Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leigh highlights

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

For those stupid enough to go a reminder and for those who couldn`t a brief glimpse of the match and the conditions

#2 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

And I thought there'd been a switch to summer rugby! :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#3 PaulT

PaulT
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

You've lived in America too long Geoff! That is the British summer!

Posted Image

#4 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

You've lived in America too long Geoff! That is the British summer!

Aha!
My daughter, also a Lions fan, lives in Fairbanks Alaska, where it is -45 F today! Fortunately she'll be back to the relative warmth of Vermont before next winter. It's a mild +12 F here today!
Posted Image

#5 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Maybe Blue Monkey can confirm that it was 50 years ago that RL shut down for a month due to frozen pitches. The Lions were mid table but then went on to win every match and ended up Champions! Might that be a good omen for the upcoming season?
Posted Image

#6 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Maybe Blue Monkey can confirm that it was 50 years ago that RL shut down for a month due to frozen pitches. The Lions were mid table but then went on to win every match and ended up Champions! Might that be a good omen for the upcoming season?

"for a month"? You must be joking, the whole country endured a forced sporting shutdown for nearer THREE months (just after Christmas till March) All outdoor sports were wiped out by the prolonged Siberian-######-Arctic conditions. Football, Racing, Rugby League, Rugby Union, outdoor tiddlewinks, etc disappeared during this freak winter.
The football pools (remember them?) had to operate by a specially convened 'Pools Panel' made up of the game's 'experts', respected players, club chairmen and administrators etc who every Saturday 'decided' on what the likely outcome of each match might have been given a normal winter's scenario.
Away from the sports calendar, day to day life was badly disrupted too, e.g., in the building trade, bricklayers couldn't do their work because of the constant sub-zero temperature. The mortar for the bricks just couldn't be applied as you can imagine.
A couple of weeks ago on the Winterwatch TV programme, the whole episode was devoted to showing a fascinating documentary made by the BBC during that 1963 winter. It was on the i-Player, but it's been taken off now.
The only other winter in my lifetime to match the horrors of 1963 was the blizzard blown, snowdrift ridden winter of 1947. I can't actually recall it myself - I was only 6 months old at the time - but my dad told me he had to dig out a passage through the heaps of snow just to get to the front gate.

Roll on spring eh?

#7 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

I can thank the harsh winter of 1963 in making me a true Swintonian. I was born in January of that year and due to the snow, there was no way my mum was able to get to hospital nor a midwife to her. My enterance to this earth was left in the trusty hands of my dad at home in Calder Dr a stones throw from Mecca aka Station Rd.

#8 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

. My enterance to this earth was left in the trusty hands of my dad at home in Calder Dr a stones throw from Mecca aka Station Rd.

Calder Drive? I remember watching that being built while attending Cromwell Road Boys' School (now Swinton High). You could see the building work going on from the classrooms overlooking Destructor Road (between Cromwell Road and Mossfield Road).

#9 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

"for a month"? You must be joking, the whole country endured a forced sporting shutdown for nearer THREE months (just after Christmas till March)

Spot on again Blue Monkey - I remember that winter well - just checked one of my old programmes - we played Bramley at home on December 22nd 1962 and did not play our next game until March 6th 1963 at home in the cup against Widnes

#10 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

OK, I stand corrected, it was closer to three months! I remember all the downspouts froze and I couldn't ride to work on my bike!

I was 4 in 1947 and don't remember much but do remember my dad saying none of the buses were running on Bolton Road.

Here's a trivia question for you. Which Lions player came out of the freeze up in the best shape of his life and why?
Posted Image

#11 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

OK, I stand corrected, it was closer to three months! I remember all the downspouts froze and I couldn't ride to work on my bike!

Here's a trivia question for you. Which Lions player came out of the freeze up in the best shape of his life and why?

Was it that certain stand off half ("hard-as-nails") who did 'porridge' for a serious motoring offence?

#12 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Was it that certain stand off half ("hard-as-nails") who did 'porridge' for a serious motoring offence?

Right on!

I seem to remember he was a PE instructor during that period!
Posted Image

#13 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

I was born June 1962, so I don't remember that particular winter, my Grandad died in the harsh winter of 1940, walking my Dad & Auntie back from Preston where they were evacuated to.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies