I've no doubt Haven will be a different proposition this year under Woodsy and with some good recruitment , and we have quality in a smaller unit . The lower 9 if you like will be a fairly even scrap and after years of lesser competition I think it's just fantastic , and the shot in the arm our club needed . Being involved in this season deserves numbers flooding back to watch .

#42 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

The problem is though these top champ clubs can beat you bottom SL clubs so your theory doesn't make much sense.

Keeps Workington players fresh mate.Say a player of similar ability to a Widnes Dr player, he can have time to recover,rather than play 80% fit and not perform to his best.Yes the top Championship sides could on one off games.But the full-time players should be fitter on theory.

#43 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Keeps Workington players fresh mate.Say a player of similar ability to a Widnes Dr player, he can have time to recover,rather than play 80% fit and not perform to his best.Yes the top Championship sides could on one off games.But the full-time players should be fitter on theory.

I totally agree with all that but our fitness levels like everything at our club now is based on Everything SL clubs do. Obviously full time training is a lot better than part time training but if we lack one thing it's not fitness but I understand teams like town etc will relish the full time fitness players.

#44 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

I totally agree with all that but our fitness levels like everything at our club now is based on Everything SL clubs do. Obviously full time training is a lot better than part time training but if we lack one thing it's not fitness but I understand teams like town etc will relish the full time fitness players.

With borrowing full-time players it should make the Championship very competitve mate.I remember Widnes in it, and thought some very good players, and if I was a Scout I would look regularly.At Featherstone I would not mind Sam Smeaton.Tommy Sexton could play Superleague, but probably got a good job to go part time.Chris Hill and Hardacker learned from the Championship.I am hoping Tom Gilmore gets game time at Workington,and then comes back as a class act.

Edited by widnesrlfc, 28 January 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#45 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

But still, does everyone forget that Widnes finished BOTTOM of super league and got knocked out of the challenge cup by CC1 opposition? Somehow town fans seem to see Widnes as the worldbeaters they were in the early 80's, rather than whipping boys they currently are. Widnes cast offs wouldnt make me optimistic.

No wonder alot of threads on this forum turn into slanging matches when people like you are here to post on them. I cant recall anyone making the widnes team out to be world beaters. I only sense possible excitement that some up and coming potential could be playing for town, but you appear to have got out your pram at the suggestion that Barrow's odds are a little short and hence have put a post up that comes across as a bit short if you get my drift?

Also, lets not forget its ALOT easier for a championship team to get fired up for a oneoff cup match against a 'lesser' super league team. If said championship team was in super league they'd be getting battered within a few weeks of the season starting. Comparisons due to a win in the cup are a waste of time to me.

#46 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

But still, does everyone forget that Widnes finished BOTTOM of super league and got knocked out of the challenge cup by CC1 opposition? Somehow town fans seem to see Widnes as the worldbeaters they were in the early 80's, rather than whipping boys they currently are. Widnes cast offs wouldnt make me optimistic.

Widnes have had one season of super league and got knocked out of the challenge cup by St Helens. I can see why your called Oracle......
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#47 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Up the Rams

Are you still claiming to be a dewsbury fan? Aaron Lesters nickname was luggsy (well one of them)
Probably would've been a better idea if trying to appear to not be a jam fan to not use the nickname of a jam 'legend' as your avatar

#48 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Are you still claiming to be a dewsbury fan? Aaron Lesters nickname was luggsy (well one of them)
Probably would've been a better idea if trying to appear to not be a jam fan to not use the nickname of a jam 'legend' as your avatar

We saw through the pretend Dewsbury allegiance a while ago mate. He is fooling nobody!
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#49 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Living on cloud cuckoo land mate, Raiders will be mid table this season. Our pack is massive, and our backs are classier than ever. Think we can beat likesof yourselves, haven, swinton, dews, keighley, hunslet, esp at home and come away with a bonus point at the very least away from home. The players at Raiders are there cause they want to be, not cause they cant get into the squad of their own team. No subsitute for passion in a shirt

your pack is massive? yeah whitehead,butler etc are big guys but there about as mobile as a vending machine. you have some good players like campbell in the backs but the lads you signed from haven are pretty average at best.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#50 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 531 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

your pack is massive? yeah whitehead,butler etc are big guys but there about as mobile as a vending machine. you have some good players like campbell in the backs but the lads you signed from haven are pretty average at best.

