RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Seriously underwhelming...

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

Andy Wilson like most RL journalists though, often can't help but fall into the trap of focusing on the negatives.

For all that we should be pleased that folk like Wilson aren't airhead cheerleaders for the sport they are the only voices out there.

And so all the public ever hears is gloom, gloom, gloom.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#42 amh

amh
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

I hope the final para is the loudest message, even though it doesn't take away the fact that we are struggling (not as bad as some)
http://mobile.thetel...gue/?ref=twtrec

“The £60million combined debt of 11 Super League teams should be contextualised. The figure pales into insignificance compared to the debts accrued by Premiership and Championship football clubs and many Premiership rugby union clubs.”

Impeccable timing <_< at season launch

Edited by amh, 28 January 2013 - 07:49 AM.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#43 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

It'll be drowned out by the sheer volume of coverage we get about the actual sport and what to look out for on the field.

Oh.
- Severus, July 2012

#44 amh

amh
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

we need as fans to give a solid finger to this and talk about how excited we are for the season, drown it out

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#45 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

I hope the final para is the loudest message, even though it doesn't take away the fact that we are struggling (bot as bad as some)

“The £60million combined debt of 11 Super League teams should be contextualised. The figure pales into insignificance compared to the debts accrued by Premiership and Championship football clubs and many Premiership rugby union clubs.”

That'll have any potential sponsors queuing up to get involved for this season.... :unsure:

#46 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

we need as fans to give a solid finger to this and talk about how excited we are for the season, drown it out

Hmmm ... have you met many RL fans?
- Severus, July 2012

#47 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

Hmmm ... have you met many RL fans?

Exactly! Jon Wilkin said the other week that if he could fix one thing in RL, it would be our own negativity about the sport. He likened the attitude of many people in RL to someone liking a cosy, quiet, little restaurant. They don't want to tell anyone else how good it is, in case more people start coming and it stops being the cosy, quite little restaurant.

#48 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

Reading Hadfield's piece I scrolled down the page looking for the rest of it..........

Not just me then. :unsure:

Looks to me as though it's been heavily edited. It would be interesting to see these articles in their entirety as originally written before the papers editors get at them.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#49 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,529 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

It'll be drowned out by the sheer volume of coverage we get about the actual sport and what to look out for on the field.

Oh.

On the same weekend that some RU internationals get played you mean?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#50 brooza

brooza
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Huddersfield are bigger than Catalans tbf

So Catalans big 8

Only for half of the season though.

So Big 7½

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#51 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 610 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Exactly! Jon Wilkin said the other week that if he could fix one thing in RL, it would be our own negativity about the sport. He likened the attitude of many people in RL to someone liking a cosy, quiet, little restaurant. They don't want to tell anyone else how good it is, in case more people start coming and it stops being the cosy, quite little restaurant.

The same is true of most other sports. RL fans complain a lot less regularly than Football supporters. People in the UK like to complain it is not something specific to RL.

#52 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 856 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

I see your point I think it is good that Warrington have come into things to spice it all up, but it is a shame to have lost Bradford out of the "Big" group.

But really that is not the way to see if you've got a good product. It doesn't matter whose winning the league it matters how competitive it is overall.

The fact is that Super League has been established for ages now, and needs to become more competitive if it ever wants to get bigger:

NRL 2012. Difference between #1 and #16 - 24 points.
NRL 2012. Difference between #2 and #15 - just 18 points.
SL 2012. Difference between #1 and #14 - 30 points.

NRL 2012. MATCH POINTS difference between best and worst - 461
SL 2012. MATCH POINTS difference between best and worst - a ridiculous 1,095

I don't wish to be pessimistic it's a great league to watch I'm just making a point that SL will never expand television-wise whilst there are cricket scores.

I don't care who wins 2013 or who becomes a 'big' club I would like to see a more united competitive league on the pitch for the new season.

Edited by ShotgunGold, 28 January 2013 - 11:31 PM.

#53 brooza

brooza
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

One thing to bear in mind is that there are more games in SL, so that will inflate the points gap

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#54 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,352 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

I see your point I think it is good that Warrington have come into things to spice it all up, but it is a shame to have lost Bradford out of the "Big" group.

But really that is not the way to see if you've got a good product. It doesn't matter whose winning the league it matters how competitive it is overall.

The fact is that Super League has been established for ages now, and needs to become more competitive if it ever wants to get bigger:

NRL 2012. MATCH POINTS difference between best and worst - 461
SL 2012. MATCH POINTS difference between best and worst - a ridiculous 1,095

I don't wish to be pessimistic it's a great league to watch I'm just making a point that SL will never expand television-wise whilst there are cricket scores.

I don't care who wins 2013 or who becomes a 'big' club I would like to see a more united competitive league on the pitch for the new season.

Interesting post.

There will always be cricket scores when clubs are allowed into SL then don't compete from the outset by setting player budgets at a third below the salary spend norm, and when more clubs are allowed in than there are good enough players to stock them.

RFL/SLE clearly recognise this when the only suggestions from their power bases are a drop to 12 or 10 SL clubs.

Edited by The Parksider, 29 January 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#55 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

I hope the final para is the loudest message, even though it doesn't take away the fact that we are struggling (not as bad as some)

Who do you believe, the guy from the RFL stated that the 60 million figure is actually 2 million and when divided by the clubs is nothing
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#56 brooza

brooza
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Who do you believe, the guy from the RFL stated that the 60 million figure is actually 2 million and when divided by the clubs is nothing

Yup.

#57 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

One thing to bear in mind is that there are more games in SL, so that will inflate the points gap

Just to be clearer, they also all get four points because of the bye weeks, potentially inflating the point total for bottom NRL clubs compared to SL ones.

#58 brooza

brooza
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Just to be clearer, they also all get four points because of the bye weeks, potentially inflating the point total for bottom NRL clubs compared to SL ones.

Well that seems pointless. Do they all get the same number of byes? And all get 4 points added? Seems pointless to add the 4 points if so

#59 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Well that seems pointless. Do they all get the same number of byes? And all get 4 points added? Seems pointless to add the 4 points if so

Just to be clear, I agree! Their season is 26 weeks long but teams only play 24 games so they all get two bye weeks. But they "earn" 2 points when on a bye, so Paramatta finished bottom on 16 points even though they only won 6 matches (and no draws). They make no difference to the table at all for deciding positions.

But had they been forced to play those weeks it is not inconceivable that Canterbury would have won their extra games (so still finish on 40 points) and Paramatta lose theirs, making the difference between top and bottom 28 points.

#60 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 856 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

Just to be clear, I agree! Their season is 26 weeks long but teams only play 24 games so they all get two bye weeks. But they "earn" 2 points when on a bye, so Paramatta finished bottom on 16 points even though they only won 6 matches (and no draws). They make no difference to the table at all for deciding positions.

But had they been forced to play those weeks it is not inconceivable that Canterbury would have won their extra games (so still finish on 40 points) and Paramatta lose theirs, making the difference between top and bottom 28 points.

I genuinely had no idea this happened.

What about match points though?? Two table points are given but are any match points given (say a 24-0 win or whatever)?? Otherwise it's a win but with no scoring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users