Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Seriously underwhelming...

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

If this is a summary of the pre-season by one of our game's supporters...

http://www.guardian....per-league-2013

#2 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

If this is a summary of the pre-season by one of our game's supporters...

http://www.guardian....per-league-2013

It is, and a very good honest one too.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#3 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,800 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

The references to Big 4 frustrate me somewhat.

The traditional Big 4 that people banged on about in SL were Saints, Wigan, Bradford and Leeds. These were the Big 4 no matter where they finished or how well they did. People always moaned that we need a new club to break into that group.

Well, haven't we had that in the last 4 years? Wire have won 3 Challenge Cups, 1 LLS and been runner up in 1 GF, whilst Bradford have plummeted spectacularly. Yet we still get people complaining about the Big 4, completely ignoring the fact that a new club absolutely has gatecrashed the party.

No doubt if Catalan do well over the next few years at the expense of Saints (who have won ###### all for a while now), people will discretely change Catalan into a Big 4 team with Wire, Leeds and Wigan - and still moan that the Big 4 are dominant and need to be broken!

#4 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Only team I can see challenging Wigan Warrington ST Helen's and Leeds is Hull and you can forget the rest I'm not saying teams won't beat them but it will be those teams doing the business again

#5 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

The references to Big 4 frustrate me somewhat.

The traditional Big 4 that people banged on about in SL were Saints, Wigan, Bradford and Leeds. These were the Big 4 no matter where they finished or how well they did. People always moaned that we need a new club to break into that group.

Well, haven't we had that in the last 4 years? Wire have won 3 Challenge Cups, 1 LLS and been runner up in 1 GF, whilst Bradford have plummeted spectacularly. Yet we still get people complaining about the Big 4, completely ignoring the fact that a new club absolutely has gatecrashed the party.

No doubt if Catalan do well over the next few years at the expense of Saints (who have won ###### all for a while now), people will discretely change Catalan into a Big 4 team with Wire, Leeds and Wigan - and still moan that the Big 4 are dominant and need to be broken!

The big four is dead - Long live the big four.

Nothing has really changed apart from the names big Four = Wigan, Leeds, Wire and Saints. In any order you like.

The only bit of improvement is just below the big four, where previously there was a homogenous lump stretching down to the bottom three or four, we now have the likes of Huddersfiled and maybe Hull who are clearly better than the rump and keep threatening to join the party at the top - so far without any consistent success. Plus ça change.....?
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#6 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Andy Wilson isn't a fan if RL

having listened to his opinions and read his pieces on the game it's the only explanation I can think of

Mind, he joins a lot of people on this forum in that category too.

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,800 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Nothing has really changed apart from the names big Four = Wigan, Leeds, Wire and Saints. In any order you like.

But that's exactly the point, the big 4 has changed, it has a different team in it, so a club did come in and challenge the stronghold successfully (across the 2 cups).

Not enough for my liking, but hopefully that's where Hull, Hudds and Catalan can step in.

#8 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 811 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

"After the appalling decision to retain the top-eight play-offs, …"

he's spot on there

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,800 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

"After the appalling decision to retain the top-eight play-offs, …"

he's spot on there

And doesn't he like to bang on about this as though it is a fact.

#10 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

But that's exactly the point, the big 4 has changed, it has a different team in it, so a club did come in and challenge the stronghold successfully (across the 2 cups).

It's still not quite the point though.

We had a big four for years and along came Warrington.

We still only then had a big four.

What we want is for more clubs to come up to the standard of the original four and add to that competitive group.

What we wanted surely was Warrington to make it a big five and then for someone like Hull to make it into a big six.

The aim of a quality Superleaue is 14 quality Superleague clubs, whatever that is.

I know what it's not, and it isn't clubs who can't find the wages, don't produce the players and, don't attract the fans.

That's the frustration

#11 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Andy Wilson isn't a fan if RL

having listened to his opinions and read his pieces on the game it's the only explanation I can think of

Mind, he joins a lot of people on this forum in that category too.

His piece was spot on as far as I can see?

And I don't think I can do much more to be a bigger fan of RL than I am.

Do explain?

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

So if a different team won SL every year, it would still be fair to refer to a big 4? The NRL tends to be won by different teams every year....is this the 'big 1'.
I hardly hear reference to the 'big 2' in the PL.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,800 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

It's still not quite the point though.

We had a big four for years and along came Warrington.

We still only then had a big four.

What we want is for more clubs to come up to the standard of the original four and add to that competitive group.

What we wanted surely was Warrington to make it a big five and then for someone like Hull to make it into a big six.

The aim of a quality Superleaue is 14 quality Superleague clubs, whatever that is.

I know what it's not, and it isn't clubs who can't find the wages, don't produce the players and, don't attract the fans.

That's the frustration

Anybody who thinks we will have 14 competitive teams 'in-season' is living in cloud cuckoo land - and tbh it just doesn't happen in many places across the world.

The Big 4 phrase was brought in to refer to Wigan, Saints, Leeds and Bradford as they were pretty much winning everything and dominating. This phrase is still used (I suggest to highlight a lack of variety) when in fact the Big 4 has changed in its make-up. That is ignored and the old Big 4 thing is still rolled out despite the fact that it was successfully gatecrashed.

Leeds won from 5th, so that suggests that we have another team entering the top 4 of the league - we have also seen Hudds under-perform due to internatl issues I'd suggest.

The success we can hope for is a team coming 10th one year and then progressing to top 4 the next and so on. I've never seen a league table yet that has a bunched listing, there are always strong teams and weak teams.

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,800 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

So if a different team won SL every year, it would still be fair to refer to a big 4? The NRL tends to be won by different teams every year....is this the 'big 1'.
I hardly hear reference to the 'big 2' in the PL.

For many of the early years I watched RL there was a Big 1.

Maybe people were happier then because we had piddly pots like the County cups and Regal trophy for us smaller cups to pick up the odd time.

#15 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Having a big 4 in the Premier League (with 6 more teams) never seems to be a cause for criticism. It's a statistically decent proportion. This year I coud see 6 teams winning a major trophy without that being a surprise. His big 4 plus Cats and FC.

#16 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Andy Wilson is in India at the moment reporting on cricket and had been for a while. He must have cobbled this together from second hand information.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#17 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

The PL will be won by either Man U or City and possibly Chelsea. That's it. And we get slated for having the same old faces?

#18 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

It may not have been an overly positive article but if was accurate I thought.
What parts did he make up?

#19 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

The PL will be won by either Man U or City and possibly Chelsea. That's it. And we get slated for having the same old faces?

The Premier league has become more of a three horse race in the last decade to its detriment in my opinion, I used to follow it from a distance some years ago, cant be arsed now its as boring as batshit.
As an outsider I find it hard to understand the popularity of the game and the foregone conclusions in many of the match ups....... (gotta be careful here) hardly seems like a contest or entertainment at all.
Thank God for League.

Edited by AndyCapp, 27 January 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#20 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

He's ok is Andy Wilson I reckon. He isn't all doom and gloom. But I'm not sure fitting a few articles inbetween cricket stories is good enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users