wipers not a bad wing/centre as for haggerty he might be massive but doesnt play to his size and weight goes to ground to easy when getting tackled thats if he hasnt already knocked on when looking at his tackler

#51 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Living on cloud cuckoo land mate, Raiders will be mid table this season. Our pack is massive, and our backs are classier than ever. Think we can beat likesof yourselves, haven, swinton, dews, keighley, hunslet, esp at home and come away with a bonus point at the very least away from home. The players at Raiders are there cause they want to be, not cause they cant get into the squad of their own team. No subsitute for passion in a shirt

oracle i agree barrow are a handy side but if you pick some injuries up you could struggle like any other club. think not being linked up with a SL club could hinder you in this tough league

#52 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

oracle i agree barrow are a handy side but if you pick some injuries up you could struggle like any other club. think not being linked up with a SL club could hinder you in this tough league

You've hit the nail on the head there town4me. If Barrow get a run of injuries like we did where do they look for replacements? SL clubs will be allowing their players to go to their partner clubs on the DR system and so how many of them will allow players to go on loan to other Championship clubs to act as opposition to their partners?

I don't particularly like the system but if there is to be one then I think it's better to be in than struggle on a matter of principle.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#53 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

I think you are in for a bit of a shock oracle. Swinton and keighley and dewsbury are no mugs by any means and I doubt you will beat any of the 3 to be honest. Your best chances of wins will come from York, hunslet and the 3 other promoted teams. But even hunslet and York have an edge on you by knowing what this league takes to stay in it so I wouldn't be counting my chickens just yet mate.

#54 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Widnes have had one season of super league and got knocked out of the challenge cup by St Helens. I can see why your called Oracle......

my mistake, it was Castleford i was thinking of, not Widnes.
As for comments regarding injuries to Barrows squad and not having immediate cover due to no link up, its true, its a risk. But theres always the amature game to look at, and some of our better performers last year (Dawson, Dandy, Haney & Toal) came from the amature game, and we would have seen Literland shine if not for injury.
Whitehead & Butler are plodders, but they're cover for others, dont see either getting game time unless we have injuries.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#55 kieran

kieran
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Didnt Fev knock Castleford out? there not a CC1?

#56 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

As for comments regarding injuries to Barrows squad and not having immediate cover due to no link up, its true, its a risk. But theres always the amature game to look at, and some of our better performers last year (Dawson, Dandy, Haney & Toal) came from the amature game, and we would have seen Literland shine if not for injury.
Whitehead & Butler are plodders, but they're cover for others, dont see either getting game time unless we have injuries.

You are forgetting that we are a division higher this year Oracle and the step up from amateur to this level may be a step too far. Without injuries Town would have been Champions last year but look what happened to us sending half a team to Gateshead and losing.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#57 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

yes i agree keith the step up from amatuer to championship is huge. i'm not convinced by this DR system but it does give a sense of security regarding injuries ruining our season or costing us dear like they did last season.

#58 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Once town had beaten Barrow it would've been a formality barring injury/suspension

#59 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

I think you are in for a bit of a shock oracle. Swinton and keighley and dewsbury are no mugs by any means and I doubt you will beat any of the 3 to be honest. Your best chances of wins will come from York, hunslet and the 3 other promoted teams. But even hunslet and York have an edge on you by knowing what this league takes to stay in it so I wouldn't be counting my chickens just yet mate.

Did you check Town's results against Sheffield, Swinton and Batley last year? Although all 3 beat us Town played well against them.
"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#60 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

Did you check Town's results against Sheffield, Swinton and Batley last year? Although all 3 beat us Town played well against them.

I agree you gave them good games but they were one off games. It's a lot different when your playing them week in week out. This league is a lot more competitive than SL I think. I do hope you stay up though because I wouldn't wish any team to be relegated into the league of oblivion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users