Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Matchday Magazine Revamped for 2013

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

Yeah we got beat shocking day at the office. Oh well champions league will have to do this year.

Hope you didn't put any bets on this weekend with your teams Gaz, Montrose and Brentford

Tell me about it, Rafa OUT!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#22 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Somewhere in a dusty box in a corner of the loft I've got the original program with that cover from 1980 !!

Retro covers from the club's past is an excellent idea !! Among those that spring to my mind include the one from the early days at the dog track with an illustration of a player in a green shirt with the "tuning fork" posts visible in the background; and from our time at Elland Road, a photo of a train carrying the nameplate "Hunslet" (obviously built at the Engine Works) climbing a steep incline in somewhere like Bolivia or Peru.

One I don't want to see again is from the first season at Elland Road, it was headlined "Hunslet at United" and was designed in yellow and blue to appeal to Leeds United fans !!

Cheers Hawkwindbag, The one from the Dog track will feature, as will many more, I have selected a number of programmes from the 60's all the way through to the late 1990's. I thought the front cover looked great yesterday, i wasn't too sure how it would look, but when i saw how well it had printed i was chuffed, really did look excellent. Was really pleased with the response from our supporters on the programme, i thought it would be good way to celebrate our history and heritage especially with the Leeds Partnership etc. I think yesterday was the most programmes we have sold on one single match day for a lot of years, completely sold out.

Edited by Blackpool Hawk, 28 January 2013 - 08:25 AM.

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#23 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

Great looking program Gaz hope my old donated program's are being put to some good use pal :)

Cheers mate, they certainly are!!

#24 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

yesterdays programme listed on e-bay at £0.90.
Good idea of Blackpools to use the old programme covers each game this season-- thanks from the Hunslet programme editor at the Greyhound stadium, Mount Pleasant and Elland Road.
Confirming that the one with the diesel locomotive named Hunslet (I have that nameplate) was taken in Chile, it also as "made in Hunslet" on the manufacturers nameplate on the side of the cab. I believe that the photograph was given to me by Andy Bateman who worked at the Hunslet Engine Co.
The one in blue and yellow saying "Hunslet at United was a gesture from club Chairman Jerry Mason to United Chairman Manny Cousins in helping Hunslet to come back to South Leeds.

#25 Hunslet2012

Hunslet2012
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Wife got there at 2pm programmes sold out so looks like im bidding on friskys on ebay..,

Edited by Hunslet2012, 28 January 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#26 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 750 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Wife got there at 2pm programmes sold out so looks like im bidding on friskys on ebay..,

I got there at 2.15 and plenty programmes left then.
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#27 Hunslet2012

Hunslet2012
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Yes probably so but the wife never shuts up gabbing

#28 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Sunday's Retro Matchday Magazine front cover, i love it, whats your opinions?

Posted Image

Edited by Blackpool Hawk, 30 January 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#29 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 877 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

That's the one from the Greyhound Stadium I was on about only the other day !! The player in a green shirt and the tuning fork posts in the background !!

#30 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

That's the one from the Greyhound Stadium I was on about only the other day !! The player in a green shirt and the tuning fork posts in the background !!

Indeed it is, superb cover. What year was that, 1974/75 season?

#31 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 877 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

If it was from as early as that they must have kept it on for a few seasons, because I didn't start going regularly until a season or two after that.

For a real retro feel for this game I think we should bring back those tuning fork posts !!!

#32 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

If it was from as early as that they must have kept it on for a few seasons, because I didn't start going regularly until a season or two after that.

For a real retro feel for this game I think we should bring back those tuning fork posts !!!

Il get on to the council now, see if there's anything they can do :)

On a serious not if anyone wants to put forward a programme cover from the past to be used this season please do so, we have another 12 home games after Sunday so plenty of covers to feature.

#33 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Brilliant this. This season, should try and get the front cover programmes from all the grounds we played at. If we get a home challange cup tie, the programme should be from the 65 final.

These covers definitely make the programmes more collectable.

#34 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Think that's a great idea to get one from each of the stadiums wehave played at, We have covers from the Parkside, Bramley era, and also Elland Road, has anyone know or can share one from the Batley era?

We could also choose one from the SLS era from 1995 onwards so if there any recommendations please let me know.

#35 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

ive got loads from way back when, esp The Parksider from the sixties which always showed Denis Tate diving over in the corner at Parkside against Batley against a sea of flat caps, i,ll dig em out and bring em down.
Posted Image

#36 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Sunday's Retro Matchday Magazine front cover, i love it, whats your opinions?

Posted Image

Can't think there'll be many clubs in any sport with a better looking programme than that this weekend!

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#37 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

todays comp, a free pint to the 1st winner, whose that player on the front cover
Posted Image

#38 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

todays comp, a free pint to the 1st winner, whose that player on the front cover

I'll start with a complete guess. . .

Jack Richardson.

#39 Cardigan Arms

Cardigan Arms
  • Coach
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

David Marshall

#40 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Great programme, brings back great memories but unfortunately not of the player on the cover. I'll have a punt at Geoff crewdson.

I will be digging out my New Hunslet shirt (I blagged from Jimmy Crampton) for Sunday. Has anyone got any other souvenirs from that era. We had some really cool silk scarves as I remember.

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users